Volumetric Light Function

Hello

I want to achieve volumetric spot light beam with multiple beams instead of just one whole beam.

I wonder if its possible to produce volumetric light beams from the light function material - for example have a starburst beams of volumeric fog from a spot light that has a starburst light function material?

Currently I found it’s not supported. Other people are using particles instead to achieve realistic light beams.

My current solution is using a mask shape placed in front of the spotlight so it divides the spot light beam from one whole beam into small beams. But the problems are:

1. light beams can be pixelated
  2. Light beams become a whole chunk of fog when you are from certain distant away from it (No matter how I adjust the exponential fog view distance, attenuation radius and so on)
  3. Still found it quite foggy, but lower the fog density makes it look less obvious - same as increasing light intensity.

Apreciated your help!!

It is possible to create light beams with volumetric fog and even dynamic multiple light sources. [Asher][1] has in the beginning of the video a [free example project][2] with exponential height fog and even [godrays][3].

The exponential height fog and volumetric clouds are very versatile and can be used for a lot of stuff. I’d give it a watch and read.
[1]: Expand Your World With Volumetric Effects | Inside Unreal - YouTube
[2]: http://asher.gg/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/VolumetricFogDemos.zip
[3]: Create nice and feasible volumetric cloud in Unreal Engine 4 | UE4之制作高端霸气的干冰体积雾 | Asher.GG

did you ever solve this?