VR Game Template

[=;86850]
Really Nice work, I really hope either epic works with you and helps release it as a default template, or at the very least work to get it on the market. Its unfortunate there is so much misconception about bad performance because most of the designer/developers are using GTX 780/Titan (at work).
Something like is a no muss, no fuss, solution for beginners. With easy scaling control panel that tells you a majority of the “critical” settings plus you get instant feedback on how they effect performance and quality.

I hope most if not all (public) VR demos/games include a settings panel like this (in game, instant feedback) , no messy configs or command lines.

Great work man :slight_smile:
[/]

+1 on suggestion :slight_smile:

Further more you have done a great job!

Cannot wait to see more!

template is Awesome!! Thanks so much!

One question I have - the red crosshair, in the videos it seems like it’s there sometimes but not others? I hear the best way to do a VR crosshair is to render it at the depth of whatever is behind it, I’d love to see and example of how to do that, and how to trace through it if anyone knows, or if you have time. Thank you again!

[=BarrettMeeker;87918]
template is Awesome!! Thanks so much!

One question I have - the red crosshair, in the videos it seems like it’s there sometimes but not others? I hear the best way to do a VR crosshair is to render it at the depth of whatever is behind it, I’d love to see and example of how to do that, and how to trace through it if anyone knows, or if you have time. Thank you again!
[/]

Thanks.
Hmm, the crosshair is using a billboad so it always faces you but it is being rendered on/at the object you are looking at, means though if you’re looking at something far away it is being rendered far away which means it is still there you just cant see it because it is so small. As for tracing all the traces that are currently in the template(Highlighting and such) they use the same trace that is used to get the crosshairs location so they are actually where the crosshair is, means you should already be able to trace through it, I can break it down further if you’d like.

[=Alvaro Vazquez;87492]
Hi !
You have made a fantastic job. Thank you so much on that.
As a suggestion it would be really nice to have a Cockpit type template, and the ability to animate that pawn through matinee for cinematics.
Cheers!
[/]

good idea I haven’t played enough cockpit style games to do it 100% justice but I can definitely try and put one together with some of the base mechanics, would you want to see mechanics similar to Eve Valkyrie i.e. head based locking on of enemies? as for cinematics I’m not sure I fully understand what you mean possibly an example? Thanks.

[=;87937]
good idea I haven’t played enough cockpit style games to do it 100% justice but I can definitely try and put one together with some of the base mechanics, would you want to see mechanics similar to Eve Valkyrie i.e. head based locking on of enemies? as for cinematics I’m not sure I fully understand what you mean possibly an example? Thanks.
[/]

Hi!
Yes! i didn’t know about Eve Valkyrie, that cockpit with that kind of mechanics looks awesome.
As for cinematics, for instance is to take control of the cockpit when you reach to a certain point of the level, and go through a guided journey.
Thanks! you have made a fantastic contribution.

Awesome, so it sounds like if I can just figure out a way to code the billboard to scale based on distance to keep it’s relative size I can get a crosshair that is at the correct depth but always looks the same size? I can probably figure out. Thanks again!

Just popped by to say great work , I’m looking forward to intergrating some of into my own project (especially the graphics options panel).
I agree with some other comments that having a basic cockpit template would be awsome as I think a lot of people would benifit from greatly considering the amount of on rail sim styled rift games out there although I believe that the 4.3 update will ship with a better camera attachment option that allows a HMD camrea to be attached to player controller without head rotation effecting player rotation but I might be wrong.

Subscribed :slight_smile:

Hi , and thanks a lot for template, great job! I only have 1 question, when i try to play in standalone or in any way from the editor, i get terrible framerate, however, if i package the game and play from the packaged exe, i get perfectly smooth framerate, no drops at all. So what would be the explanation for this, and is there a way to fix so i can get decent framerate when testing in the editor?

[=;90126]
Hi , and thanks a lot for template, great job! I only have 1 question, when i try to play in standalone or in any way from the editor, i get terrible framerate, however, if i package the game and play from the packaged exe, i get perfectly smooth framerate, no drops at all. So what would be the explanation for this, and is there a way to fix so i can get decent framerate when testing in the editor?
[/]

the way I understand it is UE4 does a lot of optimisations when packaging a game (is why it takes a lot longer to package a game compared to just playing in editor) you also have to keep in mind when you are playing as a standalone from the editor UE is still running in the background which takes up a fair bit of resources causing lower frame rates. I’m not sure there is any way to fix these as I’m pretty sure it is just a trade off between allowing you to jump into the game quickly when debugging and the time it takes to optimise a build. you could also turn down the editor quality settings if it is unbearable.

[=;90206]
the way I understand it is UE4 does a lot of optimisations when packaging a game (is why it takes a lot longer to package a game compared to just playing in editor) you also have to keep in mind when you are playing as a standalone from the editor UE is still running in the background which takes up a fair bit of resources causing lower frame rates. I’m not sure there is any way to fix these as I’m pretty sure it is just a trade off between allowing you to jump into the game quickly when debugging and the time it takes to optimise a build. you could also turn down the editor quality settings if it is unbearable.
[/]

Ahhh i see, i mostly wanted to be sure that it was normal, and you cleared that for me, thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m really glad that you made template, will allow me to create a little VR demo without too much pain, i will post it here once its done, ETA about 1 month.

thanks mate :smiley:

Hey I just added the first version of the space shooter template, check the post for more details but here is the video.

Woah, seems fantastic, I really need to try it.
Thanks for all that!

Wow! Hahaha, thats badass, i’m gonna try it sometime today.

One quick suggestion i would have from the video, the view-based lock-on is indeed a sweet idea, but i think you should add a different option, for example with a target lock system and the missile lock would activate on top of that but only if your “ship’s crosshair” remain close to the target long enough. Basically like what Star Citizen did with their Vanduul Swarm mini-game. The reason i’m suggesting is to keep your freedom of vision during gameplay, maybe the player need to look to his left while trying to get a lock-on some enemy, its just more freedom of control basically and its probably also more “realistic/immersive”. That might not have been so clear, sorry english is not my language.

How can I integrate the blueprints in my current project without having to start a new project with the VR template?. I’m a total noob and I succesfully used some of the blueprints but I get some errors, for example, I can use the blueprint for my character (I’m using the one without head bobbing), I get all the body mesh animations when moving, however I can’t activate the tank style/decoupled movement(doesn’t work). I would also like to use the menu blueprint but is totally broken if I use it in my project without any modification…, any tips on what could I do, what’s missing if you just copy the blueprints to the projects, what is conflicting? my project so far is basically using a first person shooter template without modifications. Thank you for sharing your work.

VR Game Template on ?

Hi ,

Once again, let me tell you how much I like what you have done, and how well you have answered feature requests and questions on forum thread! So nice you shared with us all!

Can I suggest you to open up the development of to you account? It would be a great way to get more direct feedback from the community!
You would still retain control and copyright to you project, but it would be far more effective to follow you, to ask for features and to provide some bug fix or even improvements.
It would also be a better way to make releases.

And is already hosting a handfull of UE4 plugins and projects, that is forming a nice open source community.
See for instance the nice VaOcean Plugin (see its repo)!

What do you think?

+1 for the repo idea.

[=charlie177;91122]
How can I integrate the blueprints in my current project without having to start a new project with the VR template?. I’m a total noob and I succesfully used some of the blueprints but I get some errors, for example, I can use the blueprint for my character (I’m using the one without head bobbing), I get all the body mesh animations when moving, however I can’t activate the tank style/decoupled movement(doesn’t work). I would also like to use the menu blueprint but is totally broken if I use it in my project without any modification…, any tips on what could I do, what’s missing if you just copy the blueprints to the projects, what is conflicting? my project so far is basically using a first person shooter template without modifications
[/]

If I’m reading correctly you’ve used the Pawn and Menu, what you really need though is the PlayerController, basically in the template the player controller contains all the logic for the different movement mechanics as well as all the interactions (including the menu), the reason is in the player controller and not the pawn is because one player controller can control many pawns which means that if you we’re to use your own pawn but the VRplayercontroller you could still have all the movement functionality without having to copy and paste anything :slight_smile: so basically you want the VRPlayerController.

[=;91494]

Can I suggest you to open up the development of to you account? It would be a great way to get more direct feedback from the community!

[/]

Ok sure. I haven’t started a Repo on before and looking at the VaOcean Plugin they have a licence and everything(which I know absolutely nothing about) but in saying that how hard could it be? I’ll definitely try to set one up as soon as possible. Any help on the matter of a licence and everything would really appreciated.

[=;91568]
Ok sure. I haven’t started a Repo on before and looking at the VaOcean Plugin they have a licence and everything(which I know absolutely nothing about) but in saying that how hard could it be? I’ll definitely try to set one up as soon as possible. Any help on the matter of a licence and everything would really appreciated.
[/]

It’s really easy!

First, I suggest just using for Windows to start off, as it’s quite simple compared to some of the other Git clients.

You’ll basically just want to go, create a new repo on your account on , click the Clone in Windows button (after you have for Windows installed), then paste your VR template files into the folder that was created when you cloned the repo.

When you go back into for Windows after pasting the files, it will detect them as added. Type a commit message, press Commit, then press the Sync button in the upper right to push the local commits to your repo.

And that’s it!

Edit: is all assuming you’re using Windows. If not, there are other Git clients, but the process is otherwise the same (except you copy the Clone URL instead of clicking the button for cloing in for Win.)