Why my static mesh turns black after lighting build?

I’ve got one warnings like this: Warning building_0 The total lightmap size for this InstancedStaticMeshComponent is large, consider reducing the component’s lightmap resolution or number of mesh instances in this component.

I have tried many lightmap settings but got the same black result. The model was exported from blender. I don’t want to create lightmaps manually.

Hi!

Black is usually when there is no lightmap uvs (or wrong channel is set) to visualize lighting information…
The highest resolution you can set is 4096… and this is going to be your lighting detail in pixels!! …so try not to have a lot of meshes attached together because you’ll run out resolution pretty soon…
…if you could post your mesh + lightmap uvs we might tell you more! :wink:

Yeah this single static mesh has lot of submesh attached together. I dislike this lightmap thing in unreal, we can say it is a limitation.

I don’t see it like that but sure YOU can say it! :wink:

I have tried to import the model with separate meshes nad I still got black mesh after light build. Also I tried with 4096 size lightmap but still got full black. The interesting thing is that when I modify the lightmap resolution to the same or different value, the mesh darkness is fixed, but when I build the lighting the black comes back.

Black means there is no “place” to “show” the lighting information… raising the lightmap resolution won’t help since Unreal doesn’t find the map where to put the data onto… raising a zero map will still stay zero…
When you do that (changing resolution in the editor) what happens is that the static lighting map gets cancelled and you see the object dynamically lit! …but then you build your lights and it all goes back to black…
Are you sure you have a lighmap (uv channel) ready for your mesh(es)? Are you sure that that uv channel is set as lightmap?

No, as I said I don’t want to make any lightmap thing, because this is just extra work, and before moving to ue 4 I have never seen any stupid thing like this in other game engines. It should be all automatic, since if I can get good light result with dynamic lighing why can’t unreal make a lightmap from that for static ? By the way I read somewhere that some lightmap generation happening when I import, so I should have one. Thank you for trying to help me !

No worries! Look some software needs texture maps, some needs light maps… what is normal here won’t be there… I do understand your frustration!! …in the beginning it looks like a pain in the ***… but to be honest after a while I even started to like creating these maps! :smiley:
Anyway YES, on import you can turn on generate lightmap uvs…
…one thing for sure either you’re fed up with this system or not: without lightmaps you won’t have static/stationary lighting…