Why this light flickering?

Lots of (51^3) instanced Nanite box meshes. No z-fighting here. SDF generation for material is on. Quality High (almost same with Epic). UE 5.1. and gpu is rtx 3060.

1 Like

Have you tried just Nanite OR instancing?

In fact, just instancing would probably be best.

Nanite is used to generalize detailed meshes as you move away. But there’s nothing for the Nanite to do here. It’s a cube.

Each tool has a specific use scenario.

1 Like

Not instancing is not an option, as I am generating those cubes at runtime. Turning nanite off gives me better fps, you could be right about that. However nothing changes regarding the flickering. Same :confused:

I might have to try this next time I’m at a machine. Are you using the default lighting setup?

1 Like

Yes started a fresh project and haven’t touched any settings.

PC.zip (20.1 MB)

Here is the project. Open kaka_map and press play, fly away and closer to the chunk and you should get same, I hope.

There are no maps… :thinking:

2023-01-03_130625

Yes, sorry, I ran it directly from the zip. Hey, it is Monday… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Strange. In my timezone its Tuesday

OMG :rofl: Tuesday after Christmas, which is an honorary Monday…

Ok, I get this

cubes

Hardly anything.

1 Like

For me it starts when move in and/or to sides.
What is you gpu and avg fps?

But yeah I see it vividly. It depends from person to person, but for me, very disturbing. And almost a joke for a real video game.

I have a GTX1660Ti, 60 fps.

As always, if you or any of your IMF, er, I mean, try using studio drivers?

My GPU drivers are all up to date. I am on windows 11. But it doesn’t matter. Its also blinking in your video. So Lumen its not that great for everything.

I also don’t understand why Nanite gives me worse FPS. It should optimize also scene with lot of low poly objects, because collectively they create lots of polys. No?

Lumen always this ‘creeping noise’ in the shadows. I think it will be quite a while before that goes…

You know that ‘everything looks like a nail to the guy with the hammer’ thing? That’s Nanite. Don’t use it if you don’t need it.

Like I say, Nanite works on a PER MESH basis :slight_smile: Your meshes are not complex - boom - you don’t need Nanite.

Try the same experiment with 500,000 insanely details statues of the Buddha, and use Nanite instead of instancing, and that work work.

Notice, Lumen is not being used for this scene?

Try it as a HISM

Why its not used?
What is HISM?

Lumen doesn’t work for instanced meshes, I think. But it does for hierarchical instanced meshes.

I also noticed that Kaka was not set? I put one of your cubes in there, I don’t really understand what was setting it :slight_smile:

Hmm, not sure why it was not set. But u can drag untiled2 cube from props into the kaka property (sorry for not fixing the names) for RealSpawn bp.

Yes tried it with that. Very similar, even with the sun low…