Why do wheeled vehicles on clients lag on local host?

Hi

I am currently working on a multiplayer game that involves players driving cars that are based on the built-in wheeled vehicle class. I have everything setup and working how I want it, but there is a small but noticeable lag with cars on clients when connected to a listen server on local host. I haven’t tried the game over a network yet, but if there is lag on local host I would imagine it would only be worse when communicating over the internet. I have tried to reduce the lag by replicating car transforms every tick as well as the default replication settings, but this only seems to make the problem worse. I’m relatively new to UE4 so I’m not sure what else I can do to try to fix this or whether this is some limitation with the engine and/or the wheeled vehicle class.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, vehicles don’t have any network smoothing / prediction, AFAIK currently only the character movement has that. What you can do is apply the client input directly on the client and also send it to the server (as opposed to just sending it to the server and waiting for replication).

And you could also read through this here Non-character movement replication - C++ Programming - Unreal Engine Forums

Also I never got vehicles to really work good so I might not be the best person to give you advices there =)