LPV center displayed incorrectly (4.11)

After updating to to 4.11, I noticed a weird lighting issue on some parts of my level. It’s hard to describe, but it looks like LPV lighting is being removed or darkened at the camera location (center of the volume I suppose). The problem becomes even more severe if there’s an object with emissive lighting nearby, which causes the area around the camera to be strangely illuminated (see pictures below).

I could easy reproduce the emissive lighting issue in a new project (download link below). The darkening is harder to reproduce, as it requires a specific lighting setup. I could send my project privately if it helps to pinpoint the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

[Sample Project Download (25 MB)][1]

Hi Efrye,

From everything I see in the images and the sample project you’ve provided this is intended behavior for LPV lighting.

I’ve attached an image below to help demonstrate how the blue bounding box is representative of the area that LPV will be generated. The default size (controlled in the Post Process Volume) is large and will cause a lot of light bleed due to resolution issue of the level within the bounds box. If you lower the distance you get more accuracy, but you loose further distances. This was not apparent in your test project linked since no LPV settings had been adjusted. The light leak is common. If you’ve adjusted this in your personal project, only what is within the bounds will have Dynamic GI, and since it’s voxels there is a lot of light leak that can happen. With this being said, I’m not seeing a bug here or any misrepresentation of LPV in the scene based on the settings listed.

Hey Tim, thanks for your reply.

I don’t believe this is a common light bleeding issue, or at least it doesn’t look like one to me. I also never had this problem in any previous version of the engine.

There’s almost no illumination coming from the emissive material itself, but a very strong illumination on objects near the camera. This illuminated area is moving around as I move the camera. The same goes for the dark spot in the third picture in my first post - it’s not always in the same place, but appears whenever the camera gets close to an object.

Hopefully the video below can better illustrate what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/TlTPKAj.gif

Thanks for checking back. I was wrong on the first post and now looking at this in comparison between 4.10 this was a regression. Checking it in our internal build of 4.12 this appears to have been resolved although I don’t see a ticket that was entered for the issue specifically.

Once 4.12 releases this should be resolved in that build.

Thank you, that’s good to know. I’m already looking forward to 4.12 then. : )