Weird shading and lighting problem

when playing on medium quality the game looks and behaves weird i really need help solving it, thanks!

That is DFAO and it can look pretty rough like that, it’s the dynamic lighting system other than Lumen and SSGI.

You can control DFAO in the skylight. As far as I’m aware, there is no way to make the output smoother like something you would see in this clip (the ao that disappears) which you would think would be target output for DFAO at this point. But we splotch instead or over blown memory usage.

1 Like

thanks for the replay but even after playing with it it better but still got those weird artifacts and darks random corners maybe i need to transfer from DFAO to Lumen or SSGI? (playing on high or epic give great quality only the med and low looks terrible )

Yeah High is “60fps Lumen”, Epic is “30fps Lumen”, Low is nothing. Medium is DFAO.

I do wish DFAO could produce better results cause it’s pretty cheap.

DFAO requires some designing environments with it in mind, testing, and using the distance field debug views. The biggest issue is the ceiling is leaking. Make sure meshes are solid, have thickness, are broken up into separate chunks (separate mesh for the ceiling, each wall, each chair, etc). Probably a good idea to disable distance fields on the character capsule.

1 Like

Wow, I never realized how anti-draw call that kind of workflow is.

EDIT (Meant to be a reply to Weird shading and lighting problem - #5 by ZacD)

Thank you all!

1 Like