Unsupported RHI

Already using dx12 as default RHI. But still says unsupported RHI. So I’m not able to promote frame for tracking.
I’m using UE5.3 on Intel i7 1260p and Iris xe graphics.

Greetings @Mephistophele5

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Community Forums! In regards to the RHI, have you checked your DefaultEngine.ini file in your config folder? I would check there first and ensure the line below is set to DirectX 12.

[/Script/WindowsTargetPlatform.WindowsTargetSettings]
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12

(If the last line has ‘DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11’, change it to 12 there)

Let me know if that resolves the problem.,

@FrostyJas I’m also having this issue and confirmed that the ini file has the line you mentioned above. I’m still getting the error and I’m unable to promote frames. No idea how to fix this because my computer is on DirectX12.

Hi @RitvikAlign Does it happen if you change ‘DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12’ to DX11?

@FrostyJas Yes. I still get the same message that I’m unable to promote frames because my RHI is not set to DirectX12.

Hi, jumping in to say I had the same problem. It’s set at DX12 in DefaultEngine.ini. I tried setting it to 11, problem persists. I changed it back to 12, problem persists. I restarted Unreal between changes.

Greetings @sheilaxM

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Community Forum. Is this happening on more than one project, UE version, etc? Or is it a specific project that you’re having this issue?

Same problem since version 5.3.

Greetings @SergeyIwanski

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Community Forum. Are you having the same issue as above? Also, you mentioned this error has been around since you started using 5.3. Does this not happen in older versions? (Also, what specs are you currently running? Thanks!)

Everything is the same as others above, starting from version 5.3 (old versions work).

I see. Are you running DirectX 11 or 12 in your config?

Maybe there is a way to somehow disable the RHI check or force the functions to be enabled. But in any case, this is a bug and if it is not fixed now it will go to the next versions.

I have the same problem here too.but when i saw videos online while people were changing their RHI they had more options than just default RHI which i have under Tatrget RHI

1. Go to Edit – Project Settings from the Main Menu.
  2. Go to Platforms – Windows. Enable DirectX 12 as a Default RHI:
  3. Go to Engine – Rendering and Enable the option Ray Tracing.
  4. Enable Support Compute Skin Cache in the Rendering – Optimizations:
  5. Restart the engine. Done!

Unreal Engine 5.4 Preview this problem still remains (

I managed to find out the following:
• if I open UE5.1 with the -dx12 argument, a message appears that my system does not support DirectX 12.
• my system says DirectX 12 is supported. I can also run the DirectX12 benchmark in 3DMark.
• when opening UE4.27 with -dx12 it starts without any problems.
• UE5.1 allows “Track Markers” in “Meta Human Identity” even with DirectX 11 selected in RHI.

That’s why it worked in UE5.1 but can’t work in newer versions, looks like they removed DX11 support completely there. Btw the MetaHuman plugin is experimental.

This still hasn’t been resolved and I’m now on a desktop with a 4070 installed. I need this working so I can actually use Metahuman…

1 Like

I am also encountering the same problem and currently unable to use MetaHuman.