Why does the Play Standalone Game revert back to a 640x480 window?

Hi,

So it’s a problem that I didn’t have before. When I use the Play Standalone Game option from the Unreal Editor to try my game, the game loads in the correct resolution (the one I chose in the Level Editor Play settings"), but 1 second after the game launch it instantly turns into a 640x480 window, and it reposition itself at the top left corner of my screen.

Anyone else has this problem?

Hi Pitcher666,

I changed my settings for the Level Editor > Play on my system and it seems to work fine. You’re changing the settings in the Play in Standalone Game section and not the Play in New Window section, correct?

Thanks, TJ

I am changing it in the Play in Standalone Game section, yes. See : http://puu.sh/8tG00.png

I tried both, the Play in New Window settings works fine with the New Editor’s Window mode, but whatever resolution I put in the Standalone settings, it always launch at the correct resolution and always switch back to this a couple seconds later : http://puu.sh/8tGcA.jpg

Also, I remember that I was able to resize my Standalone window, now it doesn’t allow me to do it. I’m maybe wrong about that tho.

I just tried with a new project and I realize that it is working just fine. Could it be that my first project comes from version 4.0.2 and has been converted to 4.1, or is there anything else, other than the Level Editor> Play settings where there are some settings about the Standalone game? Someone might have checked or unchecked something. I highly doubt that it is something in the code, since we are using a fresh version of the Engine from Github, and we didn’t changed anything about game resolution in the project code. Other than that particular problem, everything is fine with the game, we launched and packed it to try and it’s working #1. The problem is really only with the Standalone game in the editor.

Are you using one of the templates, ex. the First Person Shooter template as the base for your game?

Thanks, TJ

yes First Person Code template

I’ve tried testing multiple ways and on different versions of UE4 without being able to reproduce it. What is the exact resolution you are setting the Stand Alone Games size for?

Any resolution give the same result. Right now I am testing at 1600x900

Hi Pitcher666,

Thank you for your feedback on this issue. We are currently investigating what could be the cause. We are going to mark this answer as correct for tracking purposes, but if you find any new info or come across the fix, please post back here to let us know.

The workaround would be to play the game in the smaller window or another play mode. I’m sorry there isn’t a better workaround, but hopefully it will work for the time being.

Thank you for you patience, TJ

Hi TJ, any news on this?

Hi John,

Unfortunately not. This was an issue that we could never reproduce on our end. I was on the lookout for any other reports of this that had reliable repro steps.

I’m assuming that you are experiencing the issue now? If so, what version of the engine are you using and can you supply repro steps?

Yeah, I’m experiencing it now. I am using 4.10.1. I don’t know the repro steps, it just suddenly happened (a few weeks or a month ago) that every time I start my game in standalone, a small 640x480 window pops up at the bottom left corner of my screen, and thats actually on my second monitor since he is standing left from my main one. The setting for it in project settings does not affect the resolution at all now.

Is the small 640x480 window the ‘play window’ or is it popping up as an additional window? And if so, what does it display?

Its the game window itself, so its displaying the game. When you play your game in standalone, a window pops up where you can play your game, and that window is popping up in the bottom left corner of the screen with a resolution of 640x480.

I can then open the console in the game and call “r.setres 1920x1080f” or any other resolution to change it, but the next time I start the standalone game, its again 640x480.

Hey John,

I’m sorry that it’s been a few days. I still haven’t been able to reproduce this and I haven’t found any other recent reports.

However, I did some searching and found another report that may have some possible solutions. Give the suggestion by Terence Burns a try and also the OP haimat.

Let me know if they help or not.

I have tried the solution from there, but it did not change anything. Heimat also said he has the same problem if he starts the game in “Play in new Window”, thats working absolutely fine for me. If I start the game with right click on uproject file and “launch”, that also works fine, and that should be same as “standalone” I think.

It’s just the standalone launched from editor where this issue occurs.

Since we are still unable to reproduce this in-house, could you post here or PM me a link to download the project that is having the issue? If I can get a project, I can at least enter a bug for our devs to investigate.

Hi John,

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as resolved for tracking purposes. If you still want to investigate the issue further, just post back here with the requested info to reopen the post.

Cheers,

TJ

I have the same issue using 4.10.3. For me it also changes the window resolution down, although I changed them. And also, when using PIE (new window) mode, everything is just fine (concerning window size at least).

However, I made another observation:
I changed the setting “auto connect to server” and expected the second window to show no error, when I am setting up my own server in the first window (and, thereby, closing the server which is set up when testing with more than one window). (If the second window is truely not connected to the server in the first, it should not disconnect, thus no error…)
However, it still shows the disconnection message, so I guess it still was connected dispite changed settings…

I tried some more settings and got odd results:
I turned off the “use single process” option. When I play as client or listen server (in option: editor multiplayer mode) and than test as standalone game I get the window size i specified in “multiplayer window size (in pixels)”. If I choose “play offline” (in option: editor multiplayer mode), the play window, as soon as I test as standalone game, stretches over the entire width of one of my monitors…

Hi Syrill,

The networking element of your issue likely makes this different from the issue above. Could you create a new report in the Bug Report section? Make sure to include some sort of test project because it is possible that it is confined to your project alone.