Using SetPawn causes Access violation

Hello,

Here is my issue I’ve just added a Dynamic_Multicast_delegate to my code SetPawn seems to be the best method to use for the listening function however when I hit play I get Acces Violation from the PlayerController in BeginPlay() on line 13: auto AimingComponent = GetPawn()->FindComponentByClass<UTankAimingComponent>(); using dump file I see that FindComponentByClass is the method causing the unhandled exception stating this->Pawn was nullptr here is the code for SetPawn `void ATankAIController::SetPawn(APawn* InPawn)
{
Super::SetPawn(InPawn);

if (InPawn)
{
	auto PossesedTank = Cast<ATank>(InPawn);
	if (!ensure(PossesedTank)) { return; }

PossesedTank->OnTankDeath.AddUniqueDynamic(this, &ATankPlayerController::OnPossesedTankDeath);
}

}`

What is your delegate and where does it get triggered from?

Oh wait. Pawn won’t be valid yet in player controller begin play. Try using OnPossess.

Try auto PlayerTank = Cast<ATank>(InPawn);

Declerations Tank.h: DECLARE_DYNAMIC_MULTICAST_DELEGATE(FTankDelegate); FTankDelegate OnTankDeath .cpp if (CurrentHealth <= 0) { OnTankDeath.Broadcast(); }
Listeners ATankAIController & PlayerController .h ( UFUNCTION() void OnPosssesedTankDeath() )

this void is the place where it is triggered from so in AIController and PlayerController

Unless you’re just on about the.Broadcast?

Thank you I will try that now :smiley:

using OnPossess end up with Ensure condition failed: PlayerTank [File:E:\Unreal Projects\Tank-Game-master\Source\BattleTank\Private\TankAIController.cpp] [Line: 50] ( auto PlayerTank = Cast<ATank>(GetWorld()->GetFirstPlayerController()->GetPawn()); )

Well I just noticed the issue didn’t put Super::SetPawn(InPawn) into the PlayerController facepalm

Thank you for your time I’m a bit of a n00b with UE and C++

Woops! Remember your ABCs (Always Be Calling super)