using modifier keys with input.

I’m trying to create a save feature so that the player can input Ctrl+S and the game saves.

However i don’t see a simple way of adding modifiers to the input, (ctrl, shft, alt). I used to be able to just hit a tick box.

I’ve seen a few people “stacking” inputs in order to achieve this but I cannot imagine a designer of any software being daft enough to look at this and thinking that it is a good idea. There has to be a better way.

What am i missing?

If you want my honest opinion, if this is about enhanced input, I can’t see why anyone thinks enhanced input is a good design the way it is. The bugs… the bugs… But that isn’t what you were asking. You can still disable enhanced input and revert to the “original” input settings which have the modifier checkboxes on input actions. Sadly they deprecated this a bit too soon, in 5.2.

Seen this ?

Enhanced Input key with modifier? - #2 by Ravoltz

Whats the problem with just setting a bool when control is pressed and unsetting it when released, then using the bool with whichever input? It seems exactly like what the old modifier did, it just needs done more specifically now. I’m just wondering cause that’s what I always do.

Never had to do that in the old system. You risk that one bool hangs on “pressed” where you store it if the bool isn’t cleared properly. This can happen if input is disabled while pressing or if the bool is on a widget and focus shifts from a widget to a pawn etc.

That makes sense. Usually there is a whole bunch of other stuff that needs cleared anyway so I don’t mind it much. Though had I been using those modifiers for years and they suddenly took them away I would probably wonder wtf?

I had more wtf moments with this engine than hours spent on development.
I don’t question it anymore I just keep linking reports like EPIC, stop breaking Slate / UMG in hopes staff realizes things are going downhill fast.
I’m going offtopic here, but I think Enhanced Input is either a small marketing move or they attempt to make a “one solution for everything” by experimentally putting as many features as possible into one thing… This is a pattern I see everywhere and it just doesn’t work. That it is not an optional plugin says enough, “old” system is deprecated… new one is just more big binary files for version control in which non programmers try to inject their input logic XD. sorry for my offtopic rant. Everytime I see people struggle with these experimental things I get p*ssed at how the new engine versions suck cause it’s such a waste of time for everyone.

I’m really glad to hear you say this, I absolutely hate the new system. I feel like a lot of the stuff Epic does recently is totally unnecessary and is done simply to show that they are doing something. The “Enhanced” system is such a massive step backwards its ridiculous.

To answer you question of why i’m using it though, The old system is depreciated now. Meaning that in future releases its going to be completely removed. I figure i may as well learn how to use it now rather than wait for the inevitable "oh Fk" moment when i’m in the middle of a time sensitive project and have to step away to learn this piece of St that so very few people actually wanted.

Seriously though, I wish Epic could spend the time on their launcher and other stuff rather than fixing stuff that wasn’t broken in the first place.

Sorry if that got a little rant-ee.

Ill mark that link as the solution for others in case they have the same issue, but yes, i have found that before. That’s what i meant by “stacking” the inputs.

So much simpler than clicking a check box isn’t it… (s)

I’m already considering re adding it as a plugin by then :slight_smile:

I’m not going to add a binary file per key * contexts to my git repo lol… What are they thinking. Now imagine that if you have a project which does require any form of very advanced input, say all the switches of 50 different airplanes (DCS World, flight sim, etc.) then Enhanced Input isn’t even a proper fit because one solution never fits all. It would mean I’d add 500 binary files, awkwardly attempt to “program” them with hardcoded properties per file and add that to my repo where I can’t diff the data? No thanks. I have all the freedom in the world when I write to ini files, it holds data not logic, just what I need. Actually, I write to the same ini files used by other systems like the UGameUserSettings does for graphics settings and whatnot. That is definitely not deprecated.

Raquita GIF - Raquita GIFs|833x624.75

If they ever make an LTS version this wouldn’t be an eternal curse.

Request for LTS versions of UE and marketplace assets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.