Why UE4 isn't using Enlighten?

Does it? Then what am I doing wrong? It gets to clustering on an interior scene it takes hours and the scene in all fairness isn’t “that” big… On some beefy hardware may I say too. If it’s me being daft then I’ll change my opinion.

So is LPV. How many bounces to you get with Enlighten? I’m assuming one, and I’m betting it still suffers light-leaking through thin geometry and only actually shows the indirect lighting within a specified range. LPV is exactly the same and the end result isn’t much different. The problem is that people have only ever switched on LPV in the settings .ini files, put a quick level together and judged LPV based on that.

Dead Island 2 is now using LPV without any tweaks at all, Lionhead is using it in Fable: Legends and both games look bloody stunning. LPV isn’t a first-class feature of the engine so we don’t have a nice level to look at to visualize it in all it’s glory, but it’s really not that much different from Enlighten. Alongside that, you need neither cages or Lightmaps for LPV.

No, LPV isn’t nearly as good as the results from Enlighten, and Enlighten isn’t as good as Lightmass, but that’s the difference between real-time and static.
The LPV resolution quality is very poor, and I don’t think it even renders shadows, but it’s hard to tell because the quality is so bad.

Have you guys seen the real AAA uses of LPV though? It looks great, seriously take a look at Dead Rising 2 and Fable: Legends. F:L is running strictly on Xbox One too.

Thats a problem with static, which is is it static. Good in scenes & showreels scenes where your lights or object do not move, (& you have to use lightmaps) but not so fantasy in full dynamic environments.

I do not think they are using stock LPV solution, but I could be wrong.

It doesn’t though, when you’re outdoors most of the lighting is direct lighting from the sun, LPV adds that little bit of bounce lighting so you get it looking a little nicer in the shadows, but once you go indoors where things require a lot more indirect lighting you see the LPV effect more and it looks terrible.

From what Epic has said about Lionhead’s LPV version they pretty much are.

Also, that video of Enlighten in Unity is supposedly running slow enough that updating a material takes seconds and is running at a low FPS in that scene…which is practically empty. I’ll take Fable: Legends or Dead Rising 2 style LPV over that, on performance merits alone.

It may be extra work but it is actually fixable with PP volumes really. And i wont say that LPV is perfect but i havent seen anything that made me go wow from Unity’s Enlighten so far; even their little hut demonstration was horrible and probably the latest map you would like to demonstrate GI in.

I’ve tried lowering the LPV size and it didn’t improve quality all that much, I really don’t think that it’s capable of producing anything good outside of improving outdoor lighting a bit.
Not that I like Enlighten, I’m hoping we get a fully dynamic solution that doesn’t have the issues of either solution.

The GI in Fable Legends looks , and if that’s using the default UE4 LPVs that we have access to now, then I’m a happy camper.

Fable looks OK because it’s outdoors, most of the lighting is from the sun. Adding a little light to the shadows will make it look good even if it’s not GI.

I was under the impression it was modified, and perhaps after the game was released it was going to be ported back into UE4?

Epic already said a couple of times that what they have is what we have in UE4.

Lionhead’s GI has skylight injection which isn’t in UE4. Everything else though is the same.

wow i didn’t know ue4 doesn’t use enlighten.
this means that unity 5 have far more better lighting but need a shader editor and the graphics are going to be far more better then ue4. haw haw :slight_smile:

But if ue4 doesnt use enlighten why is it so slow???:confused:

Last I tried (within the last six months), this was what I found: Enlighten for Precomputed GI in Unity 5 is multibounce, and light-leaking doesn’t seem to be an issue. Precomputed bounce lighting is only for Directional lights. They are working on or have by now deployed precomputed bounce lighting for Point and Spot lights.

The Precomputed GI in Unity 5 means that for example if you have a Directional light you can change the intensity and angle etc. in realtime and the GI (multibounce lighting) will change accordingly. For Emissive textures you can change the intensity in realtime and the GI (multibounce lighting) IIRC changes accordingly. IIRC you however can’t MOVE the Emissive object in realtime and still get multibounce GI like the “Crash Bandicoot” video below.

There’s some details which I am still confused by since when talking about Enlighten Precomputed GI one has lights moving and multibounce for that, but also objects moving and receiving direct and indirect (bounced) lighting. But FWIW last I tried that’s the situation with Enlighten in Unity 5. I have not explored the latest about Enlighten NON-Precomputed GI in Unity 5 (if such a thing exists).

That’s why as I detail below VXGI-type full dynamic GI eliminates all the worry about what lights are moveable, when and how it bounces, what objects move where and get what bounced lighting, light probes, etc. Finally if I am not mistaken with VXGI Specular and Screen Space Reflections you can also throw reflection probes out the window.

But UE4 has the 100% AAA shaders and post-processing as well as Lightmass baking for static objects and Lightmass precomputed lighting for dynamic objects. And UE4 has… VXGI :slight_smile:

To be honest, for me, VXGI as full dynamic GI with zero-bake, zero-precompute is the frontrunner. LPV still seems quite far behind.

Nvidia has released some(?) or all(?) code for VXGI so while it is obviously Nvidia-oriented, a “unifie**d” voxel cone tracing GI solution for Nvidia and AMD could be “easily” implemented in the next several years for UE4.

AFAIK for FREE for UE4 since Nvidia contributions to UE4 codebase fall under the UE4 license whereby Epic doesn’t have to pay for those contributions (a very clever strategy by Epic but good for everyone in general since now the voxel cone GI code (some or all?) is open for all to see). So apparently totally no need for Epic or game developers to license Enlighten from ARM/Geomerics.

EDIT: VXGI source is available for all unless there are still Nvidia VXGI DLLs that are closed source? Can anyone clarify this?

Anyway. An Nvidia 980 Ti already handles such an immensely demanding solution, by 2020 Nvidia and AMD GPUs will already be able to handle full dynamic GI such as VXGI. Enlighten is an extremely respectable solution but zero-bake full realtime dynamic lighting with multibounce GI is the most likely long-term future of game engines. As they improve such GI solutions by 2020 they could even be indistinguishable from physically-accurate renders. Heck, you could even have Octane for realtime game engines around 2020 if Nvidia’s Pascal, Volta and beyond scale as they expect.

Below is the VXGI zero-bake for “Matinee”, “Infiltrator” and “Crash Bandicoot/ Realtime Apartment”. These are quite rough tests so over time VXGI and suitable adjustments for VXGI/ other voxel cone on AMD… results will only get better and become literally indistinguishable from Lightmass at playable framerates on mid-level GPUs. “Crash Bandicoot VXGI” already shows how with just a few emissive cubes you’re getting Enlighten-like quality and developers are only ~just~ starting to tweak and refine VXGI.

Credits: “Matinee” VXGI video is by me. “Infiltrator” VXGI video (unfortunately with animations somehow messed up) is by RoofMonkey. “Crash Bandicoot VXGI” is by CryZenX.

To be honest, I really don’t think we’ve all grasped how significant VXGI and similar zero-bake, zero-precompute, zero-lightmap full GI solutions are.
WARNING: Towards the end of the “Infiltrator” video it flickers and glitches very intensely due to the lighting at that portion not being tweaked yet. **

TBH they don’t look next-gen to me when it comes to lighting. Even EPIC admits that LPV is something created by Lionhead and will not be maintained.

unity have the light probe for dynamic object and soon will support enlighten dynamic object gi.
The only thing why ue4 is used by AAA studios is shader editor, matinee and blueprint.
And a suggestion for unreal is optimize ue4 because unity will have those feature soon and than i think AAA studios will no long use unreal.
Regarding the vxgi do you think it is going to make ue4 faster or slower.
And do you think that unity cant integrate it to.

the third video wow impressive 2 box with physic and a scene with 5-10 textures 5800mb of ram(this i optimization :confused: :p).