How to take screenshots in VR using blueprint with passthrough

I need to take screenshots of what players see in the app with passthrough. How can I do this?

I have added a SceneCaptureComponent2D in vr pawn and writing it to a render target and then exporting to .hdr but I can see unreal engine components but the passthrough is black. I need to take screenshot of what player is seeing with passthrough and convert it to base64. How can i do this in blueprint.

1. I changed the setting as per this and packaged the project to quest 3 and when I try to run, it crashes and doesn’t launch but if I keep the render target and scene cap setting default, it is working but png is not exporting properly

this is a common question.
Meta and Apple Vision Pro don’t allow users to access raw camera buffer thus you can’t access passthrough view programmatically. I wrote details in here.

For your case, Quest handles passthrough view at low level and because softwares doesn’t have access to camera buffer, you can’t see that view in your screenshots.

I didn’t try yet but if you use Quest Link (Passthrough supports it) you can try to take actual screenshot from Windows.

I don’t wanna access camera. Can i Take screenshot of what player is seeing in the head mount display in anyway? My app uses passthrough and everything is working fine.

You indirectly want to access camera buffer.
You have a USceneCapture2D component to capture what user see in your VR scene. If it was just a VR scene, it would be okay but for RGB passthrough, engine have to access front facing raw camera buffer and there is no access for it.

So, you will see your digital objects in front of black screen.

You can see passthrough because Quest device handles it but not engine. So, engine see passthrough as empty area.

Yeah, Thank you for the reply. I can’t believe meta is blocking developers passthrough API access and expect to develop MR applications.

Suggestion: Allow apps to request permission to ac… - Meta Community Forums - 995012 (atmeta.com)

1 Like

Has the problem been solved.I’m also need camera image too.Help

No. As I say before in here and my other answers for other related questions. This is not an Unreal Engine or any game engine related function/problem. Meta doesn’t allow us to access passthrough buffers from RGBD cameras programmatically.

You can record that view with your Android/iOS phone with Meta Quest app to share on YouTube or Twitch but that’s all.