Updated from UE5.1 to UE5.3, with significant increases in Rendering Time(especially the shadow).

I updated my project from UE5.1 to UE5.3.
despite the same levels,the processing time for ShadowDepth and Light increased significantly.

UE5.1

UE5.3

Some of the settings related to rendering look like this

I need FPS more than very high quality rendering and I do not like the current UE5.3 FPS.

I have checked the release notes for UE5.2 and UE5.3 and tried changing the added settings, etc., but no improvement has been made.

I would like to revert to UE5.1 settings and improve the FPS while still on UE5.3. If anyone knows of a way to do this, I would appreciate your help.

The above image was checked with Scalability set to Epic. if you are using UE5.3 and set Scalability to Medium, the FPS will be about the same as UE5.1.
The quality may be lower because of the culling distance of shadows…

If you are using VSM it could be because the entire landscape is invalidating your shadow cache. If you select your landscape and in details find “Shadow Cache Invalidation Behaviour” and set it to static you might see some improvements. This is something we had to do when upgrading to 5.3 from 5.2 as we also noticed worse shadow depths performance.

This one did not significantly improve my FPS, but it was one of the better improvements. Thank you!

For now, we have decided to change the settings of the ones that have a critical impact on quality in Scalability Medium and set the default to Medium, which does not have such a large drop in quality in Medium.

This gave me enough FPS to settle the issue once and for all.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.