Vive Mocap Kit - Support

Hi @

Question:
Can I match the hands of character directly with position of VR controllers ? I mean with out calibrating, since I always hold the controller at same gesture

sorryļ¼The email address you provided is wrong and cannot be sent

Hiļ¼Œ
I am tring to package the 4.25 demo project in 4.25.2 but it failed.
How should I deal with this problemļ¼Ÿ
Thxļ½ž

Hi there,

Very fun plugin so far! Iā€™m unfortunately having an issueā€¦

When I get to the calibration stage, my avatar looks the right size and plays the t-pose animation correctly. When I finish calibration it turns super tiny and seems to be stuck to the hip bone. Do you have any idea about what might be the issue? I havenā€™t scaled the model in Unreal.
Iā€™m creating my model in Blender, and I know Blender -> Unreal skeletal meshes have had some issues in the past. Do you think this might be related?
I am using the 4.24 version of the project by the way, and couldnā€™t find any record option in that version. Is it pretty straightforward to port this from an older example project? Iā€™m okay with bps but no expert.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I solved this, it was due to settings in Blender. Gotta set your world unit scale to 0.01 and scale your mesh up by 100 and apply transformation, for anyone with a similar problem.

My only remaining question is if the recording and finger tracking features of the 4.23 example project are easily ported to the 4.24 project or if thereā€™s another project available where I can fetch those things? Iā€™m going to start solving it myself but if it already exists it will save me a bunch of time. Thanks!

Edit: Keep solving my own problems. Porting the finger tracking stuff that uses SteamVR works fine! It looks super weird but I suspect that is my skeleton and not the plugins fault. Any additional advice you got for me will still be appreciated :slight_smile: Having some trouble porting the clone animbp as it breaks the blendshapes on my avatar somehow. Might figure that out too, but something to watch out for if one is trying to make blendshapes work and itā€™s not happening

Hi,

For more queck help, write me directly at e-mail (ykasczc@gmail.com).

The plugin has ā€œinput reference posesā€ to get good result with different skeletal meshes. Unfortunately, they arenā€™t documented yet.

Hi, great utility, weā€™re learning it now for mocap. Question is we consistently get a sway back kind of thing in the mannequin in the VR viewport. Went through the documentation and such but not sure whatā€™s causing this (seen with two different developers), any idea?

By sway back I mean the hips push forward, and/or the upper arm socket pronates (e.g. right arm rotates counter clockwise and left rotates clockwise)

It looks like a SteamVR tracking issue. The main tracker is pelvis/waist. I usually place it close to any side and not at the front: this way, loss of tracking happens rarely.

Hi, Hit a brick wall after opening the 4.25 demo project, spawned in halway below ground and canā€™t click the next button on the first screen - using hmd and vr mode

YES PLEASE to the tutorials!!

Can anyone recommend a good video walkthrough tutorial on the calibration process? After 1 month of intermittent attempts, I just canā€™t get a reliable method. Ieā€¦:

1. Some joints canā€™t find their envelope using the non-hmd map
  2. When I get the skeleton to bind to the trackers, Iā€™ll get a zombie slouch, or some limbs might gimbal around funny.
  3. Understanding the differences in manual calibration process is unclear. Preserving bone, vs not preserving bone. What exactly is going on here? Why adjust a tracker position with each method? Without bone preservation, when I adjust the hand controller position, the arms begin spinning wildly, and there is no consoling them by ā€œputting the tracker back where it wasā€.

Iā€™ve seen 1-2 decent examples of this plugin working onlineā€¦but Iā€™m starting to wonder if others are having as hard of a time getting it to calibrate as me.

There is a video, a bit outdated but still fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6zMCP8Gwc

Hi,
I think we already corresponded via e-mail.

To everyone: if you need support, please write me at e-mail. I check it every day.

Hi @

I hate to say this but so far the experience has been frustrating. There are no clear guidelines, we are left to scavenge bits of info here there. Half your videos seems to be over a year old.

Support over email is obviously going to be super slow which just adds to despair.

Why not just make a few clear tutorials? Written or video with some voice or at least some text.

Thanks!

EDIT - I got it working. However, orientation and of arms and shoulders are a difficult issue to get right even with manual option.

For me, it is so close to being great butā€¦ you canā€™t make things work without arms can you.

Wish there could be sliders to correct the orientation issues.

Is anyone else getting a severe warning from their antivirus using the latest 4.26 project downloaded from Gdrive? I use Norton and it is not letting me use it at all.

How do we increase the animation recording length please Anti? I was told that the recording length should now be unlimited but I have just tried this in the noHMDMocapmap and it still seems to be set to 50 secs max? Thank you :slight_smile:

**** Now Answered by AntiAnti *** Window -> Cinematics -> Sequence Recorder -> ā€œSequence Recordingā€ group -> Default Animation Settings -> Set Length.

Thank you

Hi again,

I seem to be having a big problem saving the animations after they have been recorded. I can see that the takes are being created however if I exit the project and then reload it they have disappeared? I have tried pressing ā€˜save allā€™ before quitting but it doesnā€™t seem to make any difference for some reasonā€¦

I have purchased the full version of vive mocap kit and am using the demo project found at this link (4.26):-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jHuā€¦7Gfqv5a9e/view

If anyone has any idea as to why this may be then I would very much like to hear about it, as I have a big project coming up this Wednesday and I do not want to lose any work because of it!

REPLY FROM ANTI:-

"This bug appeared in the last versions of UE4.

Try Window -> Cinematics -> Sequence Recorder and set ā€œAuto Save Assetsā€ checkbox. But sometimes it causes crashes (at least for me).

Also, before exiting the editor try to save manually all captured assets. Or export assets to fbx and then save."

**** I have now also found that if I copy the takes to a new folder then they seem to stay afterwards, but the original files are still being deleted - I am now migrating the files to another project as an extra precautionary step also - this step still only seems to work if they are copied to a new folder first thoughā€¦ ****

Thank you

Reminder: please write me at e-mail for support in case you face any issues. Unfortunately, I canā€™t read the forum often.

Hi ,

I have some questions about the Vive mocap kit.

1. if i want to add a new mesh to replace the CapturePawn2D, should I make the skeleton tree of the mesh similar to the four sample characters? I tried a custom mesh and mapped the 18 bones however it doesnā€™t works well. The T pose anim sequence that we created seems not ok too.

2. Is that possible to add meshes after pack the demo project? Or I need to make a UI for users to add and then write code to create the corresponding bps and anims to make it work?

3. When calibration, the person who wear 6 trackers on 2 hands 1 head 1 pelvis and 2 feet. However when he put his arms down. the hands of character in calibration still far from the hips. Is that the issue of the position of trackers that we wear?

4. Sometimes the elbow invert in very strange way when rotate arms fast, check ā€œinvert elbowā€ not working.

Appreciate if answer.

Hi,

1. There are some requirements for skeleton hierarchy: legs and spine should be attached to the same pelvis/hips bone (sometimes theyā€™re in a parallel hierarchy). Root bone on the ground under pelvis is recommended. Orientation of joints co-directed with bones (not like Daz3D skeletons). But within this restrictions all models should work.

2. You can switch meshes using the same skeleton on runtime just using SkeletalMeshComponent ā†’ SetSkeletalMesh. But if they had a different size, it would worsen calibration.

3. It depends on attachment points of trackers. Arm Span is measured as a distance between trackers attached to hands. You can add some adjustment to get a correct calibration with your positioning: go to BP_CapturePawn2D ā†’ CaptureDevice component ā†’ Details tab ā†’ ArmsCalibrationAdjustment (in centimeters).

4. Just like p.3, but need to increase ElbowLoweringMltiplier.

P. S. I donā€™t check this topic often. Please write me at e-mail for support (about custom skeleton, this situation needs investigation).