Upgrading to Unreal Engine 5.1 Breaks Lighting

I want to update to Unreal Engine 5.1, as it actually seems to run on my M1 Mac running macOS Ventura, but when I upgrade I run into to a couple of errors with my lighting. The most noticeable error is when building my lighting the engine crashes and produces this error:
Assertion failed: LightId.IsValid() [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\MapBuildData.cpp] [Line: 776]

When that error does not occur, Unreal Engine will build the lighting, but then any Blueprint actors with light components as a child of it will disappear. I have tried adding a static mesh with an added light component as a child, and that worked just fine, however, doing this takes a lot of time and I would instead stick to using Blueprints that work on my Windows PC.

If anyone would like to tinker with my current project files and setup, here is the link to my repository: GitHub - ZachDNichols/LiDAR: A game made inspired by Portal, made in Unreal Engine 5

Any response will be super helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

I can confirm lighting brakes in one way or another after upgrading a project to 5.1, all my lights which previously were dynamic pointlights appear now as stationary, and afrer making them dynamic most of them are creating weird artifacts that appear and dissapear based on the distance just as they used to in the prevew version, lumen seem to have more artifacts and be more unestable than in 5.0.

2 Likes

Hm, interesting, seems like this isn’t the version to use for better macOS support.

Hey there @Mr.Fishward! Welcome to the community! It seems like this is a pretty consistent issue with UE5.1 on many MacOS devices (mostly Mac). If possible you can help the bug get patched by submitting a detailed bug report here:

3 Likes

Thanks, @SupportiveEntity. It is worth noting thought that the issue with the lighting was primarily occurring on my Windows PC.

1 Like

Interesting! Definitely pop as much information in the report as possible if you have a moment! It’s hard to identify the lighting issues as much of it comes down to the rendering code, and that by far is one of the hardest aspects to determine quick community fixes for. Most of the time I leave it to the real masters on the team to work out at the engine level!

2 Likes

Was there any resolution to this issue? I’m on PC and updated a project to 5.1 and also am having lighting issues now. Some of my static meshes with lighting components no longer have the ability to edit the lighting and are way too bright. Seems like the only thing I’m able to do is remove the mesh from the environment.

Hey there @Jabroni_Waldo! Welcome back to the community! So there’s been a couple of Quick Fixes rolled out for MacOS in regards to lighting but none for windows as of yet. Your issue seems a bit different than many that have been reported. Are your lights details grayed out or just not changing regardless of setting? Are the meshes Emissive? As with Lumen it does provide light from emissive materials.

MacOS lighting fixes:

1 Like

Hello there, sorry for the delayed response. I was able to resolve my issue. The meshes had emissive lighting active, which I hadn’t realized, and so now that they’re disabled (or greatly lowered), I’m able to get the look I want! Thank you!

This is still an issue I am having in Unreal Engine 5.1.1. I am unsure if it is an Engine bug or something I have done, but I may have to unfortunately rewrite the codebase for my game.

I believed 5.1.1 had added that QFE (or similar fix) so it must be a different issue than that one fixed. Could you try spinning up a fresh project and testing it out there to see if it’s a project side issue? (I doubt it is, but it’s a good test)

I was able to spin up a new project. When trying to upgrade a project I get an error causing the engine to consistently crash. I am going to have to manually upgrade my game it looks like.

Continuando a discussĂŁo de Upgrading to Unreal Engine 5.1 Breaks Lighting:

With Unreal Engine 5.1.1 when turning on three spot Light or RectLight or point Light in a blue print that has a function to turn on and off through another blueprint of a switch, the graphics engine starts to crash and the FPS is unstable and varying wildly .

1 Like

I am unsure if that is my issue. Thank you for the input however!

1 Like

Upgrading to Unreal Engine 5.2 fixed the issue.

2 Likes

I have 5.1.1 on my MacBook Pro. I have some meshes grayed out and others are over exposed and when I build the lighting it fails and never goes over 0% progress.
If the moderators wants to reproduce the problem, I’m just observing the Assetsville Town that I just downloaded from the Marketplace and the lighting is broken in it.

Hey there @fullmoonGames! Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I don’t have an up to date MacOS rig to test this out on, but we can try to check it out!

Are there any errors in the build log when this occurs? Are your lights static or stationary? Could we see the lighting errors?

I am running 5.2 and have the same issue. I have a large level with 10s thousands of assets. Everything has been fine until now. A large number of assets have been added for set dressing and I get the same assertion Lightid is valid error noted above.