World Partition is full with bugs! Why deprecating World Composition at this stage?

@YanDaik that has always been the case. It’s by design that when a level is unloaded all of its owned actors get unloaded too. If you want to have a car in a level (each map tile is their own level at runtime) which keeps alive even after the level is unloaded you’ll need to instead spawn the car dynamically into the persistent level.

2 Likes

Thank you for quick response!

One of the things that i experienced with world partition is that, when i used the foliage tool to spawn some foliage it miraculously did not allow me to spawn the folliage in ONE QUARTER of the landscape … the other time it was spawning in 3 QUARTERS but not in the LAST QUARTER … when i added a z-offset for the folliage brushes the foliage did begin spawn but half the trees were burried in the ground with only the top part visible above the landscape !! Also most of the times the trees were spawning in a very small part of the land that too… not a grid cell or something obvious it was just random. It was more like a random small circular or linear area on the lanscape on which folliage spawned but all other places it wasn’t.

Wasted a lot of time trying to figure out the bug !! then i made a level without world partition and everything was working fine…

If anyone has found the solution to cure this bug please tell

Thanks

I have to put my two cents in and say I think Epic Games is culling the indie population by giving a free “bugged” version and the complete engine to partners working directly with Epic Games. You can see features in Ue5 that are present in AAA games that were supposedly made with Ue4. Most bugs experienced by users do not occur to Epic Staff when displaying the technology. After years of having my games halted by bugs in Unreal Engine, I have to be suspicious at this point if I’m being intentionally blocked from finishing my games.

Good opening line for a discussion. :stuck_out_tongue: You’d have to find people or stats around from the era when game engine tech wasn’t ‘free’ (pay-for licenses). Software has been always buggy. But when good up to date docs or examples are also a challenge, then things become extra tricky.

Complexity is the enemy of simplicity. Can you really make games in UE anymore, without an army of C++ programmers on your team to go into source and fix whatever is borked… IDK. :thinking:

Personally, am trying to make the types of games these days, that don’t need WP / WC / Streaming / complex Physics anymore, to avoid more of the gotchas. Its not easy though. :wink:

I do sympathize with how complex Unreal Engine has become over just the past few years. It has made dramatic jumps from when it was still UDK when I first started experimenting with Epic’s software. What doesn’t make sense to me though, is that issues with landscapes, how the engine handles skeletons (JFC it is god awful), materials, etc. have had glaring bugs since 4 came out and the roadmap for UE5 completely disregards those issues to focus on cinematics, archiz or some random application for the engine. Hello Unreal! Did you guys forget it is a “game” engine? lol

Interesting, what’s going on with Materials / Skeletons?
Lots of devs on here are waiting for help with UE5 bugs.
But Epic are doing a bit of a ‘JEDI MIND-Trick’ with UE5…
‘These aren’t the bugs you’re looking for… Move along’. :rofl:

UE5 Gotchas / Issues / Bugs:

Request for LTS versions of UE and marketplace assets.

Large Performance Regression in UE5 (CPU Performance)

Nanite performance is not better than LODS [TEST RESULTS]. Fix your documentation Epic. You're ruining games.

NEW UE5.4+ feedback: Start working on and investing in PERFORMANCE innovations for actual GAMES.

"Skip Assigning Gamepad to Player 1 not working in UE5.1"

This makes no sense.

THE ENTIRE ENGINE SOURCE is available on GitHub. For zero payment, until you actually ship a revenue generating game with it.
What you get if you pay them more money up front, is people you can call up and talk to. Or slack. Or send email. Or fax.

The reason the bugs don’t show up in demos, is that the demos are given of paths that don’t have those bugs. Whoever gives the demo, knows what doesn’t work, and avoids those parts.

There’s also the case that CONTENT IS KING and good artists can make anything look good. The procedural generation stuff looks awesome, because a small team spent a fair bit of time making and tuning the base content that the PCG instantiates. Same thing for every other feature!

Also, AAA developers have their own programmers. They can write their own code to add whatever is missing. The can back-port code from later versions to earlier versions. They know what they want, they decide to do the work, and they own their own destiny. The draw-back is that they take on a pretty significant support burden of their own, to back-port bug fixes and maintain whatever their custom work is. AAA do be like that.

Your games are not halted by bugs in Unreal Engine, your games are halted by your inability to fix or work around those bugs. This is the same for any technology you license in any field anywhere. If there’s a bug, the vendor may or may not fix it at some point (more likely if you pay them a lot of money) but shipping the product is still your responsibility, and it’s up to you to find a way through.

If you don’t know C++, I recommend you find someone who knows C++ to help you out, or learn C++ yourself, to make more progress.

I get you’re defending the engine because you’ve done work on it but usually it is good practice to let people know what does and doesn’t work before your ship features. No amount of training could have prepared me for, " oh hey, if you use features in a certain order, it will just break your project." Also knowing c++, does not let me know what caveats the Unreal programmers decided to go with unless it’s stated in comment text which a lot of the time, it’s just basic descriptions. So I waste months trying to learn a specific workflow that’s only necessary because that’s how unreal was built. I’m not pretending other software doesn’t have this issue, it’s just frustrating that the go to option is to just waste months debugging when there could just be better documentation on the engine. I’m a solo dev, so spending a majority of my time doing debugging “pre-depolyment” is incredibly frustrating.

2 Likes

^THIS^ x 1000… Its vital for your survival. So its an understatement to say it’d help enormously to know all the caveats of every feature in the engine. :wink: But you never get that. Instead you have to invest 100-1000’s of hours into the engine to see how everything shakes out, or follow many many support channels to see where devs are reporting issues or where you’re exposed. :rofl:

1 Like

There are release notes, and they document the parts that are known to have problems.
Maybe you happened to do something that nobody else has done in that order yet? If so, how would they know? The combinatorics of all the feature in this engine are way wider than what can possibly be exhaustively tested even if every human on the planet ran test plans 24/7 for 100 years.

Btw, I’m not so much defending the engine, as trying to teach how I think you have to approach this engine to ship a high quality game on top of it.
If you’re not prepared to take that approach, and make Unreal Engine a lifestyle where you are responsible for what you use and ship, then maybe Unreal Engine isn’t actually the tool for you. Not ever tool is the right fit for every project.

I’m just adding the water actor to the default terrain landscape. I am not doing anything crazy but I understand what you mean. I work two jobs and work on my game project on the side. I’ve spent too much time on my terrain alone just because I can’t get past getting a simple island terrain to not break when combing two very similar projects. I’ve learned how to make water on my own which is the option I chose but it would have been nice not wasting all of that time.

1 Like