Why are my trace and item channels not saved?

I’m not sure if this is a bug or I am doing something wrong (i.e. there is some special button I must click to save project settings, however UE4 saves my action and axis mappings just fine). I have created a new trace channel and a new item channel so I can detect when the player is looking at items they can pick up. It works fine but every time I save and exit UE4 and then load the level again, my trace and item channels are gone and I have to create them again.

Hi jagoorv4,

Are you making sure to compile and save the blueprint you were working in as well before saving the map? If you just compile it will not save your changes.

Thanks for the response.

After finding it wasn’t saving, I went through and made sure everything was compiled and saved and that the level was saved but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. I will go through again next week when my computer is fixed (faulty PSU) and double check I didn’t miss anything.

Ok, computer’s back up and running.

I created the trace channel and collision preset (that’s what I meant instead of item channel), made sure all blueprints were compiled and saved, hit file > save on the editor, and it forgets them next time I launch the editor and open the project back up.

Have you been able to reproduce this in a clean project with no additional code? Additionally, can you show me a screenshot of how you have it set up so I can try to reproduce this on my end? Thank you!

I just found a workaround by hitting “set as default” after setting them up.

I successfully reproduced it on the blank project template without starter content - screenshots coming up…

(it won’t let me post the comment with the pictures for some reason so I’ll just describe it I guess)

1. Create a new blank project without starter content
  2. Go to edit > project settings
  3. Click on collision tab
  4. Create new trace channel, name: Items, default response: ignore
  5. Create new preset, name: Item, collision enabled, worldDynamic. Set to block the “items” trace channel
  6. Close project settings
  7. File > Save

Upon reopening, the trace channel and preset are gone for me.

I have the same problem. Is there a solution yet?

Also having this problem with the trace channels. For now I have to keep importing the config files every time I reload the project.

Hi glacierbolt,

do your Blueprints using the channels work after importing the config files? I have to go through all my Blueprints and reset the channel in every trace node which is extremely annoying.

EDIT:
I think I found a workarround. I appended the content of the file generated by the export function in the project settings to the project/config/DefaultEngine.ini file. That causes the the custom channel to be loaded correctly.
I am not sure whether this is a good idea or may cause problems but so far I am happy with it.

Hi everyone,

I was able to reproduce this and am attaching this conversation as well as my own findings to a bug report for assessment. Thank you and have a great day!

Just commenting to add that I’m having the same problem. The option to set as default is greyed out for me, so I can’t use your workaround either.

When is the bug going to be fixed? Also is there a page to monitor the progress of this bug? Also what is the workaround?

Hi ,

This bug has been fixed in our internal build, but I unfortunately do not know if this will be added into 4.3 or a later build. jagoorv4 did post his workaround earlier in this thread, please check there for an alternative solution. Thank you!

Thank you for this workaround. It helped me as I can’t use the Set Default button in 4.2.1.

If your “Set as Default” button is grayed out like mine was, my workaround was to hit the export button and export the custom settings to an INI file, then open it up and find the line that contained my custom trace channel, then copy it into my project’s DefaultEngine.ini file. I have a custom trace channel for a groundplane and it ended up looking like this:

I know that this is an old thread, but I have just encountered this exact problem in 4.13.2.
We have a child character class that is derived from our parent character class. We can change the Collision settings for the character mesh to custom, compile, save, submit to source control, then close and reopen the project and the Collision is reset to default.

This appears to be related to this issue: Editable Blueprint values keep resetting - Blueprint - Unreal Engine Forums

Our current workaround is to change the default CharacterMesh collision preset to our desired values. (Edit>Project Settings>Engine>Collision>Preset>CharacterMesh & then Edit)