Can't get UE5 to build lighting?

Hello all

Either I’m being thick or this just isn’t working like its supposed to?

I’ve just opened a brand new first person template, set all lights to static, turned off lumen, even added an extra point light and then tried to bake the lighting, but nothing appears to happen? I’ve then gone in and moved the point light and it appears nothing has been baked. No shadows or anything

What am I missing here?

Here’s a quick video screengrab I did:

1 Like

question is, why do you want to build/bake the lights? what is the target platform?

If you want to bake lighting have you tried adding a LightmassImportanceVolume?

Hi dorusoftware. It’s not so much why rather than how. I should be able to but can’t seem to do it. For e.g. I’d like to send a copy of the game over to my son on his low powered laptop and I thought baked lighting would increase performance.

Aha. I’ve not heard of this. Is this like a post process volume where I add this to my project? Then I should be able to bake? I’ve watched some tutorials online and they never cover this, the light just bakes.

I’ll try this tomorrow when I’m back on my machine :slight_smile:

I was actually facing the same problem just now. You need to disable “Force no Precomputed Lighting” in the world settings!

2 Likes

On the First person controller map the “Force no Preocomputed lighting” is permanently enabled. You need to create a new Basic map to use baked lighting.

1 Like

Thanks guys. So I suppose my question is similar to what was asked of me in the first reply…

Is baked lighting a thing of the past? Should I be using Lumen from now on?

No. As I mentioned earlier you can use Baked ligting exept the first person and third person controller maps. If you create a new basic map you can bake it.

Is there a way to import my current map into a new basic map? Would that work?

Also - is baked lighting still a useful tool with today’s GPUs?

1 Like

Hello, did you find a workaround for this?

Enabled Support Hardware Ray Tracing in Project Settings

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the support! Unfortunately, I am having the issue where build lighting stays at 0% then fails. I have added a new basic level, and done all solutions listed above. Anything else I can try?

Also, in hopes of figuring this out I went to the Project settings and under Lumen changed the global illumination and reflections settings to Screen Space. to see if that would help? But now when I try to go back and change it back to lumen those setting dont appear??

I have 3 other levels on the same project, and all levels are unable to have lighting built. Using 5.1 and really hope someone can help me find a solution for my students project.

Thanks!

1 Like

You need to create a new level, you cant use bakelight in tps/fps controller maps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the reply. Unfortunately I am still unable to build lighting on any project including a blank one. I created a New blank project under the film video & live events, and even created a new level within. Everything was unable to build. stays at zero then fails.

Please someone help, I am so lost and this is a business project I am depending on. :frowning:

thank you in advance.

1 Like

Maybe you should consider using a lower version of Unreal without this problem. Also ıf you have any BSP brush meshes try to convert them into static meshes. Export a 3d modelling program then import them into unreal again as a new. These are what i experienced on Unreal 5.1

1 Like

Thanks again Zbartan, unfortunately like I said in a blank project with 1 floor mesh and no assets the lighting can’t be built. If anyone else can help out that would be awesome.

I guess I will try an older verson of UE, can you tell me the proper place to find those downloads. I didn’t see them in the marketplace. thanks y’all.

1 Like

All you need to do is add a new engine version, then click little triangle to select version you want on Epic App.

1 Like

I’ve been at this all day and in all different directions; I don’t want to spend any more time messing with this. I was having the same issue and the only solutions I could find is to cut out the world partition. You have to go to world settings; at the top should be your world partition setting. Uncheck the box for streaming, then it should pop up a dialog box asking you if are sure. Yes, you are sure.

A new option should be in the world partition part of the world setting menu that says “disable world partition”; Click it to disable world partition. Now you should be able scroll down to the lightmass settings (in the same world settings menu). In the advanced portion, uncheck the box the box next to “Force no Precomputed Lighting”.

If everything else in your settings is correct, you should be able to build and bake lights now.

Before you do this, save a copy of the level in another name because everything that is loaded in world partition and Hlod’s is going to erase once you click that button. I don’t know if there is a way to use the world partition feature of the engine with baked lighting.

if you are using a template, I don’t know if that will affect the player controller or anything else, enemies, etc… Everything, I think, in the “one file per actor” category/world partition is going to go away.

The other way is to start totally blank and uncheck the same “force no precomputed lighting” check box. As of right now, you would have to start a new empty game project template; then start a new level because that blank level templet has a scene with lighting, a terrain with hlod’s, and world partition. The engine doesn’t let you access a totally blank level in the games category, with no world partition, unless you start a new level after you start a new game project. Unreal use to have an empty/no world partition project start???

Hope that helps.

1 Like

This worked for me! <3