World Partition is full with bugs! Why deprecating World Composition at this stage?

I am experiencing a lot of Bugs in World Partition Mode so I would like to discuss the whole Concept behind it, and WHETHER that has ever proven to work at all in comparison to the already deprecated “World Composition Mode”. I am not seeing any advantage using World Partition over World Composition, and I am sure that World Composition has been deprecated for a reason, which I want to understand. Currently I do not get anything work in World Partition Mode other than getting it Project Wide Enabled. Disabling World Partition for a specific Map seems to be not possible (the option for disabling it in the World Settings is greyed out). Maps which have been created BEFORE enabling World Partition in the Project Settings are having in their World Settings World Partition disabled (and there the option to enable it is also greyed out). Assuming that World Partition can be only enabled Project Wide, I would like to know: Do we have to recreate the Maps which have been created before Enabling/Disabling World Partition? Do we have no option to disable World Partition for specific Maps?

Now lets say, World Partition is enabled and we create a new Map. I cannot see any Meshes which are in the “View Radius” in the Viewport. When I press play though, then i can see “some” of the Meshes (not all in the given radius which is not clear to me as well). I can manually load the grid cells (which is a lot of work if I want to edit multiple cells at the same time, like an overall edit) but in the foliage editor this causes issues: From where are we drawing on what map and if that map is not loaded, can we still edit the foliage in that area? And funny: How can we edit foliage which is NOT even seen? So we must load the grid cells, in order to edit the foliage, clear: However that also does not work. Visible Foliages cannot be erased, only placed (looks like we cannot edit foliages which are drawn from one map to another, ever again.) Must select the specific grid cell in order to edit that specific area? Try that, even that does not work. And i could try a lot of other ways to get around the bugs, but my main question is: How and why World Composition can be deprecated, when for World Composition there is a stable production stage and for World Partition there is not? How and why World Composition can be deprecated when there is no other way yet documented to work in terms of Importing, Editing.

In World Composition I was able to still delete the Map if I want to. Always.
In World Partition, I cannot not even do that. I have to force exit UE (if attempted to delete that Map), and manually delete the map as well as its external actors in the file explorer. And guess what, that is not the official way of deleting a map, thats just my way of getting around that bug. So if there is not even a way of deleting a Map in Mode World Partition, how can we have the previous Mode World Composition get deprecated? This is nothing to do with Production Ready Editors. I didnt test in 4.27, but i believe IF a Feature gets deprecated there as well, Developers expect a stable newer feature replacing it.

I am really interested in your opinions on that topic. And if i am totally wrong, please show me the right approach in World Partition Tiled Landscape Editing etc. (not in World Composition)

7 Likes

Hey, I totally agree man! Been playing around with it and it was quite nice until it was frustrating.

However mind this is still in Beta for UE 5 (I am assuming, I am not sure if it is depreceated in 2.27 already, I don’t think so) so hopefully by 2022 upon UE5’s release these issues will be fixed. Certainly important to bring them up now.

I like the idea if the dynamically adjusting grid much better than World Composition, if it worked. Problems I am experiencing when World Partition is enabled:

• Can’t delete landscapes or levels that have landscapes in them without crashing (fixed by manually deleting _External References folder in the Content folder and then the .umap). That definitely needs to be resolved.

• Irregular foliage popping. Painted foliage does not seem to load in as coherently as just manually placed static meshes, could have to do with foliage clusters, not sure?

• Can still import tiled landscapes (good) according to the old naming convention, but can’t seem to rearrange them as was possible with World Composition (I think it was at least, correct me if I am wrong)

• Why force it enabled across the project that makes no sense! If I make an open world map and have 100 levels for separate dungeons and unique interiors it is super annoying to have a prompt ask me to convert the map when opening or just have them have World Partition enabled by default. Definitely make this a by level thing.

• Show me a nice map view of the landscape in the World Composition window like before not just squares please :slight_smile:

So hope these changes will be implemented and more display options will be available soon. Rather annoying to have lots of things unloaded when loading a scene, give us some more control :slight_smile: !

Otherwise think this could work great, I didn’t love World Composition as it relied on tiled landscapes.

3 Likes

Regarding some of the points above, miraculously this video just came out and sort if clarified some of the problems I was having. I feel it is very well explained!

Maybe it could be of help and explain why it could be more useful down the line :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have seen it, its great and helps a lot. But some Points are still not clarified:

• Foliage Tool in Combination with World Partition → “Erasing” seems to not work.
  • Project Wide Enabling of World Partition: Can this be limited to specific Maps?

If anybody was able to get Foliage Editing work as well, please lemme know.

1 Like

May interest you to know that this no longer seems to be the case. The project settings option for world partition appears to have been removed in ue5-main branch on github, and they added a new template level called “empty open world” that uses world partition.

1 Like

When there will be an Update for Unreal Engine 5.0 EA? As I am not using Engine from Source, like most Devs, I believe…

Probably never. It was mentioned in another thread that there are no plans for another EA version so I guess the next version is the release version.

Oh that will be exciting with those severe bugs currently immediately taking a public release as next step… Good Luck, Epic. Really hopeful nevertheless.

UE 5.0.1 now, these bugs still remain…

1 Like

UE 5.0.2 World Partition is 100% useless with any kind of landscape that uses Foliage…AKA 90% of all worlds. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to fix the issue’s Everything is loading in Patches…1 tile will be loaded…the very next tile to the left and right will not be…foliage in the distance will load in but the landscape won’t…the landscape closer up will be loaded in but the foliage won’t be.

This is just absolutely disgusting and 100% unusable…If I were the Developers of Unreal Engine 5 I would be so embarrassed I would have to fire myself and look for another job. UE5 is so full of crap like this that I had to quit writing bug reports because I was spending most of my day just writing them every time, I came across a new bug which was about every 30 minutes.

2 Likes

This is what is supposed to happen.

You’re supposed to use HLODs to fill the voids created by unloaded tiles. In practice, building HLODs with world partition leaves a lot to be desired and the documentation is of little help.

1 Like

Yeah, Unreal Engine 5 is laughable at best given its current state… I doubt it will even be in a useable state a year from now. They honestly had no business releasing it like they did. It would have sucked but I would rather have delt with an announcement that they were putting the release off for another year then to have wasted the past several months trying to get around bugs and crashes and systems that were only half-finished.

1 Like

We have same issues.

1. Holes in landscape.
  2. Actors when moved to another place on map during play are disappearing when landscape partition is unloaded and teleporting back into partition where they have been created in editor. (Like a car that player drives is disappearing right when player drives it, and if you go back to the place where it was placed it will be there.
1 Like

Shouldn’t landscape create HLODs automatically?

Also I’m deleting actors in Editor but they appear again during play.

You can delete and recreate HLODs and do different things with them but it’s not clear the appropriate way to use them, the documentation doesn’t provide any details on that and outside of Converting or setting up a landscape for World Partition there is no other information anywhere on actually using it…This system seems to be following closely in World Composition’s footsteps…where there was never any quality information leaked on actually using it in a game and the system itself is just seriously flawed in every way. I have pretty much lost faith in Unreal and as soon as another Engine is released, I’ll probably start playing around with it. I believe there are 2 new game engines in development right now.

Yeah, that’s pretty odd. I had an issue where after I reloaded a fresh map I setup on WP all the foliage was Yellow and would cull away from me for some reason…
It would actually unload as I approached it and some LOD’s were actually loading in only when I was so far away… but they would unload if I got too close or too far from them.

I have no idea. If I build HLODs with a landscape, the landscape builds HLODs (when the build actually succeeds which is not guaranteed) but the resolution of the HLODs is chosen by god only knows what.

I don’t think anyone outside of Epic and their licensees fully understands how the system is supposed to work or what its limitations are, because as I noted already: The documentation is outdated and incomplete.

1 Like

World Partition has so much potential - it would be amazing if they could make this a priority.

HLOD isn’t good and should just be automatically generated in the cells. It has never been a good system and causes so many issues.

1 Like

When chunk owner is unloaded controlled car pawn disappears: