Vs2019 symbols not found for my project?

I’m using “DebugGame Editor” build. The file exists “Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-HeroQuest-Win64-DebugGame.pdb”. But when I attach to process and try to set a C++ breakpoint in my C++ code, I get “No symbols have been loaded for this document”.

Update: I can even set breakpoints in the UE4 engine code, but not in my own UE4 project.

Update: I tried reinstalling ue 4.25.1, repairing vs2019, and doing a fresh git clone of my project, but no luck. My teammate is able to set breakpoints, so it’s not an issue with our game’s git repo I guess.

Thanks for the hint with the pdb file location. The fix for me was to run the debugger as you did, and then in VS go to Debug > Windows > Modules, and look for my project dll (UE4Editor-YourProject-Wing64-DebugGame.dll), right-click on it select load symbols, and manually select the pdb file.

I think the source of the issue has something to do with my project being in a mounted folder (I mapped an older drive to C:\Slowdrive and put my UE project there). When I was in the debug modules window I saw that some where located in C:\SlowDrive… and some were in \Device\HarddiskVolume5…, so I think the build is getting confused between the two.

I followed the instructions here

In my case, it helped when I deleted Intermediate, Saved, .vs, Binaries folders and then regeneraged VS project files and recompiled.

had same problem , UE5.1 ! PIE was ok but Attach To Process did not load project’s PDBs at all.

• removed intermediate, saved, binaries, …
  • removed GameplayDebugger and some other plugins from .uproject and .Build.cs
  • removed recently installed Rust compiler toolchain
  • restarted my PC and waited a little to cooldown
    finally worked but I don’t know how.
1 Like

my solution to this was outlined in this post: Increase the Number of Modules Loaded When Attaching the Debugger

1 Like

just FYI, you don’t normally need to run the editor in Debug mode. It will slow to a crawl. Maybe useful if you are deep in the engine debugging stuff, but normally Development Editor is plenty for daily use. If you want to exclude a particular file from optimization so you can set breakpoints anywhere, wrap the cpp file with #pragma optimize like so:

#pragma optimize(“”, off)

include “AMyActor.Generated.h”

AMyActor::AMyActor(){}

#pragma optimize(“”, on)