Why is reflection intensity tied directly to opacity on materials?

I am rendering out several very hi res still images of products in several different clear bottles. I am using raytracing/path tracing in UE5. As I am developing the look I am wondering why reflections are diminishing and fade away the more transparent a material is. To where at full transparency there is zero reflections. It is very difficult to achieve the look I want and have full control over reflections when its also fully tied to the opacity, and I need to have almost fully transparent glass/plastic bottles that also have strong reflections. I would imagine that full ray trace/path tracing would be physically accurate to the real world, or other 3D packages where this is not the issue and not the case. I have found some ok middle ground, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or what the theories, tips and tricks are for dealing with this in UE?
I have tried additive materials, masked, all the blend modes, all the lighting modes, all the shading models, and nothing seems to really help. Setting the glass material to metallic helps a bit but makes the glass color too dark, and since some of the products in the bottles will be colored, I cant really use metallic, as it then tints the reflections to that base diffuse color, when I need them white.

If that is how it is, my 2nd question would be is there some hidden option somewhere to just boost reflections on a material(where Specular is already set to a full 1) I think I have seen this option for other attributes of materials, boost emissive, boost diffuse, etc. Hoping I can just boost reflections(make them superbright) without affecting or changing anything else about the lighting.

I just really need reflections to match across all the bottles, where some bottles are filled to be completely opaque, and other have products inside that are about 10% - 30% transparent.
Attached is the glass material going from 0 Opacity, to 1 Opacity. No other settings have been changed.
I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Screenshot 2022-10-10 165057
Screenshot 2022-10-10 165140
Screenshot 2022-10-10 165208
Screenshot 2022-10-10 165239

PS yes I know I could likely adjust and comp the reflections later in a different app, which I hope to eventually do, but Ive yet to have much experience or much luck doing this in UE compared to most other 3D apps.

Try using the “Thin Translucent” Shading model, not “Default Lit”. Its specular reflection is not affected by its opacity.

Thank you but I have tried Thin translucent, but it was just completely broken using Path Tracing. Made the glass fully black and weird artifacts that I couldn’t figure out(though seemed to be set up fine as it looked to be working on in regular ‘Lit’ editor view mode).
However I think I literally figured out the issue right after posting this, of course. Weeks of dabbling and fighting this, and then literally stumble across the answer after spending all this time writing this out. Haha. turns out the key is the refraction setting. I had refraction disabled, so I could just focus on testing reflections. And before that I was originally using a Fresnel, lerp, trick, 1.2 on the outside of the fresnel edge and 1 on the inside. I then just now plugged a value of 1.5 directly into the refraction, and got majority of reflections back at full transparency. First image was using my old fresnel refraction settings.
thank you for the suggestion though.

2 Likes