FPS Drop Between Ue4 and Ue5

yeah bro i was have around 160 to 180 FPS in UE 4.26.2 and in UE 5 i am have max of 60 FPS

Yes, I’m serous. Epic intends to use temporal upscaling (which is why I mentioned it):

Temporal Super Resolution has the following properties:

• Output approaching the quality of native 4k renders at input resolutions as low as 1080p, allowing for both higher framerates and better rendering fidelity.

Lumen relies heavily on Unreal Engine 4’s Temporal Upsampling with the new UE5 Temporal Super Resolution algorithm for 4k output.

For comparison purposes, the following GPU timings were taken from the PlayStation 5 Unreal Engine 5 technical demo Lumen in the Land of Nanite:

• Average render resolution of 1400p temporally upsampled to 4K.
2 Likes

That fixed it for me :smiley: thanks

Ram is focused mainly on as someone pointed out loading things into memory. Also, it’s about textures. If you have a bunch of 4k textures, you’re going to reach your streaming pool size limit. A lot of people say more ram isn’t always better. While yes, that is true in some cases. 64-124 Gb of ram doesn’t hurt. There are QUIXEL game dev’s who max out their ram. It’s more though in good practice to optimize your texture sizes. For me, foliage isn’t something someone is going to crouch down and stare at, so I lower my foliage texture sizes. Optimize your game to focus on things the player is going to pay the most attention to.

2 Likes

Hi,

i7 8700
16 go ram
gtx 1060 6gb

Third person template nothing more
Same screen, same resolution, no content browser
The ue5 viewport is even a little smaller due to the UI

Multiplayer
Listen server, only one client, two screen

1 Like

with all these changes my scene is still down from 34~fps to 23~fps, with the cost of my basepass more than doubled!! im really struggling to work out what’s up here, something seems super wrong, to be fair its a very foliage dense scene but hopefully this performance drop isn’t something that hangs around when UE5 releases

My results are different!
In UE4 I could only place static mesh with 15 million vertex before before performace dropped to 30 ms. On UE5 with 50 million vertex its 16 ms, without any nanite. With 96 skinned mesh running around in a scene (crowd-humans, 40,000 vertex each, 4 animations) I get 17 ms.

I am yet try UE5 on production system and important projects as they don’t recommend it. Test system vulkan-linux 1050ti

Try this : Tip to get better fps on UE5

I don’t know too much about UE5 and do not doubt some users are experiencing frame rate issues. Everyone’s experience will differ according to their computer specs and the scene being rendered.

However, rather than convert a UE4 project, I created a new project in UE5 with any empty level (not blank - totally empty). I then created the simple scene in the image below from scratch. The scene renders at an acceptable frame rate of almost 60 FPS bearing in mind that it:

(a) uses the default UE5 settings (including the Lumen settings); and
(b) is running on a 4 year old laptop with modest specs - i7-9750H CPU (6 cores/2.6 GHz), GTX 1650 GPU and 32 GB RAM.

So really, not too shabby given this is an early release of UE5 which has yet to be optimized. I’m guessing, but importing an existing UE4 project with its own hairs and pimples may one of the reasons users are seeing mixed results.

the issue isn’t so much that in a vacuum UE5 runs bad, but i’d be interested if you recreated the exact same scene in UE4 how it compares, and also, in my simpler scenes they are a lot closer, but in scenes where GPU cost is higher in either engine, it performs much worse in UE5 is my real issue

2 Likes

Nanite, lumen, and gen5 taa cost a lot. Edit: Also virtual shadow maps perform horribly. Turn em off.

I upgraded main project to ue5 on another rig and I am facing too much fps drop. Its now 90ms instead of 8 ms in ue4 (rx5700).
I had faster performance than ue4 with test system (low end) and a smaller project.

1 Like

This 100% does not match UE4 performance.

The default third person template in UE 4.26 is 120 FPS in UE5 it is 80-90 FPS.

2 Likes

Not sure that it matters or is even relevant, but I did watch an Epic video about Lumen which noted that the lighting in UE5 works very differently to UE4 so there can be issues with updating a project from UE4 that uses static lighting. I wouldn’t be surprised if this impacted on the FPS. With new projects in UE5 and with no static lighting I’m getting a very reasonable FPS.

There has to be something else, I’ve tried upgrading, I’ve tried copying settings 1:1, there has to be something else in UE5 that is causing a UE4-120FPS project to go to 90-100. I’ve messed with just about every setting there is…

I feel like Im the only one who actually gained FPS importing my game into UE5. Which leads me to believe that UE5 forgave something that Im doing wrong in UE4, and I wish I knew what it was. So why was switching ue5 the biggest mistake I made this year? Because of something so simple as not being to able to see child actors that are located in my character BP. Which is how my weapons are setup…

A child actor and a socketed actor are almost exactly identical.
Add an interface to the weapon actor. Toss the weapon actor in game. Attach the weapon to the actor like everyone should. Call the interface function(s) to “fire” or do whatever other actions you coded for.

As far as gaining FPS, you are the one and only I ever herd getting more out of it. .27 seems to be doing slightly better - yet still horrible.

With all due respect, that setup is counter productive for my particular setup. My character is not some simple point and shoot, reload, repeat type of character. I dont “throw” my character on to a level and start playing. There’s start points and level transitions. And also, weapon transitions that involve animation. Im sure you can achieve this using your method, but for me in particular wouldnt work as Im using real Liquid simulation from Realflow in the way my weapon transitions into “modes” and switches between weapons that are Rigged to the character itself. Also, the reason I was getting better fps in UE5 is because of the way it handled the textures straight from import. My game has come from 4.15 and no textures were setup for VT amongst other things. So, no it was something I was doing wrong lol. Since you seem to know more than one way to do things, I have a question maybe you could help me out with. What do you think the best way to setup “counter animations” or like “finishing move” animations? For example, when the enemy is in a vulnerable state based on health, I have it setup to where my char can do a finishing move. I get it to work by, when I push “A” and within a certain distance, it triggers the enemys animation, which then triggers the chars animation. Ive tried this method setup is many different ways, and none of them are 100% accurate 100% of the time. With the newest setup, its about 75%. So I guess my question is, how would you do it? Sorry if this is too vague, or not in your particular genre. as you probably assumed my game is 3rd person. Thanks for your initial response, and your possible next one. Cheers

Make a topic in content creation and tag me on it.
This can get complex, this isn’t the right place for it.

Offhand look into move buffers, and to start animations concurrently an interface call shared among objects is the best way.

Then, what is the point of using Nanite and Lumen if FPS performance is worst? I do not get it…

Nanite does not support Two sided materials (Trees), that’s why there is no trees in the demo, and Lumen does not support shadows for two sided geometries (rock cliffs and cloth)

I think UE5 needs a lot of work.

1 Like