[] WindowsTextureMovie

Ah, sorry, you’re right. The sample content is only updated with each major release.

I will post a tutorial later today, which should enable you to get started.

Haha, thought so!

Thanks! Looking forward to the tutorial!

I’ve got the latest version of UE compiled from , not really sure how to get things going. :S

Media Solution for Long Initial Black Loading Screens?

Dear Gerke,

In 4.5 can we use the media system to put up a picture or movie during the initial loading phase of the engine where the screen is black?

Solus has about a 1 minute black screen while all blueprints compile while loading the game from commandline, with editor closed!

Again I’m talking about just the initial black loading screen, when game is first started from commandline.

Here’s my answerhub on this matter:

Thanks Gerke!

Great news about the new Media Framework

• is it still scheduled for v4.5?

• will it be able to support live video input? e.g. from Phone Camera or Decklink card?

Thanks!

I want to ask this too. I’d love to be able to map a live image onto an object.

Sorry for the delayed response - we are completely slammed right now as we’re trying to get 4.5 out the door.

The Media Framework is still coming in 4.5, but I will have to downgrade it to “Preview” status. We did not manage to get the iOS and Android plug-ins done in time, and MacOS only has the most rudimentary functionality at the moment. The only full implementation is for Windows, but that one is having problems, too. In particular, the range of supported file containers and encoders is very limited right now. We are currently working with Microsoft to get these resolve. It may result in dropping Windows Media Foundation and switching to a different API (Media Engine) on Windows.

Video input from webcams and video capture cards will not be supported, but this is something we started looking into this week (in the context of film production studios). It is not clear at this point whether this should be part of the Media Framework or a completely separate API. Although there is a little bit of overlap (i.e. video data being put on a texture), the media API is probably not a good fit for this use case. Some further research and thought is needed.

So, to sum it up, you will be able to play video files in your level and in UMG in 4.5, but the functionality should be considered experimental, and the API may change. We hope to have a more polished and production ready version for 4.6.

So if i want to play a cutscene video,it won’t work on android and ios?
I tried GetMoviePlayer()->PlayMovie(),it works good on windows,but nothing happens on android.

Im wondering if live video from another source could be hacked in using QT or something - similar to the VaQuole .

I’m really interested in this - i’m trying to build a virtual studio set using oculus to track a handheld camera.

that is correct. we are implementing Android support this week.

Thanks for the updates Gerke!

Great work!

:slight_smile:

Can someone link me the 4.5 version? I went to to try to test out the video playback but I am confused as to what I am supposed to download from there. It will be my first time trying to compile the source engine so any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

Sorry for the delay again - we’re still slammed. Preliminary documentation for the Media Framework Preview is now available here: Media Framework Documentation for 4.5 Preview - Content Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

All further updates will be posted in that thread as well. Please also post Media Framework related questions there, so we don’t have to high-jack this thread here anymore, thanks! :slight_smile:

Much appreciated Gerke!

Hi there,

So I saw that packaging should work as long as I put the videos into the Content/Movie folder.

I have the movie playing fine when I am doing play as Standalone game, however when I packaged the game all I see is a white screen, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Here are everything I am doing
-I got the 4.5alpha version from early last week.
-Set Media Player URL to the exact full path on my local machine, inside the Content/Movies folder.
-Set to Auto Play on Playback
-Packaged development

Thanks for the help! I am still looking into this.

This might be a very noobish question but I am having trouble with this.

From what I can see I have set everything up correctly, but I am not able to see how to actually use it. Is it a material? Is it something that appears under details? Can someone tell me exactly what you do to actually use it once it is set upas I am not seeing it. Thank you.

Sorry for noob question, is not possible to direct test the just insert it in folder? Must be compiled with the UE 4 source? I have tried to place the folder in engine and project folder and responses “Game code couldn’t be compiled…”.

Unreal 4.4.3 Vs.

is this not yet available to the Ue4.5.0 release ? is it possible to implement it in the initial installation ?

I dont really get this entire compiling thing… too much work !

I really have no plans to update this to v4.5 due to the fact it has been superceded by a far better implementation by Gerke (Max) from Epic. So if you are using v4.5 I would recommend you take a look at the new Media Framework.

hey,
is there a way to import movie while the game is running. i want to import movies by player and then play them in the game.
tnx