VR Game Template

[=Spittygood;84200]
is awesome!! Thank you for working on this. Looking forward to an update for dev kit 2 as I don’t have a rift yet but will in July :). If you don’t mind what are your PC specs? Looks like you are getting 60 FPS at a decent resolution.
[/]

can’t get here quicker :smiley:
Specs-
CPU-i7-4770k
GPU-GTX-770

Anyone having issues changing the locomotion? Tried changing from the default and seems to have no effect.
Also when I hit simulate it produces errors: Error Accessed None ‘HighlightedObject’ from node Set CurrentSP in blueprint VRPlayerController

thanks for sharing! look great, i will check that work later.

Very awesome, thanks for sharing with !

is awesome! planning to get a devkit soon. I will definitely find useful when the time comes :slight_smile:

@, so I hadn’t had a to look at the video of the locomotion types you did until today. Great overview.

I think I like the lerp rotate of the body with the tank mode when stationary the best of all. I think that will work perfectly for my game especially in cases where you’re using motion controls and not the mouse/keyboard or a gamepad at all.

Anyone have any requests? I’d be happy to implement something and share it back, I don’t want to just keep posting stuff I want :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone having issues changing the locomotion? Tried changing from the default and seems to have no effect.
Also when I hit simulate it produces errors: Error Accessed None ‘HighlightedObject’ from node Set CurrentSP in blueprint VRPlayerController
[/]

Hmm are you trying the different locomotion modes in stereo? or just on a monitor, because it should only change for the rift, As for the error it’s not game breaking, but i’ll definitely try to fix it.

[=;85025]
Hmm are you trying the different locomotion modes in stereo? or just on a monitor, because it should only change for the rift, As for the error it’s not game breaking, but i’ll definitely try to fix it.
[/]

Thanks for the reply, but my issue was me being a newb at Unreal. Despite you mentioning it in the video, I didn’t realize I had to swap out the pawn class in order for it to work. Anyway, thanks for the template! I’m learning a lot from it. I didn’t know about comfort mode before your implementation… really surprising how much it seems to cut down on sim-sickness!

Great work , thank you so much!

Thank you! …now all I need is a DK2 :smiley:

Great work . linking the head movement to the rift was the one thing I hadn’t done yet so thanks for the example. What software do you use to record your videos? I seem to not be able to record full screen video when the rift is on.

[=Mrob76u;85541]
Great work . linking the head movement to the rift was the one thing I hadn’t done yet so thanks for the example. What software do you use to record your videos? I seem to not be able to record full screen video when the rift is on.
[/]

Thanks, I use OBS https://obsproject.com/ for the video capture, full screen is a bit of a pain. You can use the game mode feature in OBS to get full screen or just because it is easier you can do it windowed with the command ‘stereo on’ (I have mapped to shift-r)

Added V0.3 here are some video’s showing some of the additions

Context Menu

jTKtsmJiXes

Time Based Interaction

ORjpgsJMyXc

The new update looks awesome.

The timed material change in particular is interesting to me, as I had planned to do something like what they showed off in one of the material demos where they had like water, wood and metal, and shot flames or water at it to melt/burn/heat it (respectively) and add more ice to it or quench the wood or metal. I want that sort of thing to be part of the gameplay for the dungeon crawler survival, so you can e.g., heat up a dagger to cauterize a wound.

I’m going to take a look at and figure out how to adapt it to my needs, and I’ll go ahead and post it all back here when I’m done (separate thread since it’s not very specific to VR).

Edit: If anyone knows where there’s an example already set up of that sort of thing with the metal and wood (or even the demo they had a video of) that would also be really helpful.

Well I feel like an idiot.

I just went in and made a new project with the 0.3 template, and tried to set it up to use the lerp-pawn-to-camera mode with the tank mode while stationary, and it doesn’t really do anything. It just does what you’d expect for a regular Third Person template with the camera parented to the head, and Use Controller Rotation Yaw set to true (so the body just always follows).

I went in and changed the variables and set it all up as in the video, but no luck. I tried turning off Use Controller Rotation Yaw and it just makes it so you can look 360 degrees. The pawn won’t rotate in that instance at all, even when moving and looking a full 90 degrees to the right or left.

Edit: I should note I’m not testing it with a Rift, just in normal mode.

[=;85864]
Well I feel like an idiot.

I just went in and made a new project with the 0.3 template, and tried to set it up to use the lerp-pawn-to-camera mode with the tank mode while stationary, and it doesn’t really do anything. It just does what you’d expect for a regular Third Person template with the camera parented to the head, and Use Controller Rotation Yaw set to true (so the body just always follows).

I went in and changed the variables and set it all up as in the video, but no luck. I tried turning off Use Controller Rotation Yaw and it just makes it so you can look 360 degrees. The pawn won’t rotate in that instance at all, even when moving and looking a full 90 degrees to the right or left.

Edit: I should note I’m not testing it with a Rift, just in normal mode.
[/]

At the moment those different movement mechanics only work with the rift, However lets fix this :slight_smile:

first open VRPlayerController-event graph-go to the Rotate Towards HMD section and delete the ‘and’ node then reconnect the ‘DoesRotateTowardsHMDOrientation’ bool, It should look like this

now open up ‘MyCharacterExplorationNoHeadBob’ And turn the ‘OnlyTurnHMD’ bool on
keep in mind though I haven’t tested with some of the other functionality so it may not work 100% of the time :slight_smile:

[=;85936]
At the moment those different movement mechanics only work with the rift, However lets fix this :slight_smile:

first open VRPlayerController-event graph-go to the Rotate Towards HMD section and delete the ‘and’ node then reconnect the ‘DoesRotateTowardsHMDOrientation’ bool, It should look like this

now open up ‘MyCharacterExplorationNoHeadBob’ And turn the ‘OnlyTurnHMD’ bool on
keep in mind though I haven’t tested with some of the other functionality so it may not work 100% of the time :slight_smile:
[/]

Ahh right, okay, figured that might be it. Thanks!

Really Nice work, I really hope either epic works with you and helps release it as a default template, or at the very least work to get it on the market. Its unfortunate there is so much misconception about bad performance because most of the designer/developers are using GTX 780/Titan (at work).
Something like is a no muss, no fuss, solution for beginners. With easy scaling control panel that tells you a majority of the “critical” settings plus you get instant feedback on how they effect performance and quality.

I hope most if not all (public) VR demos/games include a settings panel like this (in game, instant feedback) , no messy configs or command lines.

Great work man :slight_smile:

Hi !
You have made a fantastic job. Thank you so much on that.
As a suggestion it would be really nice to have a Cockpit type template, and the ability to animate that pawn through matinee for cinematics.
Cheers!