Foliage not showing up in sequence render

I’m having an issue with rendering large amounts of trees in Unreal 5.3. In this level, I have a considerable amount of high poly trees. 200k+ trees, all around 1 million + poly’s. In the viewport, these painted foliage actors show up just fine, however, in my render, the cut out at a certain distance. (Cutting out closer to the camera rather than further away.)

I thought for sure this would be obviously an LOD issue, however I’m not so sure anymore.

Here’s a link to an example image of what exactly I mean visually.

Referencing this post on the forums, I thought for sure my solution would be here: Foliage not rendering through movie render

After exhausting all the suggestions in that post, I’m at a loss for what to try next. Here’s a list of what I’ve attempted so far.

1. In the movie render queue, adding both console variables of r.forceLOD 0 and foliage.ForceLOD 0.

2. Doing number one in the viewport console aswell.

3. In game overrides, setting “Use LODZero” and “Disable HLODs”, to both off, both on, one off and one on, and vice versa.

4. Setting the console variable in the movie render queue “foliage.MaxTrianglesToRender” to a value of anywhere between its engine preset value {100,000,000} and multiplying it by 10 for a value of {1,000,000,000}.

5. Gone into the BaseScalability.ini file and upped the r.streaming.poolsize to the maximum amount of my card (rtx 2080 Super).

In terms of all of these points, I’m almost certain I’ve tried a combination of each and every option. Unfortunately with no luck :confused:

I’d be disappointed to know if this is simply an issue of hardware limitation. Here are my PC specs.

Windows 10

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core

Memory: 64GB

(Not sure if it’s relevant, but the trees were created with SpeedTree and imported as ST9 files, however, I doubt this would be causing the issue. I’m sure it must be some sort of console variable or move render queue setting I’m missing.)

Any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

Found my issue!

For whatever reason upping the screen space percentage past 100% kills foreground trees. No idea why, I haven’t done any deep digging so forgive me if there’s an answer out there to why this is the case, but I couldn’t seem to find an answer why. This isn’t a huge issue for me but I’d love to know if there’s a workaround to this.

Just to recap my solve was DISABLING “r.ScreenPercentage” in my movie render queue console variables. Or just keeping it at 100% worked fine too.