Movable objects become completely black in standalone / packaged mode

Hey, I’ve been scratching my head about this for the past few days and I can’t pinpoint what’s causing it.

In the engine viewport, everything looks as it should:

For whatever reason though, in standalone and packaged builds, it looks like this:

All movable actors / skeletal meshes are completely black, similar to above. I had a friend try it on his version of the project, and he gets the same result, so it’s not a hardware issue.

The strangest part is that for a split second when loading into the level, there’s a few frames that show the meshes being lit correctly, like in the first pic, but then they switch to being dark. I tried unhooking all of the blueprint related stuff to see if there was something that was loading and causing it to go black, no dice.

Anyone have a clue as to what may be causing this?

Update, turns out that it doesn’t just happen in standalone, it also happens if I play in the selected viewport. Everything becomes black on play.

Hello:

So, there could be a few reasons for this.

One reason could be that the scaling is negative. Make sure that there are no negative values in its TRANSFORM.

Another reason could be because the materials do not support Nanite. So, try disabling it.

The other I can think of is that SUBSTRATE MATERIALS needs to be enabled… I’m assuming that these are NOT native materials to Unreal, and that you created/downloaded them:

What I find interesting is someone else had a similar issue, but it was STATIC meshes, not movable, that were the issue:

Try diagnosing the issue by using NATIVE materials on those meshes to see if the problem persists. If it does, then there’s an issue with your project, and I would suggest migrating the entire thing into a fresh/empty project.

Found the issue, there was a level that was being streamed in. For whatever reason, the builddata for that level was overwriting the base level’s. I deleted the build data for the streamed in level and that fixed it. Hope this helps someone.