What are the system requirements for UE5 Early Access?

Most importantly, will it run on ryzen 7 1700x? I have that

Btw u can run the editor that Epic gives u for a 20$ fee in id@xbox

On console. (I only know a method for xbox)

Enough information, but https://www.gameplaydeveloper.com/unreal-engine-5-system-requirements/ why is there a difference with here?

Nope - barely loads on mine and took over 45 minutes to install. It’s like the guy says - For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM.

I have a 10 years old quad-core processor, with R9 390 8 GB and 24 GB ram, UE5works like a charm.

really the GPU matters with 6+GB VRAM is good enough, if you have the latest drivers and all it will work.

Yes it takes 45 minutes to install on almost all old computers, depending on your download speed as well, and then shaders take 2 hours to load, but once that is done, it opens and closes pretty fast.

UE5 is based around next generation features.
So you should not expect to be able to run it smoothly on last generation pc hardware.
Sure if you turn off all new features, but at that point you might as well stick with ue4.
Running the editor is ofcourse different from running a finished build.
A modern xbox or playstation would not be able to open the valley demo in editor.
But a cooked build works just fine. Dont forget it’s running at 30fps with lower resolution upscaled
with temporal super resolution.
Running the editor on a 3080 currently and with an optimised scene that is very dense with foliage and nanite meshes with all features used( excluding hardware raytracing) im getting about 90fps without turning on tsr. And that’s “in editor”!

1 Like

Huh, this is weird, my 16-core CPU at 3.5 GHz (no points for guessing what model it is) and more importantly RTX 2060 Super runs the editor at 80+ FPS.

I got a laptop with a i7-9750h (6 core 2.60 GHz base, 4.50 GHz turbo), RTX2060 and 16GB RAM. Will this be enough or will I come across quite some problems because of the 6 cores on the i7 (instead of the recommended 12)?

Unlikely. Things may be not as snappy as you wish and the laptop will run hotter than usual.

1 Like

I am running a quad-core workstation.

The only issue is if you enable virtual texture or fog in the settings, it will recompile shaders, mine took 2 hrs to compile.

You need more cores to compile shaders fast.

Though I do not recommend 3D work ( you will not be using only unreal but 3D software as well) to be done on a laptop.

If you are looking for a long-term setup go for an assembled workstation.

Why you can check out one of my quora answers here, it applies to game dev and 3D works as well.

No take a year to compile gta 5 map with my pc

My laptop got fried so I am lo0oking for a new one with RTX for creating Unreal environments.
Which is more important 12 cores or RAM?
I’ve found a nice looking laptop with 16gb RTX 3080 and 32gb ram, but the Ryzen 9 cpu is only 8 cores.
What do you suggest?

If you can afford it, get it! A killer config for a laptop.

a nice looking laptop

With those specs, I wouldn’t care if it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down…

1 Like

they are about to find out how few people have these cards that arent rich, bit coin miners or render farms or dev studios that already exist…there goes all 400,000 hobbyists ya had and the migration to unity begins as well as godot

1 Like

It ‘installed’ on my comp but when launching i get error messages stating ‘A D3D11-compatible GPU (feature level 11.0, Shader Model 5.0) is required to run the engine.’ I ALSO now get this on 4.27 after downliading 5.0. i should also mention that after installation i lost my second monitor as well, my system wont even recognize it so now i wonder if this wrecked my os in som way because before i downloaded 5.0 i had NO issues with 4.24 through 4.27 at all.

UE 5 simulates, raytracing simulation, but a 1660 is far too tight, consider getting an RTX