Disable shadows from widget component?

Hello everyone. I’m currently working on a simple VR game. I’ve put in a UI Widget Component on the left controller.

The UI buttons are however completely blacked out due to shadows, and I have no idea how to fix this.

How would I be able to disable shadow casting from the UI widget?

With lighting:

Without lighting:

Try turning off Receive CSM Shadows in the widget component, and turn off receives decals.

Hello @Bright360F !

I think that it may be a problem with the material, but not every UI Widget has materials so you have to check it.

In the Widget Menu, in the Details Tab, can you search for “Material”?

By default all the images in the UI do not respond to the lights of the scene, but if they do it is usually because they are associated with a material.

If you find that it has a material, you just have to go to that material and make it “Unlit”.

Let me know if you need any more help.
I hope if this helps you!

1 Like

turned it off, UI is still black

some additional information as to what lighting im using, don’t know if it’s useful though:

Nice!
So, your UI it is conected to a material.

So try to turn on again the “Shading Model” check and see if it fixes it.

If not, open the parent Material (The “Widget3DPassThrough(…)”) and make it Unlit.

I hope this Helps!

Hey, I’ve checked the child’s box for the shading model, and put the shading model to unlit in the parent material.

I sadly still have the problem. :frowning:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/3d-progress-bar-casting-shadow/463345

As baibukan pointed to above, for some reason the “Cast Shadow” property isn’t exposed in the Details pane for Widgets. Luckily, you can easily turn off shadows by setting the value in the Event Graph.

7 Likes

WOW, amazing coincidence, i never need this, and just is solved the day that i needed It XD

1 Like

Thank you

C++:
WidgetComponent->SetCastShadow(false);