[WIP] Mobile game - Not named yet

Busy setting up all the transforms for the camera, pawn, spaceship, target indicator, windows etc.
Lots of work. But exciting.

Had to rework a lot of textures to compensate for the new lighting that is night vision. I am in favor of the left look. Some say the right is better. But personally i feel night vision should look more like that on left.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Not much to report.
Play-testers are crying about the difficulty. They say its way too difficult.
Various bugs were discovered.

In effort to get rid of the bugs im doing a quick check and overhaul of the blueprints where needed as my knowledge has expanded.
I reworked the entire HUD using the UMG stuff. With the release of 4.5 preview i decided its time to test this UMG thing.
And i love it.

My HUD BP shrank significantly.
Also i could get rid of extra assets.

Less effort using it. Because with the old method i had to take into account the PostProcess fx and disable and enable that if i had menu’s open.

Example of what the difference is in the HUD blueprint after switching to a UMG interface.

f1612240b9d080a1ddba8bc993c9045300fbbd3b.jpeg

Last parts of the project seems to be taking longer than the initial creating.
Menu modified to look better.

Background ship moves n sucks humans up into the air. Just for fun

e889ac43145f54d585086d3662ecb02e2a296297.jpeg

So the last few days have been a nightmare.
Something since moving to 4.5 has changed a bit. I have been experiencing some strange things like hours of work being lost somehow. Just gone. As if it was never saved even though i always make a point of saving.

Also for some reason my character now has seizures when rotating.
Busy redoing a lot of work on an older version. Hoping this gets rid of a lot of ****.

The first test would be to take an older version, convert it 4.5 and see if it was the preview build causing all the nightmares. If it isnt then i must have messed it up which is the most likely scenario.

Sigh. Ok i took a working version and converted it to 4.5
It is 4.5 causing the issue.

This is a big problem.

Over the last few days i have done very little work. I guess after making the game Xoi San i have been somewhat riddled with fear of failure. Only yesterday did i realize that i have been deliberately delaying this game. For fear of another failure.
That being said today is d-day.
Today i pick up where i left off and finish this game. It could have been completed a month ago. But fear gripped me and struck me down.

Sure there were convenient excuses like having to remove rag dolls, or indicators for when you are close to objects, also having to remove physics for some assets and not to mention the 4.5 build breaking a significant amount of features that were working and having to find new methods of doing the same work.

But at the end of the day those were all excuses.
I start now. I declare it.

Will post later today what i was able to achieve with acknowledging that fear got the better of me in finishing this.

Here is the new HUD.
Rotation controls (removed swiping controls)
Lift up and down controls (removed swiping controls)
Eye next the pause (switches from night vision to normal vision)

Added new sounds
-Bumping into walls and other things
-New alarm trigger sounds
-Space Ship beam sound
-New Button sounds
-New glass breaking for lamps and other breakables
-Boy screaming after being woken up sound
-New snoring sound
-Music pending

All in all basically done. Need to test on device to confirm. Unfortunately due to this certificate bug introduced in 4.5 i have to wait another 1 hour and 45 minutes before i can continue development.

49d08e55b4d05bbd7360e914e9299e4b9d9e7125.jpeg

Splash Screen is simple.
All icons done. All splash screens done.

Today im trying to get the package below 50mb again.
Current at 59mb.

Been resizing all textures… moving over to lowering the quality of all audio.
Need to shave those MB’s

Not far to close this WiP thread and open a released one then ! Great !! ^^

Yip.

Or so i thought. It seems this 4.5 build brought more bad than good.
Have to redo all the variables… except… variables are now being reset to values i did not choose on every compile.

For example i set a simple tranform variable to a rotation value of x=0,y=180,z=-90
But when you press compile it sets x=180,y=0,z=90

So yes. There is that. Will mess around with it for a few more hours then rather pull the plug on this game and start work on another game while waiting for a better release of the engine.

The above was my tantrum.

I found a work around.
Do not use transform variables

Hmm. Getting there. Been held up for a few hours with the strangest issue.
I have an actor. It has an event. On begin input touch. This fires fine.
I have another actor. But this one does not register on begin input touch.

Im too scared to test by removing and adding my other actors events in case this is a new bug and somehow my old information is still working but wont once i re add it. Facepalm

Edit : Worked around it by using a widget instead

About transform issue, i got a weird thing recently : I used a transform variable which not updated but when i used a location one added in transform it worked.

About your actor issue, i don’t know but maybe a “cast to” or a branch condition somewhere in your event is the trouble.

Maybe adding a sequence to have all events fired can be the solution at least to test without removing / adding anything.

Hi Fen.
Yeah epic acknowledged the bug with the transform stuff.
The actor thing i couldnt figure out so i just used a Widget Blueprint.

Today i also made the menu look good. Clean and neat.
Tearl sent me a PM asking how i went about the level selection stuff.

I wanted to make a tutorial but time is a bit short atm. I will make a video tutorial perhaps in the future.
ATM i believe the way i went about making this can be done a lot easier.

But as requested here are the blueprints screenshots. Readable.
I will see if i can find some time to explain exactly what i did but im sure its not too hard as i made this early in learning process :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a note this was made before UMG was more stable. So it was created with a simple actor and some static mesh components.
Hope it helps.

311fa8ce7ab135992dee40ff0c81f782fdd86482.jpeg
9b6b9082e3d9196425dad5c057854488d658d8ce.jpeg
33dd51fca945b2ccfcc74c1d1e531de022444197.jpeg

OK folks. Seems the game is done.
Oh wait. Need to add Iad support and ad mob.
But otherwise i think its done.

Still above size limit but now i just to shave off a few bytes
Will post a video just now.

Sound dude made some really fitting music as well.

Ahhh the android build is twice the size as the IOS build.
Probems

Mind the X. Some bug with the windows build. Not experienced on mobile

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hAvKkjj0bd0

I have gotten the package down to 55.5mb.

This is after resizing every texture, lowering all audio settings, optimizing every mesh to lower verts.
I dont know what else there is to do.

I wish there was some way to see the contents of the .pak file.
Would be nice to see what files are in there so i know what needs to be made smaller.

Edit:
Found a way.
UnrealPak.exe -extract
Seems the engine content is a bit bigger than my game content.
Need to figure out now how to strip engine stuff out… for example all the materials and **** that i dont understand the purpose of
:stuck_out_tongue:

52.4 mb

So close yet so far. If i can just get rid of the **** sky asset in the engine content in the package then im good.