Vive Mocap Kit - Support

Sorry I couldn’t send email to you from this area… Everything is blocked.
For Q3, is the ArmsCalibrationAdjustment means the length from the tracker on the arm to the most front point of the middle finger?
And for Q4, is the ElbowLoweringMultiplier is the calculated by upperarm/(upperarm+lowerarm) ?

Also I couldn’t run the package project since it said “couldn’t find plugin SteamVRTrackingLib” and I set the path in Additional Asset Directories to Cook but not work

It’s more complicated about ArmsCalibrationAdjustment, because all skeletons are different. Generally, large value means smaller scale. Increase ArmsCalibrationAdjustment if hands are too long and vice versa.

ElbowLoweringMultiplier makes elbows lower when wrist is closer to torso.

Do you try to package default demo project? Try to move SteamVRTrackingLib from the local Plugins folder to Engine’s Plugins folder (Epic Games/UE_4.26/Engine/Plugins/Marketplace for example).

If Gmail was blocked, you could write at ykasczc@yandex.ru

Following your idea the project packed well. I sent you an email about models, about the skeleton correction

1 Like

Bad Tracking Correction

A few days ago I added a tracking correction which is IMO really important with 5+ Vive Trackers. It’s enabled by default, but the feature needs tracking roles specified for trackers in SteamVR settings. If you experience problems with tracking, please read updated documentation at page 9.

Hello . Thanks for the update! I was wondering if you could help me hide my vive trackers in game so I can just record my screen and have some nice animations as well as live capability.
I have tried editing “BP_TrackedDevice”. Here is an example that doesn’t seem to work.

I will keep experimenting. I’ve tried using flip flop as well as a few other things but nothing seems to work.

In headset (MocapMap) pProcess input in BP_CapturePawn: GetComponentsByClass(TrackedDeviceComponent) → ForEach Loop → SetHiddenInGame (true).

Without headset (NoHmd* maps) do it in the BP_CapturePawn2D blueprint: GetAllActorsOfClass(BP_TrackerDevice) → ForEach Loop → SetHiddenInGame (true).

Thank you so much! I couldn’t get it to work in the CapturePawn BP, but I got it working in the level BP and it works great! Thanks for the expertise! Here is my setup in case anyone else would like to see

1 Like

I have the same problem. Have you solved it?

I watched your tutorial video. I tried to customize the model, but it failed. It was sent to your mailbox in detail. I need your help

I’m planning an update for Vive Mocap Kit plugin based on collected feedback. The update will affect the plugin itself as well as the ViveMocap demo project.

OpenXR Note

First of all, about OpenXR. It’s recommended plugin for all VR systems in UE5. SteamVR plugin (as well as Oculus) is now deprecated. Moreover, SteamVR plugin isn’t fully supported, not updated by Epics and doesn’t work in a packaged game.

At the other hand, OpenXR doesn’t provide comparable functionality. In UE 5.0 and UE 5.1 it doesn’t support Vive Trackers at all, and in UE 5.2 number of trackers is limited to 13 (by available SteamVR roles/motion sources). Also, tracking works only with stereo rendering (VR Preview) and doesn’t work in simple PIE/Viewport mode. So, I decided not to update the plugin to OpenXR just yet. But if you need OpenXR-based version for some reason, please write me at e-mail (ykasczc@gmail.com).

ViveMocap Project

I’m planning to update the project for UE 5.2 with follow changes:

• cleaned UI;
  • [OpenXR only] auto bind Vive Trackers to bones by role (set role in SteamVR settings);
  • [OpenXR only] don’t bind bones to Vive Trackers with non-related roles (like “Camera”, “Pad” etc;
  • more suitable preset to capture animation on MetaHuman;
  • scale calibration settings exposed to calibration menu;
  • clavicle offsets are also exposed to menu (only for tracked upperarms);
  • no-HMD map: new approach for calibration (with assistance).

Vive Mocap Kit Plugin

This update is already submitted for 5.0 and 5.1. It should appear in Epic Launcher in a short time.

List of changes:

• new algorithm for elbows (CaptureDevice component → ElbowModel);
  • [Bug Fix] CaptureDevice → ApplyOpenVRCorrection doesn’t cause crashes anymore. Please make sure it’s turned on. It’s highly recommended for better tracking - please read more in documentation at page 9.
  • During calibration, CaptureDevice now automatically sets pre-defined offsets between motion controllers and hand bones. To disable it, uncheck CaptureDevice → AutoOffsetsForControllers.
  • [OpenXR only] New finger tracking. It’s unversal for different types of controllers and doesn’t require FingersDataProvider blueprint. Requires OpenXRHandTracking (engine plugin) enabled.
  • Improved torso tracking from one point (pelvis) and two points (pelvis+ribcage).

Hi there! I use the supplied Demo Projects to do simple motion capture, and I notice that you must press the right motion controller trigger button to start and stop recording. I find that during a capture I will accidentally press the trigger button by mistake, and this will stop my recording. It’s very easy to press the trigger button by accident when you are using the Valve Index controllers during a performance. Is there any way to change the record trigger button to be something else? Like maybe a keyboard button for example, which will not be triggered by accident during motion capture performance? Is there any solution to this? Many thanks for your help, I appreciate your time!

1 Like

I’m extremely interested in purchasing this I just had one question - does this also work with finger-tracking gloves?

Not out of box.

I have default support for fingers tracking data streamed via OpenXR (OpenXRHandTracking module), but

a. Currently version of VMK on marketplace works via SteamVR and not OpenXR, because IMO OpenXR in UE5 isn’t production-ready yet.
b. Support also depends on the gloves. Do your gloves support OpenXR? As far as I know, among popular systems only Microsoft Hololens 2 currently steam figners pose via OpenXR. And, probably, Meta Quest (or it should in a future).

Also I have an universal interface to “feed” any fingers data to the plugin via blueprints. Default blueprint in the ViveMocap project (FingersDataProvider_SteamVR) reads hand pose from SteamVR - it’s calculated for common types of motion controllers. A few versions ago I also had the FingersDataProvider_ManusVR blueprint to work with ManusVR gloves. But I’m pretty sure they updated their API and UE plugin, so it’s outdated and doesn’t work anymore.

At the end of the day, you always can get fingers pose and blend it to body in the animation blueprint. But you need at least basic experience in UE animation blueprints to do that.

Amazing! Thankyou so much!

Hello.
I’ve noticed that gloves and Vive Mocap Kit can be used together among the answers to other people’s questions.

So I’m asking because I want to use Vive Mocap Kit and Rokoko Smart Glaves together.

Rokoko Smart Gloves capture from the wrist joint to the finger through the Rokoko Studio program.

How can I do this?
I would like to inquire by mail, but the mail link in the text is not clicked, so I leave it in the reply.

My email is dddw19@gmail.com

New tracking system. Note: it will require minor changes in existing project after update. Not released yet. In development.

I just want to confirm that this works with HTC vive trackers before I buy. I’m going to get two for feet, two for knees, one for torso, two for elbows.