(WIP) - Ninja Arcade

Probably one of the smoothest WiP’s I’ve seen here actually, really good.

Thanks guys, again, thanks for the positive feedback.

Cracking effort, looking at animating characters, im amazed how smooth you have made the ninja.

Awesome work dude! Cannot wait to see more! :smiley:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the positive feedback.

Woooow !!!

You have done the animations too?

Impressive work there! Wow! :slight_smile:

Edit: Ah, one man team. Nice!

Thank you very much again for the positive feedback so far. I really appreciate it.

@ - Yeah, I do pretty much make it all myself. The only help I’ve had was the original high poly sculpture for the Mummy Soldier was done by a friend. He also did a basic texture pass that I ended up finalizing. The in game model and animations were all done by me. Everything else outside, or in the game, was done by me as well.

So, I’ve uploaded my first video of my “making of” videos. It has no real focus on any one thing, it’s a broad overview of what I’ve done so far and a quick peek into my blueprints. I will want to do more in depth videos of various “how does it work” kind of things. I’ve left this kind of open so if anyone watching this video wants any more info about any one thing, I can focus on that maybe. I don’t have any specific plans for future videos, I’ll just wing it as I did in the past with UDK videos and well, as you’ll see with this video, I just kind of talk about random stuff, no editing and no “script”. I tried not to get too side tracked and go on about things too much.

Anyway, hope it’s not super boring… :slight_smile:

Cool, thanks for doing the video!

Thanks for the video! Watching :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I get the feeling that a “making of” series isn’t a huge hit at this point, people prefer to see actual game play, but I’ll probably still end up making some videos and see if it’s useful or not. But anyway, I’ve done some actual “real” work on the game so this new video shows some progress there.

Mainly I’ve been working more on how the “Flying Swallow” attack functions. It is the most difficult of all the attacks to deal with so more work to come on that one for sure. Currently though, it has a much better feel now. You can basically slice through a crowd. I’ve changed a bit how the targeting works and added some features to how collision should be done based on that move, and even though the system there still needs more work to get it just to function more solid, it’s definitely feeling much better and much more powerful than before.

I’ve also updated the impact on the enemy and also a bit on the AI side for how the enemy deals with being attacked… etc. That stuff needs more work for sure but it’s now dealing with all that a bit better than before. Also, now the enemy can be sliced in half with a “power” move like the flying swallow or a combo finisher. It’s just a cool effect and I probably should have done it already, it’s been in my head for a while to implement that, but there’s just always something else to do that feels more important. But it’s in there now and it’s definitely fun to try and get some torsos flying… :slight_smile:

Looks awesome Obihb!

Hi there ! Great work and i was wondering if you are gonna add some control over the camera , or rotating it depending on location like in LOTR Return of the King :slight_smile:
Do you want to finish this as a game and release it ?

Thanks guys…

With regards to the camera, there will be no camera control from the player side. It is a side scroller. There is some automatic movement for special case areas.

As far as releasing the game, sure, that is the idea.

I really like the project idea , let me know if you will be looking for more people .
I’m environment artist and would like to be part of the project if you want to work with someone .

Thanks for your interest in the project and I really appreciate the offer to help. I’m not really looking to work with other people on this project.

This video is the first to show some of my blueprints in more detail. It’s focused on how my attack combo sequence works. So, I hope it’s not too boring to sit through. I tried to stay on point and not get too side tracked with stuff.

Looks fun!

Thanks for posting the second video, it will help alot.

I’ve been working on a new system for the enemies. What I wanted to do was allow them to be knocked down if it’s not a fatal strike, but then be able to recover, stand back up, go and get their weapon and continue going after the player. So, I’ve been messing around with it for a while and it’s started to come together now and I finally added some basic animations for it which makes it look actually fairly decent, considering the animations needs work. I currently don’t have a system for differentiating getting up from “back” or “stomach”. It’s basically just using one “get up” path and only have one animation right now, but it actually looks good at pretty extreme angles. I think once I have that system fully implemented it would be pretty natural looking from a huge variety of possible ragdoll positions.

So, in this video you can see 2 of the guys were only knocked down and could get back up. The one guy I kicked away a bit to show him go after his sword and you can actually see should have a “stomach” get up animation but even without it, works fairly well, though a bit unnatural. So, then they will go back and pick up their swords as well, and continue to chase the player.

I currently have a simple system for if the sword gets lost for whatever reason. If he can’t get his sword, he’ll just come after the player, regardless. I don’t have other attacks set up for that yet, but this whole idea is still a big work in progress. I kinda just went into it and it’s become a bit of a project to implement, but it’s a cool little feature that I always wanted back in the UDK version and never able to implement. Blueprint saves the day again… yay… :slight_smile: