GPU crash opening Metahuman Identity in DX12

Summary

I’m having an issue getting the Metahuman Identity to work in my current project using calibration footage. Basically every time i open the Metahuman Identity file i get a “GPU Crashed or D3D Device Removed” error, with the following details in the crash report:

GPU Crash dump Triggered

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

I have opened the project with both DX11 and Vulkan rendering and while the file opens, it doesn’t work and says it HAS to be in DX12, and won’t track frames so is basically non-functional for the purposes i need.

My PC Specs are:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB DDR4 RAM
AMD RTX 6600XT
Windows 10
UE 5.4.4

I seem to have all the minimum specs at least and I have run Metahumans on my PC before through Livelink with Faceware with the same hardware (except with only 16GB RAM)

I’ve seen some people have this issue but i can’t figure out how to get my GPU to not crash, any advice or solutions?

Please select what you are reporting on:

Creative

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Assets

Steps to Reproduce

Opening Metahuman Identity in UE 5.4.4.

Expected Result

Open Metahuman Identity file.

Observed Result

Crash :frowning:

Platform(s)

Windows PC

hi @Maddjon
The problem is covered here
Reducing GPU Timeout Detection and Recovery Crashes

Check out the forum
Epic’s GPUlightmass - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

I’ve had a look in the project folder to try and find the ConsoleVariable.in document but it doesn’t seem to exist so I can’t disable the GPU timeout in the project, and i’m not super wild about digging around my PC’s console command in case i mess something up permanently. Is there any setting in the unreal engine i can use to get the same effect or is this solve a nonstarter? I’m considering experimenting with undervolting/overclocking my gpu but again, not wild about messing with the hardware

hi @Maddjon ,
Dont go undervoltage/overclocking you may break your PC as others have done!!. This shortens the life of CPU over the period of time

Originally made this patch which may work for AMD as well, works for Nvidia MUST be “Run as Administrator” when opening command shell.

In Usage you will see that the TDR problems is adjusted by the batch file

Thanks for the response. I’ll resist the overclocking, I’m definitely not experienced enough with it to try yet. I have no idea what the batch file system is and can’t seem to find it at all.

I saw there’s a process for implementing a crash delay on the GPU driver through the PC registry but again im not super sure about messing with software

Is this something you’d recommend trying? Almost ready to admit defeat and drop the money on a new GPU at this point XD

hi,
Yes that it. Changes the timeout in Windows GPU drivers

So i’ve experimented all day with implementing following the tutorial above and adding TdrDelay Key’s in the registry and it still hasn’t worked. 32 bit Key, 64 bit Key, nothing seems to work, even setting the delay at 120 seconds it still crashes after about 2 seconds of opening the MetahumanIdentity.

I found that in the Unreal Editor Preferences, in the Plugin>Metahuman section, deselecting “Load Trackers on Startup” meant that i was able to open the Metahuman Identity and my footage was working, but the second i promoted a frame and the Trackers started to load, it immediately crashed, so it seems to be a problem with the Trackers that is causing the crash, i repeated the process a few times and it only crashes when attempting to load the Tracking markers so that seems to be the core problem.

hi @Maddjon ,

The only work that has that I have carried out is creating the patch for
GPU Lightmass not working on Landscape - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

This was tested by other developers

The section that really interests me is

Luoshuang’s GPULightmass Unreal Engine 5.4.3 and 5.4.4 patch (LGPU)

Most of my time now is devoted to supporting Ureal Engine Fortnite (UEFN), when not supporting LGPU and probably better to put question in Epic GPU Lightmass as this is out of my depth
Thanks