First Person Device Feedback Thread

First Person Device is now available as an Experimental feature in UEFN

We release tools as Experimental to give you the chance to try out new functionality that is still under development. This allows you to try out new features and helps us improve them based on your feedback.

Follow the links to learn more:

Documentation: https://dev.epicgames.com/documentation/fortnite-creative/using-first-person-mode-devices-in-fortnite-creative

If you have feedback, please post it in this thread. For issues and bugs, please post in the Issues and Bug Reporting forum. Thank you!

I cannot acces to the First Person Document I get the following message:
Error loading documentCould not find document with path en-us/fortnite-creative/using-first-person-mode-devices-in-fortnite-creative

same

It does not mention at this point if vehicles will stay 3rd person view or if we will get to drive in 1st person (unless I missed that)

Just tried all the vehicles, hover and surf board, tried passenger seats even on the battle bus and plane / helicopter etc - every view driving or as a passenger shooting with the gun are 3rd person at this point (it’s not a problem but hoped we could get clarification if it is staying that way or if driving 1st person will come)

I tried the D-Launchers and the Crash Pad / Air Vent & Bouncer Gallery and all work in 1st person even when shooting guns

Heavy and Mounted Turret are 3rd Person, the Cannon was 1st person I could shoot in the air after firing from that

Grind Rail and Vines are 3rd person even when shooting.
Ziplines work in 1st person we can shoot while on those in that view

Sliding works we can see the characters legs when sliding

Granto goes through the animations here

Howtooboss also mentions 1st person here

Played around with maybe 6 or 7 guns, several were nice using the back sites, Cerebus Gatekeeper Shotgun & Marksman Six Shooter stood out for me from the ones I tried, those seemed good.
Liked the way aiming the thumb reloads 1 at a time but not aimed the opposite hand fires off 6 shots - looking forward to seeing all the complete animations with this mode it was the reason I came to UEFN on day one as there was talk of 1st person view, been making maps since 2005 for 1st person shooters

The link is working now for the documents

1 Like

The TMNT and First person device is awesome don’t get me wrong. But were players really asking for this? Besides the First Person Device, I know everyone wants that. But what I see all of the time is requests for old galleries and props. I’ve been waiting a year for Relentless Retreat and Sanguine Suites Prefabs and Galleries. Or most of the Chapter 4 locations. Brutal Baston would be awesome too. I know i’m leaving many locations out and creators want them from other chapters as well. I just wish we had answers or at least a statement from Epic on why we won’t receive more galleries so I can stop hoping. I really thought with UEFN releasing it would mean that Epic was finally going to begin giving creators what they’ve been requesting. There is such a lack of props and walls in creative mode. We have so many duplicate props and very minimal unique props. When we finally got Restored Reels, we received some new props and that was great, I’d like to see some modern walls and props in creative. I love to build modern buildings, especially why I would like the resorts. Eclipsed Estates’ props are just not cutting it. We have no modern beds or furniture. I don’t even want to request Chapter 5 galleries, but Fencing Fields would work great too. I’m just tired of any walls we receive, like Nitro Drome, having rust and looking beat up. I know we can import props and walls into UEFN, but we all know it’s best when it comes from Epic directly. If anyone from Epic reads this, please suggest dedicating a team to make the galleries creators have been asking for. I’m tired of getting my hopes up that in another two weeks I can finally complete some of what i’ve created.

I am very new to fortnite creative but in my opinion the TMNT deal was a huge step for Fortnite. Once other companies sees the power of Fortnite collaborations others will follow. Its a domino effect. To be honest I am pretty sure Disney Marvel is next. Imagine being able to create Disney Marvel islands legally. My 2 cents ofc im just a guy with 0 players LOL!!

2 Likes

I’d really like to have the ability to make custom FP animations and VFX per item for first person mode, both for BR items, as well as the upcoming custom items.

My fear is that without this, first person maps will be another batch of generic, low-effort, cookie cutter, copy paste maps.

As Epic staff themselves said in the Animation livestream shortly after UEFN release when asked about first person, making a good FPS experience is much more than just a camera, it has more to do with the animation.

Hi all, please keep this thread for feedback for the First Person device. Thank you!

I completely agree with you it was a huge and exciting step.

As someone who has been building a first person map the last month with work arounds I am very excited by this feature as it can solve the clipping issues with the guns as well as the scoped weapons and targeting.

I have 2 feedback items on the current first person camera that I am hoping are already in the works.

1. The most important thing for me was the speed of character movement as the standard movement is very slow and almost agonizing in first person view. I had solved that in my map using the Orbit Camera for the first person view and a time dilation level sequencer which sped up the map to 1.4. This movement speed felt really good.

2. Currently the new first person camera is too bouncy which when played for an extended period of time can become very jarring and annoying and not a pleasant experience. I’m assuming there will be options to turn that off?

1 Like

Do the Camera settings work for anyone else? Like FOV (mine is stuck at 80), Camera shake, Focus target, etc?

One of the most frustrating issues with this device is where the “head” of the character is, because when looking down, you only see the legs of your character. You, the reader, look down right now. You see most of your body, including your arms, your shirt, etc. What I’m saying basically is the head should be placed a bit more upwards, or at least let us change the FOV of the camera.

this is tough considering forntite chars come in different shapes and sizes tbh. i am actually suprised on how well this is working right now even at experimental

Feedback for First-Person

• If the Player is on low settings weapons with iron sights become harder to use due to low poly meshes (the same applies to hand models but that’s just a cosmetic thing that just makes the game look low quality)

• Weapon sprinting animations need to be added since it feels very awkward to sprint and see the weapon disappear( alternatively since running is the default for most players make the running animations actual running ones and keep the sprinting one to make the gun disappear

• Weapon recoil is almost non-existent and makes the guns to easy to use in tactical gameplay(like valorant or counterstrike game modes )

• The weapon mods can significantly improve the gameplay that can be created with the first-person guns , however, the if magazines are changed the reload animations obviously disappear. Currently, there is no way to lock away magazine purchases in the workbench. so it would be great if the mods could be available as solo items or we could give players weapons that are modded by the map creator beforehand.

• The Hud is very important for first person gameplay and the new options for the hud are very helpful to display custom health, however we currently have no way to show the ammo/ reserve ammo via custom made Hud Displays so it would be very helpful have these options in the Hud Viewmodel to make more immersive gameplay (Generally all options you can give use to display information about the weapon :slight_smile: )

The orbit camera device has an option to hide the player locally, this is a really useful and needed feature for the first person device–over the top/cartoony characters can ruin immersion in more serious games!

honestly i told them if they could alllow us to just hide the head that would be amazing

I’ve been messing around with the device ever since someone recommend a video of it to me. Who’s idea to put this in should get a raise and I also did my part on testing most of the weapons, lock on pistol is bug with it, the manarch pistol, [the frenzy shotguns is bug when reloading and constant jumping]. Also hurdling while in FP also do some elastic stretching :joy: that’s a bug, despite of all that easy fix. Modding the weapons with extra mag or fast reload removes reload animation. Every other modd on the work bench is okay but those two remove the reload animation.

Ok so I mention all the bugs time to share all the improvement I’ve researched, yall need to make these improvement to get FP locked in and if you don’t do this FP is going to flop.

The angle of the gun is okay but I check call of duty FP angle and the fp we have on fortnite is slightly different, adjust it to that give it more of tha cod vibe, back against the wall tech, that would move from fp to third person view, make that and add it only to fp mode, hold the gun against the wall to get lower recoil…you know the call of duty stuff. More reload animations and fps need combat melee animation or throwing knives just for fp mode…give us something.

Also I definitely need yall upgrade the modd bench device where there’s options to either switch on or off a specific modd or have it where you can store the weapons that you want modd to be on so yolu can start off the game with said modds instead of going at a modd bench. Plus I tested that if I use the checkpoint after I finish modded a weapon after respawn creative crash.

Also if we are going to put fp in fortnite, make a small map 16 players, team deathmatch and or free for all put those in casual and rank and watch cod players drawn to it.

I’ve already made some brand new maps with fp I’m just waiting for this to be release for us to use…

When First Person mode will be included in battle royale as a camera option? TBH third person shooters are kinda boring now I think about it. First person shooters are cooler because it gives me better immersion as if I am the guy from fortnite.

I would like to be able to change the strafe speed and acceleration both in and out of ADS. It would be very helpful for creating different kinds of first person and third person experiences as it can increase or decrease the responsiveness of controls etc.

Someone else mentioned “As I said I don’t use sprint, the mode is a no build , and the game is a hybrid of a much older game. I’ve tried altering movement speeds which kind of did change typical movement speed but that still left ADS side stepping unaffected. I’m looking for that “holding ADS” movement for peeking round corners, not by default but as and when a setting is enabled within the device.”