Character Creator

There is a slight issue with the male pants, vanishing when you zoom out half of screen size.

d88987e7a9be5efcf54a9d770ed4f1f973f5d872.jpeg

I could remove all the other LOD’s but is there a different approach?

I was able to replicate this. It’s an issue with an LOD where the wrong material is assigned. It will be fixed in the next update.

Is there a specific setting to make the hair look more smooth? It has some sort of dotted expression, even visible from afar. First i thought it was related to using Forward Shader, but it’s not.

a9195b11892af40f73b676fe9134c3ebfe69e371.jpeg

I consider this a minor low priority issue.

Forward shading will most certainly have a negative effect on the hair. The hair shader is making heavy use of the Dither AA. For this to work correctly you need to have Temporal AA enabled (which I assume you don’t have, correct?).

Also I am unsure how translucency sorting is done when using Forward Shading. This could be a potential issue, too.

So if you really want to use Forward Shading I would actually suggest creating a new hair shader from ground up to deal with those issues.

Yes! That’s definitely planned for the future.

Yes, you can export the character and cloth through unreal itself. However, exporting a customized character is not possible at the moment (since it exists at runtime). UE4 sadly doesn’t allow exporting with specific morph targets set. However, having something like this (also to support some sort of “baking” process for optimization) is being investigated. Though this will take some time and most likely only be possible through C++.

I am currently working on a tutorial for this. It will be completed & released after everything has been wrapped up with the new female character.

I am not using forward shading, anti aliasing mode is MSAA

Still valid what I wrote above. It’s valid for all situation where you don’t have Temporal AA enabled, like no AA or using FXAA/MSAA.

Have a look at the hair shader and try to replace the part with the dither AA node with an alternative system. This should help with the artifacts.

Honestly - if this becomes a massive collection of “it should have” it will be a mess for order66 to keep up with, and, people who are using it, to keep up with.
Updates should be bug fixes and feature add-ons, like a female model.
I don’t want to update this for a bug fix, and, have to remove 10 models of aliens and monsters and random other items.

Honestly, it is a starting point, and, its a really good one as is. Limited cloths just to display features. Base male and female models to display as well.
Morph targets are easy to add, and, using his cloths and models as reference should give anyone, even beginners, a great start place.

I think some good videos on “how to” would solve a lot of confusion:

1. How to implement into a current project
  2. How to add new characters to the display (more selection of models players will add on their own)
  3. How to setup morph targets (tho, any video will explain this). Maybe one using the current models just to show where to start would be good.

Now, if you notice #2 on the list, that would extend functionality of the character creator. Also, it would allow order66 to sell “after market” models, and, cloths, weapons, etc etc. Like a “snap-on” setup for those that wanted them. Keeping core functionality within the main program, and then, addressing issues “per-item” and not as a whole.

I am not trying to say anyone’s ideas are bad, but, I just don’t see the point of making a working core convoluted with tons of “i wants”

I have never had any luck using MSAA with anything. The usual was grass, and, i was getting the exact effect you are with the hair in my grass (using MSAA).
Unless you need to specifically use MSAA, i wouldn’t even consider using it.
Not to mention, MSAA comes with a higher cost. The results of your hair are the results of MSAA.
MSAA knows where edges are and is more precise, filtering all of them without exceptions, and is more taxing because of that.
It is to my understanding that if a user isnt using at least 8xMSAA then its not even worth having.

I have done a ton of reading up on all the AA types, and, find that its jsut not worth having MSAA unless you 100% require it (and im not sure anyone requires it)
Sadly, using Unreal, we are missing out on a ton of VERY quality AA types for the use of some really old ones.

Almost finished (textures & rigging is almost complete):

33cd072e48ec1547a8b7c64720bb235e0d2d451e.jpeg

Only thing that is left to do are the morph targets. After that it will be submitted to Epic for approval (cannot tell you how long that will take though).

It looks stunning, she will also have cloth. hair styles and skin colours?
How long does it takes on average?

Regards!

Yes, both hair styles and skin colors are planned for the future.

Takes quite some time as it goes through different hands (from high-poly to low-poly, to texturing, to skinning and rigging).

You said previously that the models that you submit to Epic will have intrinsic clothing. Would you be able to provide the natural models elsewhere?

+1

Regards-

Yes, I am sure we can find a solution for this. I plan to include source files for the characters anyway.

Are you guys going to offer anymore options for character creation? Such as butt, chest, and hips manipulation?
Or is that already implemented? If so, I will definitely purchase this. I am looking for an in depth character creation for my game. Oh and one more question.
If I wanted to make the game co op with four people, would four people be able to use this when they first start the game? Because I am not going to create a custom model, I want players to feel like they have a part in this survival game by making their own. Please try and reply asap.

Can’t wait to receive the female update and btw it’s looking great! I was curious though if you have been working on new clothing for the whole system and if so Could you post some images of that?

I purchased your Character Creator and think you did a really good job. All the blueprints, structs, UMG elements etc, are all clean and nicely laid out and easy to understand with how you commented everything. It is easy to add on more clothing, hair and weapons and even morphs. The main thing that I think is lacking is no sizing what so ever. You can’t make the character taller or shorter, no arm or leg lengths, head or hand size etc. You don’t want every character to be the same size. If you use this for a single character game it’s completely good, but for any type of multiplayer you really need different heights and sizes.

I have tried to add these features myself, but for the life of me can’t figure out how to do it. I have all the bone transforms set up in the animation graph and it all works, I have the UMG setup for the added sliders for sizes along with the graphs, I have a struct set up for the bones I want to edit. I just can’t figure out how to set it up in the character blueprint so all the elements communicate.

Do you plan on adding any sizing to your Character Creator? All I need is to see how it’s done and I can add the rest myself. Or any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, great job and I would recommend it to anyone.

As Synny says above, height adjustment is an absolute must for a standard feature.