Download

Whats your largest problem with making games?

Hello,
I am looking at making a training course for UE4 and game development. I would like to know, what everyone’s biggest difficulty with learning UE4 or game development is?
I would really appreciate any feedback for this.

Thank you in advance
David

C++…
Well im able to create some subobjects and variables or bind inputs… but if i want to fix code at character movement component (falling under lift when jump and lift is moving at faster speed) i have no idea where to start…

Or i want to make emissive widget text :slight_smile: but no idea where to do it.

Awesome Thank you! I agree that C++ in UE4 is very complex, and there is a ton the engine does. So basic c++ for making a game? Or would debugging make more since?

Its up to you :slight_smile:
Imo there are a lot tutorials how to do c++ basic games because its easy to use functions, but creating advanced new code is imo challenge and needed for everyone who seriously want to develop games.

Imo advanced c++ tutorial will be much appreciated by community, put it on udemy and you can also earn money…

Ben Tristem made 50 hrs tut c++ on udemy, its very successful but its pretty basic, im not satysfied with that.

Something like creating custom tools, custom sphere gravity, custom widget text emissive rendering, debugging package fails, multiplayer reconnecting, splitscreen… :slight_smile:

Personally, art has always been my issue. No matter how much I study or attempt, my artistic abilities are just extremely sub-par.

That you guys for the input.

Find a decent animator/rigger that can bring the stuff 3D artists make to life. For my last project for example i already spent 8000$ on characters and they are all still static… spend about 2.5k$ on animators who couldn’t deliver yet…

Also, find partners seems to be hard as an indie. I created and released 2 games already on Steam. So far combined over 100.000 copies - but i was never able to find someone to assist me based on royality. So i end up making the games on my own and spending about 50k-100k per title on freelancers, half of that money is wasted due to people not being able to deliver properly.

I wish i could find someone who likes to make a game with me and can either model, animate or code. A team would be so great.

I have 3 problems.

1. Content Creation is really really hard && time consuming unless you want to produce games made out of boxes and no textures(some people did and quite well).
  2. Epic wont give us a proper programming language, BP’s are slow once they grow a bit and translating them to C++ is an entire journey by itself.
  3. The Documentation is little to inexistent, by now i would have expected UE4 doc’s to be like unity, very well formatted, description that humans can understand for everything inside the engine, with at least one example per API class/function, and 2 different doc’s pages for BP/CPP separately.

Well point 3 effect is damped largely by the ammount of people posting solutions and videos on the net which makes development possible to a degree for solo/indie devs.

Im not complaining as per thread’s subject, just my opinion, and im not making comparisons UE vs unity either, because if i did i would have to complain about the poor state of CE5 and Lumberyard docs/api aswell, stay away from that stuff.

Hardest problem? Coming up with a concept / gameplay idea that feels exciting / has ‘legs’ etc…
One that keeps your interest long-term. so you don’t start to sway and abandon it for new ideas…
One that can keep you motivated to the end, until game time launch but also the marketing side…

Hardest problem? Coming up with a concept / gameplay idea that feels exciting / has ‘legs’ etc…
One that keeps your interest long-term, so you don’t start to sway and abandon it for new ideas…
Something that helps keep you motivated until game launch plus the whole marketing side too…

One that keeps your interest long-term, so you don’t start to sway and abandon it for new ideas…
Something that helps keep you motivated until game launch, plus the whole marketing side too…

Would have thought people would have chewed your arm off when you ‘publicly offered funding’ before? :stuck_out_tongue:
Internet distance makes it harder to find reliable people, plus people pull stunts they’d never do in person!
Also, everyone has ‘their own’ projects / ideas, so it can be tricky to get others to see value in ‘your ideas’!

Would have thought many devs would have bit your hand off when you ‘publicly offered funding’ before? :stuck_out_tongue:
Internet distance makes it harder to find reliable people, plus people pull stunts they’d never do in person!
Also, everyone has ‘their own’ projects / ideas, so it can be tricky to get others to see value in ‘your ideas’!

Would have thought many devs would have bit-your-hand-off when you ‘publicly offered funding’ before? :stuck_out_tongue:

A concept artist can really help get people on the right page. You left that out, and I can tell you a few pictures is worth a thousand words, and twice the productivity.
I have thrown away so much trash. My trash reduced significantly with just a simple concept artist. its an obvious reason aaa studios use it. The collaboration for just 3 people trying to create a level is chaos. One person might make a 120,000 tris character with 8- 4k materials. One person sends you clip art ran through a filter, and another sends you a 200mb vase. I literally had all 3 of those things happen to me. A guy actually created a 3d scan of a vase that was 300k tris, and had 4 materials that were 4k. It was supposed to be just a nice planter. I could scale it to be a sky scraper.

Its because no one wants to work with anyone else. They all want to do it solo. Which ofcourse at the end of the day, no one gets anything done.

its mind boggling. You could easily get a team of 10 who are good at one thing and make a game easy. A game that they could put on their portfolio.

but no. Its crazy

Maybe, or maybe that’s not it at all. Perhaps its more about passion and following ones own ideas etc.
Its just hard to put a value on early ideas especially in game work, so most projects don’t go anywhere…

Maybe, or maybe that’s not it at all. Perhaps its more about passion and following ones own ideas etc.
Its just hard to put a value on early ideas especially in game work, so most projects don’t go anywhere…

Premium support on google I think is like Fifteen thousand dollars Yes Thousand a month. The people actually established worked hard and really don’t want to give you all the answers for free. Or there coding to be a huge teaching lesson.

Seeing as I do most everything on my own in UE4 finding people to team up with is the hardest part for me. I have a preference to work on a particular part of game development but end up doing all of it alone for now.