No Point Light Shadows (UE5 Preview 1)

No matter what I tried, I can’t get point light shadows to work. Instead it looks like this.

The error is

RUNTIME DOES NOT SUPPORT WHOLE SCENE POINT LIGHT SHADOWS (Missing Vertexshader Layer Support)

Which can be seen in this image.

Unreal Engine Version: 5.0 Preview 1
RHI: DirectX 11 (GPU doesn’t support DirectX 12)

1 Like

I think it needs DirectX 12 Ultimate to solve this shader issue.

DirectX 12 Ultimate is the newest version of DirectX.

DirectX 12 Ultimate in Windows 11 provides new features like ray tracing, variable rate shading, mesh shaders, and sampler feedback.

DirectX 12 Ultimate requirements:

Currently, only the GeForce RTX series graphics PCs support the DirectX 12 Ultimate gaming features.

DirectX 12 Ultimate supported graphics cards: GeForce RTX 3090, 3080 (Ti), 3070 (Ti), 3060 (Ti), RTX 30/20 series laptops, TITAN RTX, 2080 (Ti), 2080 Super, 2070 (Ti), 2070 Super, 2060, 2060 Super.

1 Like

I already solved this long ago.

Switching to regular DX12 fixed it.

1 Like

I’m now getting this error. Please explain how you went about sorting it out. Thanks in advance,

By switching to DirectX 12, i believe. If you get it on DirectX 12, report it to Epic.

You can do this by setting your default RHI to DirectX 12 or appending -dx12 in your editor’s shortcut.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am using DX12 and have set it in my project settings as well.
It may be my graphics cards is way too old.
I will report to Epic and see if they have any solution.
Thanks for the reply.
Have a great day.

Mind telling me what GPU you have?

Running a GTX 750 Ti on my host system and an RTX 3090 on a remote machine.

If you have AT MINIMUM feature level 11.1 you should be fine.

I’m almost embarrassed to say :slight_smile:
I’m using a GTX660. It was actually more than enough and never gave me problems until UE5.1.
That’s when I started getting GPU errors and regular editor crashes.
May be time for me to finally upgrade. Cards these days are just very pricey. Particularly in my country where the exchange rate has become ridiculous.
Do you have any problems with the 750Ti?

1 Like

It has feature level 11.0 and DirectX 12 support. Other than the poor performance, it’s fine as long you turn down the settings to high or medium. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pretty sure you can find ones for pretty cheap on Ebay, though…do your research. :wink:

Though, i’d recommend a 1050 Ti or something to get you by.

1 Like

Cheers.
I appreciate the reply and information.
Have a great weekend.

1 Like