VR Game Template

a9MSgofBU9Y

I’ve been looking forward to the DK2 update, thank you and great job! You should definitely post update to /r/oculus

How did you eliminate judder? I loaded the OR Plugin with the default FPS template and had problems with judder even with realtime disabled in the editor viewport.

[=Jjjohn;130625]
I’ve been looking forward to the DK2 update, thank you and great job! You should definitely post update to /r/oculus

How did you eliminate judder? I loaded the OR Plugin with the default FPS template and had problems with judder even with realtime disabled in the editor viewport.
[/]

Disabling real time is always a good place to start, I generally run at a screen percentage value of 100 but what I’ve also found ( I’ll need to do some more testing before I call it a bug) is that changing the effects quality with ‘sg.EffectsQuality’ to 2 while rendering stereo seems to eliminate judder for me, which is weird because I have it set to 0 and there is judder but upping it to 2 seems to allow me to hit 75fps and above

[=;130706]
Disabling real time is always a good place to start, I generally run at a screen percentage value of 100 but what I’ve also found ( I’ll need to do some more testing before I call it a bug) is that changing the effects quality with ‘sg.EffectsQuality’ to 2 while rendering stereo seems to eliminate judder for me, which is weird because I have it set to 0 and there is judder but upping it to 2 seems to allow me to hit 75fps and above
[/]

Interesting… hopefully things are tweaked in future UE4 updates to clear up judder issues

Is it possible to integrate parts of template into another existing project? I started a VR project last month using the built-in First Person Template, but I would like to get some of the features from your template implemented into my game without having to start all over.

How difficult would be?

[=pvalencia;130875]
Is it possible to integrate parts of template into another existing project? I started a VR project last month using the built-in First Person Template, but I would like to get some of the features from your template implemented into my game without having to start all over.

How difficult would be?
[/]

Hmm it really depends on what features, I tried my best to make as much things as modular as possible but I think of the template less like use in your game and more like is one way of achieving a certain thing for VR use the same technique and change it to suit your needs

Thanks a million for your fantastic work here. I’m just getting into Unreal development, and has helped me a ton. Would be so kind as to maybe suggest an ordered list of which parts of your template to learn 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.? Maybe there is some sort of workflow to it that I’m not aware of? For example, 1. Start by becoming familiar with the ExplorationCharacter, 2. Variables x,y, and z created in the ExplorationCharacter lead to VRPlayerController, so get acquainted with those parts, then 3. etc…

has been an invaluable resource getting up to speed in both VR and UE4 development. Thanks very much for all the work you’ve put in.

Right now I’m trying to figure out how you’ve put the ContextMenu together. One thing that’s got me puzzled has to do with the visibility of each scene component, which you seem to use to group related components together. Looking at the ContextMenu’s components in the Blueprint editor, only the MainNavigation scene component and its children are visible, yet all the other scene components have their default visibility set to true.

I see your “Open{SettingsGroup}Settings” functions, so I get how the visibility is changed dynamically. I just don’t see how you make visibility changes in the Blueprint->Components editor, and therefore I don’t get how you actually designed or laid out your sub menus. Could you clue me in?

nm. I see SetUPMenu getting called in the Construction Script, and I can manually set visibility of each group there.

[=;129888]
Alright two new videos
https://.com/watch?v=
[/]

is awesome! Exactly how I envisioned it working. So rad.

I’m going to try and get the Hydra controlling the hands in this, as soon as my DK2 arrives (should be soon :D! June 19th, and orders up through June 23rd are changing status today for the EU).

I think someone asked earlier, but is there a particular way to migrate the blueprints to another project? I’ve copied over all the blueprints but the menu doesn’t work- in the VRPlayerController there are a number of unknown actions being referenced, e.g. OpenMenu… what am I missing?

Also, I tried to attach a spotlight to the player’s head, like a headlamp, but it moves with the body direction rather than the line of sight, same if I attach it to the camera. If I add a socket to the head, and add the spotlight to that it seems to disappear. Any ideas how to make it work?

[=integration;132396]
I think someone asked earlier, but is there a particular way to migrate the blueprints to another project? I’ve copied over all the blueprints but the menu doesn’t work- in the VRPlayerController there are a number of unknown actions being referenced, e.g. OpenMenu… what am I missing?

Also, I tried to attach a spotlight to the player’s head, like a headlamp, but it moves with the body direction rather than the line of sight, same if I attach it to the camera. If I add a socket to the head, and add the spotlight to that it seems to disappear. Any ideas how to make it work?
[/]

Don’t forget to export (from VR Template) then import (your project) the input mappings.

[=jeffym85;131485]
Thanks a million for your fantastic work here. I’m just getting into Unreal development, and has helped me a ton. Would be so kind as to maybe suggest an ordered list of which parts of your template to learn 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.? Maybe there is some sort of workflow to it that I’m not aware of? For example, 1. Start by becoming familiar with the ExplorationCharacter, 2. Variables x,y, and z created in the ExplorationCharacter lead to VRPlayerController, so get acquainted with those parts, then 3. etc…
[/]

For any new developer I would suggest Epic’s own templates first, then after that you can jump into mine as It starts to get a little more complex. It’s hard to say which part to learn because It kind of depends, personally I see these templates as more of an example content package where you can come into it with I want to learn one way of doing X and then see a working example and then use that to implement it into your own projects. Rather than I should learn how everything in the template is done so I know how one way to do VR in UE. Although saying that most of the logic related to the rift is in the VRPlayerController so I would have a look at that.

[=integration;132396]

[/]

Are you using the migrate tool(by right clicking and migrating) or are you copy/pasting the .uasset’s? and on the head lamp I suggest finding the camera managers forward vector and rotating the headlamp to that, an example of that would be in the animation blueprint of the explorationCharacter where I do to set the pitch and yaw values.

[=jejunus;132330]

nm. I see SetUPMenu getting called in the Construction Script, and I can manually set visibility of each group there.
[/]

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to confuse you there, the only reason I put that in was so the display picture in the content browser and when it was oppened it looked nice, just a little bit of OCD I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your work man! Currently using your template as a base for testing.

Maybe it’s just me, but what I noticed in the 0.4 update, is that the player doesn’t cast shadows. Settings for the lights and the character seem to be fine.
Interestingly enough is that it does not cast any shadows in normal playing mode. With the rift on, it does cast shadows in the mirror and very blurred low res ones on the ground. But only in VR mode.

[=;133029]
Are you using the migrate tool(by right clicking and migrating) or are you copy/pasting the .uasset’s? and on the head lamp I suggest finding the camera managers forward vector and rotating the headlamp to that, an example of that would be in the animation blueprint of the explorationCharacter where I do to set the pitch and yaw values.
[/]

I think I imported the controls .ini wrong, I just tried again and everything works fine. Thanks!

Will look into the flashlight again, not sure if is related but when I open the components of the exploration character to attach it, the player model is bent over double and twitching like something out of Silent Hill, is that normal…? I’m guessing not.

[=integration;133305]
I think I imported the controls .ini wrong, I just tried again and everything works fine. Thanks!

Will look into the flashlight again, not sure if is related but when I open the components of the exploration character to attach it, the player model is bent over double and twitching like something out of Silent Hill, is that normal…? I’m guessing not.
[/]

Yeah that is normal, it’s actually because of the body IK, which is reset to 0,0,0 when loading it into the character so it tries to put his head through the ground and kind of deforms the body in doing so, if anyone knows the best way to fix that I’m all ears.

[=kklors;133190]
Thanks for your work man! Currently using your template as a base for testing.

Maybe it’s just me, but what I noticed in the 0.4 update, is that the player doesn’t cast shadows. Settings for the lights and the character seem to be fine.
Interestingly enough is that it does not cast any shadows in normal playing mode. With the rift on, it does cast shadows in the mirror and very blurred low res ones on the ground. But only in VR mode.
[/]

Yeah that is due to the defaults I have set up, which included shadowQuality at 0 feel free to change in the VRPlayerController. And the reason it is viewable in the rift is because as it turns out UE resets the scalability settings when entering stereo which explains most peoples performance problems

That’s weird, but I understand. Thanks a lot for the explanation.

is really so awesome. Thanks for your work.

I can’t wait for more support and SDK updates so we can get HMD mode working too