Using Lumen and Baked lights?

Unreal Engine 5.3

Hey, I am planning on having a multiplayer level, in which players are in one building. Now, the targeted audience has high and low end hardware, meaning some of them will be able to have lumen work on their device, and some not due to not fulfilled hardware requirements mostly.
Now I was wondering, is it possible to build the level for baking lights for the low end devices, build the lightmaps, and then in the packeged project, have some selection in the settings to select either lumen or baked lights with one path raytracing, which then depending on the players instance, is set as an option in a post processing volume filling out the whole level?

I have not much experience with this, so help is highly appreciated^^

Yes, it is infact possible.

Care to explain?.. :slight_smile:

I am pretty sure you just disable lumen in the game and the engine will then read the built data that is generated after building lighting. if you switch between lumen and normal with the post process in editor, then simply disabling lumen brings back the static instantly.

2 Likes

Ah sorry for replying so late, it is pretty much like Komodo explained it. In my case I use a PostProcessingVolume for an area, in this area I have static and dynamic lights, the static lights are baked into lightmaps for when the GI mode in the PostProcessingVolumes settings is set to One Path Raytracing, and the dynamic lights are placed for when its set to lumen.
Its not good though if you want both methods to look similar, thats really not that easy to get to work.

I would just use emissives for static lighting in lumen, just place one in your level whereever the baked lighting is supposed to be, usually you dont want ghost lighting anyways. You can also probably make the lights inside of an actor and then use begin play/construction to switch between static and movable depending on lumen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.