Why does the Play Standalone Game revert back to a 640x480 window?

I wasn´t able to reproduce the issues with 4.10.4 so far. When they occour again, I gladly will create a bug report.

have same bug (editor preferances ->play in standalone game section - resolution changes does not affect game started by presing “play standalone game”

Hi Jeka3d,

I just tested this in 4.14.3 and I’m not seeing the same behavior. Setting the resolution in the Editor Preferences always plays correctly for me.

If you are seeing this issue in a new project, please post back here with exact repro steps and I will investigate further.

Cheers,

TJ

This just solved my issue enough to know how to change the res when this happens. There is definitely a bug in the engine but it comes after a certain event or a crash.

Pick at least 2 players to launch with. Then, when you turn off the “Use Single Process” checkbox in the Play > Editor settings, you get the ability to set your Multiplayer Res in there as well. My game (with single process ticked, running 1 instance standalone) was 640x480 just like yours, and turns out the newly available Multiplayer Res setting was also set at 640x480.

I changed this newly available Multiplayer Res setting to 1280x720 and launched 2 games for the sake of it. They both spawned with my new resolution (as they now should). But then when I check Use Single Process again and make the game run just one standalone instance, it now runs at the setting of 1280x720.

To add to this, the whole time my “Play in Standalone” resolution was always set at 1280x720. So now that my game matched that setting, I’ve tried to change “Play in Standalone” resolution again and it still has no effect on my standalone game resolution.

But again, I can turn off Use Single Process, add a player to allow me to change the Multiplayer Res, change that Multiplayer Res to say, 320x200, then turn off Single Process, set back to single player, run Standalone, and it runs at 320x200. No matter what “Standalone” resolution I run, it makes no effect, but the Multiplayer window size does.

No combination of settings is allowing the “Standalone Res” setting to actually affect the standalone res once this happens. I do remember it once working the way it was intended to. I have no code in the game or console commands that affect the res. A cooked game currently runs in fullscreen and doesn’t exhibit any abnormal behaviour when this occurs, however imo this is a project afflicted, play in editor>standalone issue.

After manipulation with “Use Single Process” - the same happened with my standalone mode - it seemed as if it didn’t work at all as steam api didn’t work (there was no overlay and etc.).
Before the clicking those checkbox everything worked fine.
Reinstalling the ungine (with deleting all the folders after that) resolved the problem.

Don’t ever use that checkbox!

Thanks ph33x

Setting “Numbers of Players” to 2 in the “Multiplayer Options” allows you to set the multiplayer windows size which is overriding the resolution. This is a bug with a simple fix @staff

this is the solution, the multiplayer windows size options is indeed overriding the resolution! thnx