WorldSettings_1 error: Lighting needs to be rebuild - But I already did that!

Hello!

I just added a lot of grass foliage through the “Landscape Grass Type” blueprint and added it to my terrain. While placing everything works great, I’m simply not able to render it properly.

I click on “Build”. It shows the percentage of the build lighting, which of course goes up to 100%.

But for some reason after it’s completed I get the error message that my lighting should be rebuild, and nothing in the preview has changed. I test the preview and still “45 unbuild objects”.

I tried to use the “Force No Precompute Lighting” route, but that didn’t work at all.

What can I do? I really don’t want to remake the entire map, it took a long time.

Hi Rhidor,

It looks like the Landscape Grass Type does not support static lighting, at least not at the moment. This is the warning being thrown because of this.

This tool was originally designed for larger open worlds where you would really use Dynamic lighting over any static lighting. So this may just be a limitation of the implementation at the moment. I entered UE-20766 to address this.

As a workaround for the time being, it would probably be better to use the Foliage Tool to paint your objects to the Landscape until this has been resolved. However, there is no time frame for when this will be addressed, so it could be a little while.

Using Force no precomputed lighting will only help if you don’t use any static lighting. That is intended for only using fully Dynamic Lighting in your scene.

I hope this helps at least explain why you’re seeing this message.

Tim

Thanks, Tim! I just noticed that I got this reply on my accidental doublepost, so the problem is already resolved in my clone answer.

I’d like to use dynamic lighting for my landscape (and most likely open world later on) anyway at a later point, so it wouldn’t be too bad to start using it now.

Experienced this error on multiple levels and disabling Cast Shadows on the Directional Lights in the level prevented this error from occurring. I’m not sure why this prevents the error, though.

Update - I used the DumpUnbuiltLightIteractions command and discovered there were FoliageInstancedStaticMeshComponents in the level (despite how no foliage was added) - I think this occurred after migrating assets from another project.

To resolve this issue, I created a blueprint actor that would search for and destroy and the InstancedFoliageActor in its Construction Script. Then the lighting would build properly with Cast Shadows enabled. So, I think it is because those components that ended up in the level didn’t support static lighting as the other user said.