What happened to smooth locomotion?

In 4.26 we had a VR template that had a smooth locomotion template.
In 4.72 UE5 all we have to step turns and teleporting.
As someone thats making a VR shooter its pretty useless.

Should I go back to 4.26 and develop there , then import into UE5 or what?

There seems to be a lack of tutorials on smooth locomotion .

Take a look at how I did it here: VR Template: Multiplayer, Items, Locomotion [All Blueprints] [Free]

Just getting a heap of errors,
The framework ‘Microsoft.NETCore.App’, version ‘3.1.0’ (x64) was not found.

• The following frameworks were found:
    2.1.12 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]
    6.0.5 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Does not matter using Unity with HurricaneVR framework, I had smooth locomotion, hand grabbing, weapons with priming, reloading, double grip points running in hour.
I dont really think Epic is that interested in VR going forward.

downloaded the 3.1 files, deleted the suggested files from project , used generate project files.
tried clicking on uproject and “switch UE version”, same result says try buiding from source manually

We’ve never had a native Smooth locomotion template in Unreal, but there are lots of community tutorials and projects available for download.

1 Like

This statement just shows Epics lack of support and commitment to VR.
Past being payed to make RobboRecal Epic shows no love for VR.
My older VR projects running on the latest versions have me looking backwards, very ironic really.
Using Unity and HurricaneVR I have smooth loco, physics, dual grip on weapons and it took all of 30mins to setup.
I could hack up my own version in EU , but I have no confidence it wont break in a future version or any new features your so proud of in UE5 will ever work in VR

The OpenXR and UE5 VR template is excellent, in my opinion. I had the exact opposite experience with Unity, which had me fiddling with packages and project settings for several hours to get a consistent experience with Oculus, Vive, and Reverb G2.

1 Like

Have you tried setting up a character in VR not just a pawn?
Tried , set up Collison layers or turn off physics on grabbed objects.
Crashed rather a lot.
Cannot complain about the frame rate or graphics, my imported gun looked great.

Went back to older projects, for some reason had to add 180 rotation to VR camera.

Tried the same project in UE5, camera is always 180 backwards , controls are always reversed. Whiplash type movement when rolling. Camera is 0.5m to the right of the seat. Often crashing. Easy setup this is not.

Really I had sooth loco and teleport working using a 25minute tutorial

There is another free template you can try that has multiple locomotion modes
VR expansion plugin
just download the template project for you ue version, don’t try to install the plugins manually, the template has a lot of config files and tags already set up.