VR Game Template

Hi,
thanks for creating template. It is great.
I have one question regarding the viewing direction and head rotation of the character. If I turn the character in a different direction than the starting position it seems that the head still tries to look in the direction of the starting position even though the HMD is in neutral position.

I´ve illustrated with a couple of images.

1. In the first image we have the starting position. Everything works fine.
  2. In the second image I rotated the Mirror and Camera it is using and simply rotated the character 90 degrees. The HMD is reset with (shift + r) and it is looking straigt ahead. But still the Character in the Mirror is looking to the left.
  3. In the third image I rotated the Mirror another 90 degrees. The character is also looking to the left.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the IK? It seems to me that the IK is allways targeting some far away goal on the world x-axis or something like that. How would I fix that?

[=Gigantoad;177662]
I thought we’re long past moving where we’re looking. It really makes no sense unless your whole body turns. So either standing or swiveling on a chair. But walking forward (so your fingers are kinda the legs) and then walking wherever your head is looking is all kinds of wrong. Not to mention it’s impossible to turn your head 360° degrees so you will always need an additional way to to turn anyway.

Do you have a link to where Oculus said such a thing?
[/]

Did you ever stop to think that among the thousands of VR users, not all of them have reached a consensus on subject? You’re entitled to your opinion but there’s no need to act like it’s the only valid one.

[=;177824]
Just thought I’d chime in on conversation, you should be able to go into the movement options in the in game menu and deselect rotate towards HMD orientation to get the view back to how you like it
[/]

Awesome thanks!

[=Lumpengnom;178147]
Hi,
thanks for creating template. It is great.
I have one question regarding the viewing direction and head rotation of the character. If I turn the character in a different direction than the starting position it seems that the head still tries to look in the direction of the starting position even though the HMD is in neutral position.

I´ve illustrated with a couple of images.

1. In the first image we have the starting position. Everything works fine.
  2. In the second image I rotated the Mirror and Camera it is using and simply rotated the character 90 degrees. The HMD is reset with (shift + r) and it is looking straigt ahead. But still the Character in the Mirror is looking to the left.
  3. In the third image I rotated the Mirror another 90 degrees. The character is also looking to the left.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the IK? It seems to me that the IK is allways targeting some far away goal on the world x-axis or something like that. How would I fix that?
[/]

I’ve the same question …

problem to migrate the blueprints

Hi,

Thanks for nice template!

It’s working well when I start a project with the template but If I want to migrate the blueprints to an old project, the windows gets when I launch the level (standalone game).

If I migrate the blueprints to a blank project, I ve got the same problem.

I’m still a newbie with blueprints, what did I miss?

Thanks for your help!

[=Oneiros86;179278]
Did you ever stop to think that among the thousands of VR users, not all of them have reached a consensus on subject? You’re entitled to your opinion but there’s no need to act like it’s the only valid one.

[/]

But it is though, isn’t it? Or does anyone think that crossing a street while looking to the car that’s approaching on the left should result in walking towards the car? Some people may have gotten used to because early demos used method as it was the most easy to implement. But that doesn’t make it right. Not to mention the vection resulting from moving in the direction of the head while the body still faces forward. I realize people react differently to VR but I’d be damned if the the majority of people don’t get sick by this.

If you put in as an option it’s fine I guess. Just please don’t promote as the default or desired move mode. needs to vanish as quickly as possible.

Hey man, thanks for making this!

I’m having a bit of trouble, however - when I run the demo (before I alt-enter to go to Rift mode), I’m getting 150+ FPS, however upon entering rift-mode, FPS goes to literally less than 1, and it becomes totally unusable… Am I missing something? Tried with both Direct and Extended mode, running the latest Runtime.

Thanks for any help!

Ok, follow-up, I figured out the problem. I guess the latest version must have had some tweaked settings, as screen percentage was set to something like 300. I changed it down to 100 and the thing runs at easily acceptable FPS.

Hope helps anyone who might run into issue! Might want to get it changed for the next release haha.

Sorry if has already been answered but I don’t have a DK2 to test with. Does template allow for positional tracking where it will move the body mesh at the waist like you would in real life if looking around a corner for example or does it just move the camera with the positional tracking?

Hi , the template is great! I like the rotate towards HMD orientation feature, when I’m walking, it feels so nature.

I have one question, can I make the body to turn immediately to the direction I’m looking, while in Tank mode?
When Tank mode is deactivated, the body will strafe to HMD direction, with a delay. And it will also drag the camera with it, which make players feel drifting in VR.
Tank mode is good, but if I turn 180 degree on my chair, it feels strange, that I see my back.

[=GoroUnreal;182848]
Sorry if has already been answered but I don’t have a DK2 to test with. Does template allow for positional tracking where it will move the body mesh at the waist like you would in real life if looking around a corner for example or does it just move the camera with the positional tracking?
[/]

In template, it moves the chest and waist, which is great :slight_smile:

Hello
I want to say thank you for the great template. Really saves a lot of time getting into locomotion in VR. being said - i would love it if it could be taken a step forward. Has anyone tried a new small experience from the game dev Filipp Keks called EvilMech Runner?
https://share.oculus.com/app/evilmech-runner
It a small game that introduces locomotion through head tracking thus enabling the user to walk or run in place and having the VR character do the same.
I would be totally grateful if someone had any idea how to implement that locomotion method to UE4 VR, or better yet - if it could be implemented into the VR template.
It really really ads to the sense of immersion, and also helps very much with motion sickness.

First off thanks for awesome template, Im having an issue On version 4.5.1 and 4.6 for some reason I can’t get the cross hair to appear on screen (tested with oculus and still no crosshair)?

I dont know if is supposed to be here or not, but there is a low opacity overlay of concentric circles on my viewport, ingame mode or not. Tested on both 4.5.1 and 4.6 is there a way to change this?

Thanks a lot for putting together! Do you have any tips for the modular skeletal mesh? I am using the bisect tool in Blender to cut off my toon at the neck and exporting 2 meshes (head and body), each with all bones. It seemed to work fine for my head but the body isn’t importing correctly. When I apply the body to the character BP, both head and body become invisible.

[=ArieCrow;186580]
Hello
I want to say thank you for the great template. Really saves a lot of time getting into locomotion in VR. being said - i would love it if it could be taken a step forward. Has anyone tried a new small experience from the game dev Filipp Keks called EvilMech Runner?
https://share.oculus.com/app/evilmech-runner
It a small game that introduces locomotion through head tracking thus enabling the user to walk or run in place and having the VR character do the same.
I would be totally grateful if someone had any idea how to implement that locomotion method to UE4 VR, or better yet - if it could be implemented into the VR template.
It really really ads to the sense of immersion, and also helps very much with motion sickness.
[/]

Hello, is actually really simple to achieve (and I had seen it attempted back with the DK1 and the Hydra) anyway I haven’t integrated it into the template (although I might soon) but if you want a working example here’s a project I threw together it’s bare bones but has everything working just like EvilMech Runner

Hey guys just a quick update https://.com//UE4FirstPersonVRTemplate/releases/tag/V0.4.5
0.4.5 has a couple of fixes, there is no longer a Blackout when entering trigger volumes and I also fixed issues with the player head rotation being offset 90 degrees

Hello!

My friends and I are using your template for our student project and it work without any problem! thanks you a lot! but i have a question, is it possible to use your template without an occulus rift? the one we use is our school’s one and only got access one per two weeks. We try but nothing work when we launch the game (it work with the occulus) is it normal or there is a problem with our project? we try using stereo on and fullscreen in a standalone.

By the way, nice work with the template!

[=;188711]
Hello!

My friends and I are using your template for our student project and it work without any problem! thanks you a lot! but i have a question, is it possible to use your template without an occulus rift? the one we use is our school’s one and only got access one per two weeks. We try but nothing work when we launch the game (it work with the occulus) is it normal or there is a problem with our project? we try using stereo on and fullscreen in a standalone.

By the way, nice work with the template!
[/]

Thanks! And it really depends what features, the ones like body IK and some of the movement options won’t work without the Rift but the rest should still function. Was there any specific feature that doesn’t work without the rift?

[=;188808]
Thanks! And it really depends what features, the ones like body IK and some of the movement options won’t work without the Rift but the rest should still function. Was there any specific feature that doesn’t work without the rift?
[/]

I think only the hightlight should be enought for us to work after, also i got a strange bug with the mirror : http://i.imgur.com/eHXFkbI.png and i don’t know if it’s link

thanks for the quick answer

blackout

[=;188485]

0.4.5 has a couple of fixes, there is no longer a Blackout when entering trigger volumes
[/]

Thanx for your fantastic blueprint but unfortunately I still have blackout when I enter a trigger volume in my level!

I use UE4 4.6 and runtime 0.4.4