VR Game Template

[=;107650]
Hey , do you have your DK2 yet to update this?
[/]

Nope not yet, I did however get the shipping notification morning, so hopefully some time week

[=;107667]
Nope not yet, I did however get the shipping notification morning, so hopefully some time week
[/]

Any plans to set up IK for the player so that it IKs to the neck/head properly?

[=;107671]
Any plans to set up IK for the player so that it IKs to the neck/head properly?
[/]

Yep, I might wait until UE is updated to support the 0.4 sdk before releasing it though

[=;107804]
Yep, I might wait until UE is updated to support the 0.4 sdk before releasing it though
[/]

Probably not a bad idea, assuming it will get support soonish (which seems likely).

I don’t know how you’d feel about adding examples for Hydra support, but I think I finally figured out a nice approach for getting the Hydra positions set up so they act as effector targets for the character’s hands. I haven’t actually tested the method yet (I tried an earlier way of doing it but it wasn’t quite right) but it seems logically/mathematically sound.

Once I get it tested and worked out I’ll post about it and if you’re down to have an example in the VR Template I’ll put up a pull request.

Any for a VR Template based on the Couch Knights Demo?

VR Camera on a fixed Place and a free running Character controlled over Keyboard/Gamepad.

I’m too much a Beginner to extract out of the Couch Knights Demo.

[=;110961]
Any for a VR Template based on the Couch Knights Demo?

VR Camera on a fixed Place and a free running Character controlled over Keyboard/Gamepad.

I’m too much a Beginner to extract out of the Couch Knights Demo.
[/]

Sure, I’m currently working on a driving template but after that I’m happy to try and throw one together. And yeah I agree some of the couch knights logic is a bit messy so it can be a little hard to understand

[=;107808]
Probably not a bad idea, assuming it will get support soonish (which seems likely).

I don’t know how you’d feel about adding examples for Hydra support, but I think I finally figured out a nice approach for getting the Hydra positions set up so they act as effector targets for the character’s hands. I haven’t actually tested the method yet (I tried an earlier way of doing it but it wasn’t quite right) but it seems logically/mathematically sound.

Once I get it tested and worked out I’ll post about it and if you’re down to have an example in the VR Template I’ll put up a pull request.
[/]

Yeah, we’ve got our smart guys looking into the 0.4.0 issue as we speak :slight_smile: stay tuned!

[=;90621]
Hey I just added the first version of the space shooter template, check the post for more details but here is the video.

https://.com/watch?v=9Ks2LIDFMbY
[/]

Not had to read through all the posts yet, but first off, well done, superb setup etc =]

Give us lot a head start! =P

Secondly, on the spacesim, if you hold any of the direction keys, the camera seems to orbit around a central position adjusting the camera location, unless ive accidentally clicked something in the package? (UE 4.3, DK2, SDK 0.4)

Cheers

Dodge

[=;111258]
Sure, I’m currently working on a driving template but after that I’m happy to try and throw one together. And yeah I agree some of the couch knights logic is a bit messy so it can be a little hard to understand
[/]

That would be great. :slight_smile:

I like how Couch Knights work and can see here some interesting Things for Games.

[=Dodge;112421]
Not had to read through all the posts yet, but first off, well done, superb setup etc =]

Give us lot a head start! =P

Secondly, on the spacesim, if you hold any of the direction keys, the camera seems to orbit around a central position adjusting the camera location, unless ive accidentally clicked something in the package? (UE 4.3, DK2, SDK 0.4)

Cheers

Dodge
[/]

Yeah that’s a problem with 4.3 conflicting with sdk 0.4, I also haven’t updated the templates to 4.3 yet just because of issues like these, I think the best bet is to wait until oculus update the sdk so then unreal can integrate an sdk that isn’t broken in a lot of ways.

Hey , I finally got my DK2 and got a to check out your template with it. Here is my feedback for a future build once Oculus updates the SDK! Starting out, the first minor suggestion I would have is to leave the default anti-aliasing setting on the template set to 0, as it looks pretty bad with anything higher (very blurry and kills the stereo some). It is much more comfortable to increase the screen percentage a bit for the added clarity on DK2 instead.

Now on with the movement options, on the DK2 I find turning all the settings to off under the movement mode screen to be the best and most comfortable for a sitting experience for me personally. I love all of the options here though and really wish Unity’s OVRplayercontroller had all of stuff by default! I love how you can look around while moving forward, look at your feet, and it doesn’t turn your character. I didn’t seem to drift at all either thanks to the DK2 camera, and turning with the mouse/controller felt very natural. The only issues I had was the orientation was a bit off upon first starting the template, the character model was about a foot to the right of me and there was no reoriention/recentering button mapped to the controller. A button like that, or some sort of auto-reoriention using the DK2 camera might be worth exploring. Perhaps a toggle in the menu with an option for “tapping the rift” to reorientate?

In addition, I would recommend adding a torso model similar to couch knights, for the leaning/clipping issues that have arisen from the positional tracking being added. I hope all of feedback is somewhat useful! Thank you :slight_smile:

Edit: A small subtle thing I just noticed was the head shadow didn’t seem super responsive to my head movement. It seems like there’s quite a bit of a delay before it starts moving, and doesn’t tilt as far as my real head tilts. I’ve always found shadows that do that in VR to be very immersive and I have no idea why. And also, a red crosshair appears when standing close to 3D models in my project which is distracting. Sorry to overload you with all of these things at once, I get really excited about all of and just start writing!

Hi ,

I just want to say that I have followed your work for some time now and being a novice UE4 developer I have really found your efforts have helped me to kickstart my project(s) further than I would have imagined. So a huge thank you and looking forward to a DK2 update. You’re the sort of person every novice (and even intermediate) developer appreciates.

Cheers.

Ok first off, thanks so much for doing and sharing it with the community!

Secondly, let me apologize for being “that newbie fool”, but I don’t know what i’m missing here. I’m very new to UE4 and still learning the basics, but I can’t get working. I downloaded and installed it as specified. Started a new project and chose the First Person Rift template. I see the blueprints like they should be in there, so i’m pretty sure I did everything right up until point.

However when I run the game, i’m not getting an expected stereo rift render. I’m seeing a normal mono game render. What do I need to do to “activate” the Rift stuff?

Ok so I got it working by using the console and doing:
stereo on
hmd enable

But not sure how to do that automatically if the player has a Rift connected?

[=;115054]
Ok so I got it working by using the console and doing:
stereo on
hmd enable

But not sure how to do that automatically if the player has a Rift connected?
[/]

I’m not sure if there is any way to have it run stereo automatically with it running in windowed mode, however when you go full screen (with ‘alt’ + ‘enter’) it will automatically change to stereo rendering if you have a rift plugged in. is good because when you compile your game you can set it up to automatically go into full screen or when the user does it, it is remembered for the next time it is opened

Super useful. Thanks a ton !

[=FratKabula;116138]
Super useful. Thanks a ton !
[/]

For additional framerate I would also recommend closing the editor completely and just right clicking the .uproject file for the template, then choosing “launch game”. After that press Alt + Enter. Should notice a huge increase in performance. (You could also just compile a package, but that has been hit or miss with me with a bug in 4.3/4.4)

Is there any update about VR Template for DK2 (maybe a version 0.4?)

[=;118525]
Is there any update about VR Template for DK2 (maybe a version 0.4?)
[/]

I’m working on it right now actually, I’m hesitant about releasing anything until the OVR Sdk 0.4.1 is integrated into the branch which is looking most likely to be in UE 4.4.1

Understood, I was actually wondering about that. Does mean it is best to stay with the previous version for each release when both SDK and UE4 version are available, otherwise you will have one without the other. But anyway, really looking forward to your next release.

Oh yeah, one thing I noticed with the characternoheadbob was that when you run and look down you can see your body in front of you, is just because I’m not looking through the rift? (as I don’t have mine yet).