I started this project in the UDK. It was a project driven completely by Kismet. It was my attempt to squeeze any available power out of Kismet I could find. It worked out extremely well but had some serious limitations, as you can imagine. So, then, UE4 was released and I had to make a decision to either port it over or not. Having spent just under a year and a half on the project already. So, looking into UE4 a bit, doing another small project to get comfortable with the new tools and more specifically, Blueprints. That convinced me that it’s worth the time and effort to essentially rebuild the game from scratch. So I started to work on it about a month or so after UE4 came out and really haven’t looked back.
Since I posted my UDK progress fairly frequently, showing my Kismet setups and stuff, I felt like I should post something to show my jump to UE4 and really, how successful that has been so far. So this video shows my game play progress. Everything done with Blueprints of course. It’s very much a direct port over but with some more extended mechanics that just weren’t possible with Kismet alone. The game currently feels fairly smooth and responsive and I’m constantly tweaking and finding ways to make it feel just right. I’m of course a huge fan of the Ninja Gaiden series which I feel has the best fighting mechanics. So I use that as my inspiration. I couldn’t hope to match the complexity but I hope to match the smoothness and responsiveness.
So, the video is recorded in my game play test level. Mostly I wanted to show the possibility now of having many enemies to fight. It’s something new to the project, accept for having moved over to UE4 of course.
– UPDATE –
Just adding the demo link here, to the first post, so it’s easier to find.
– UPDATE –
Ninja Arcade Demo v0.02a - My 2nd demo. Though still considered an early pre-alpha demo, it is more representative of what my game is all about. Hope you guys enjoy it.
– UPDATE -
Ninja Arcade is now available to buy over on https://itch.io/ I hope if anyone decide to check it out that they enjoy it. It was a really fun but really challenging project to work on and I learned a lot by making it.
Here’s a direct link.