Why UE4 isn't using Enlighten?

and this is not optimization this is just something that have a lot of poly and texture to destroy your pc.

even n3ds have better graphic than this.

and i havent seen such an ugly scalable settings even soruce have a better way of optimization and he is older than ue3 and ue2 i think.

why did you deleted my post
Ow is on page 2 sry

UE4 is a better toolset IMO, and we have Source Code. That last part counts for a lot whether you use it yourself or not.

And seriously guys, when posting please try and pay attention to dates. I appear to have stepped back in time a year.

I still don’t know what the problem of this thread is, you can BUY Enlighten and integrate it with Unreal - they support it, but it’s not free like Unity, because Unity hides all the source code away from you. Besides, you now have four GI solutions to choose from in Unreal, and you have all the source code for them:

VXGI - Top-Notch, Looks fantastic, bit perf intensive but definitely a future contender
DFGI - UE own solution for Dynamic GI static lighting. Still in development, but nicer than LPV. Requires Mesh Distance Fields.
HFGI - Landscape-solution for fast height-based GI.
LPV - Simple solution that can work well in specific circumstances. It’s also the same version as Lionheads (they merged they’re changed back to UE).

Frankly, you’re spoilt for choice!

Voxel Cone Tracing is the (current) future for DGI.

you can get the unity source code but is not free.

and who of those GI get you higher performance?

and Voxel cone tracing was implemented in unity first than ue4 release.

Enlighten is very slow, and doesn’t work with dynamic objects which means it’s extremely limited. And besides that, the baked lighting system in Unity is broken, both with Unity 4 and Unity 5, you simply can’t get the same lighting quality that you can get with UE4. The main issue is their directional lightmaps which don’t work properly.

True, but now that the potential and quality of multibounce VXGI is established, I believe Nvidia and AMD will want to really optimise and deliver the required playability for voxel cone GI on new GPUs going into the future. A mid-range Nvidia Pascal for example should handle multibounce VXGI with ease.

To be honest, as of this year, one of the reasons why I bailed from Unity was indeed in Unity 5 baked lightmapping (not precomputed GI) was quite broken and nothing near Lightmass. They changed from Beast to Enlighten for baked lightmapping as well as precomputed GI and this was quite a mess, IMO they were targeting the GDC “co-announcement” with UE4 to ship Unity 5 and as such there were quite a number of issues outstanding.

They may have fixed lightmapping recently and I would still use Unity along with UE4 and Daz 3D for my current project. But in terms of the go-to game engine, UE4 with Lightmass and voxel cone GI is, for me, the one to beat.

Also, I appreciate the Unity community and met Unity staff in person and on the forums. They were very understanding despite me getting quite abusive (which I apologised for) regarding the half-baked (pun intended?) release of Unity 5 lightmapping.

However, surprisingly, the Unreal community is more well-managed (I expected lots of snobs, but instead people are nice!), more cutting-edge and more “AAA” focused.

Well that’s my opinion on the matter. To reiterate I would still use Unity 5, UE4 and Daz3D and who knows what else to get my current project rolling.

In any case I’m still coming into the 3D world from a gamer perspective so still learning tons of stuff, who knows what the future holds. But indeed with UE4 code and it’s nice to have stuff like VXGI to play with and on a more practical level HBAO in-engine and stuff like that. Not that I understand the code, but just Git Clone and Build is nice to access all the different versions of UE4.

Gentlemen, start your engines!
(engines, get it? heh heh)

OK enough puns for tonight.

Quantity != Quality.

None of those impresses me except for VXGI. The problem is that it’s not a part of the engine and does not run well which makes it useless for games.

It’s been 3 years give or take since we saw SVOGI, I think it would run much faster today.

Forget about Unity, Cryengine got it’s own SVOGI meanwhile we are happy with a cheap copy of their old lighting system (LPV).

So no, we’re not spoiled.

Does not run well with default settings. There are quite a few configurable settings to play with, that can produce nice results and a decent speed, even on slightly older cards. Obviously VXGI is not designed to be ran on older machines. The big downside as you have stated is that its not a part of the engine (or a plugin) making it unattainable to most people, but this is something NVIDIA to want to have happen in the future. Below is a quote from Alexey:

Slow really with unity 5 and realtime shadows and gi i get 60fps or more with bloom and tonemap, with unreal i get 30 fps with static lightmap and low poly scene no postprocesing effect.

and for your lowquality light map is because you have a bug or you use compresion.

VXGI is basically SVOGI. Only difference is that VXGI has fast voxelization(with nvidia hardware) and use 3d clipmaps instead of sparse voxel octree.(Which is slow.)

ue4 is slow with static light if you make it even slower with vxgi then why to use fake gi just use a real gi api.
the porblem of ue4 is performance and optimization as i sad even source have a better optimization system and source is older then ue3 or even ue2.

Running Enlighten is extremely slow–it takes way way longer than it does to bake static lighting. And the static lighting has a bug where it simply does not show correctly, that’s only an issue with Directional Lightmaps which you need if you have normal maps and reflections. The worst case is for mobile where baked directional lightmaps have extreme artifacts and Enlighten runs too slow to use at all. With Unity 4 the directional lightmaps don’t work correctly on both PC and mobile.

UE4 on the other hand I do nothing to get the lightmaps working correctly, they look perfect on both PC and mobile and the lighting build times are much better.

Once I had a 12 million poly scene, and was testing both on Unity and UE4…
Basically it was like:

Me: “-Hey Unity5, can ya lightmap this for me?”
Unity: “-WHAHH!!! Nope… Help! Halp! Hallllpppp.”

Me: “-What about you UE4, are you up to this one?”
UE4: “-Well, gimme 9gb of ram and 16 minutes. No problem!” :wink:

Which GPU do you have? I am quite sure i can get around 30fps with static lighting and no PP(meaning no AO and SSR) “low poly” scene even on my GTS 250. Unless you have such an old card you must be doing something terribly wrong.

yes this is why 90% of android and ios game are made with unity because unity is broke.:confused:
and then why is unity far more fast then ue4.

but if i have a terrible gpu the why is unity more fast ??? with enlighten too???
bay the way i have a hd 3000 is not power full but runs well all the game except ue4 game.
i think you are so dumb then you dont notice that you are playing in window mode so 30fps of course are no problem but i don’t want a pc to make & play nintendo ds games for pc.

They don’t use directional lightmaps–most games try to get as many users as possible and not everyone has the most powerful devices. Just check out those apps–if it’s using baked lighting then they aren’t using specular/normal maps. If they’re using dynamic lighting then they don’t use dynamic shadows. If you want high quality baked lighting you have no option in Unity.

If Unity Suits your needs then use Unity. Nobody is forcing u to use Unreal. And if u want Unreal with Enlighten integrated, they have a separate license for that.

http://www.geomerics.com/blogs/subway/

Thanks,

i want ue4 to be optimized and run fast this is it,i dont have problems whit ue3 i like it more then unity even if i dont know how to use kisme but then the ue4 come out and the blueprint is amazing but ue4 runs well only on powerfull gpu and this is sh*t.
i only want tu run my game with shadows and bloom at 60 fps this is all i ask.

yes you have options in unity to make great light map.
dont critique unity the point is unreal dont run well in powerless gpu this is what im saying.

i use static map without normal or specular and is very slow. is this only my problem ,is this a bug or is just unreal engine 4?