Unreal Engine Bug Submission Form

@Amanda.Bott - What I miss the most is the discoverability of other people’s bug reports. The number of times I would google a problem I’m having and would find a bug report about it. At least then I knew I wasn’t doing something wrong and could help by contributing more details to the report. Cross posting to AH is useless as most people won’t and the devs won’t see it. So if I come along with extra info for the bug… nobody will read it because the devs won’t even know it is there and linked to the.

Maybe the form should auto create an AH post with all the details and add the link to the form submission to the devs. People will be able to find it in google and not bother submitting a new bug report then but contribute to the existing one.

UE-58676, which I unfortunately ran into, and even more regrettably put some effort into reporting, is a typical example of how of a joke that bug report form, and to be honest, whole system is.

There is little to no correlation between ticket and the thread, describing and my follow-up report. Moreover, the ticket was initially filed based completely off the words of the initial reporting user, without any application of common sense and critical thinking. Neither the ticket reflects severity of the and number of users potentially affected. Even more so, the ticket contains misleading information, including its title.

The effort, put into reviewing bugs is incomparably lower, than effort of reporting them. In best case, whatever text you submit, will be copy/pasted to the tracker, provided that you succeed manipulating reviewer with reproduction steps.
In between 4.6 and 4.19 I’ve encountered a good deal of bugs. It is pretty expected for a software of such scale. I’ve reported only 4. Simply because I’ve considered the others minor and not worth any time. From those 4, one was a rare and minor material editor crash in earlier versions. The other one was not a bug technically, but a major flaw. The amount of resistance encountered was comparable to starting a revolt. Third one was UI in the newer version, that most likely sinked in can’t reproduce bin.

And the last one was UE-58676. At least 8 users, in addition to posters in the thread, whom I know experiencing it, replied that they can’t be bothered to report it, because it won’t even make it to tracker, or nobody will ever do a thing about it anyway

So far, UE4 bug reporting feels the same way, as applying for a handgun carry permit.
It should be the other way around.

The problem with the current bug submission form is it lacks the transparency of AnswerHub bug reports. There is no way to track a bug report until it is added to the Issues page so you don’t even know if your report is being worked on, or was discarded (which the user should be notified of btw). Beyond that, there is no simple way to discuss a bug in the tracker in one place, currently AnswerHub & forum posts are being created to ask a question on an. This creates numerous posts in in different sections, and sites, that become hard for others to find.

How about something like this. Create a new section called Crashes on AnswerHub, move all current threads from Bug Reports to this new section, and then lock down Bug Reports so only Epic can create new threads. Using an automated system post a “discussion thread” for every bug report filed in your system. The initial post would contain a copy of the bug report text (minus the users email address of course), the ticket #, etc. and then add a new comment with the relevant info every time the report changes its state. If a report is not reproducible as an example, the user who submitted the report subscribes to receive updates (might be possible to automate ) and can then reply back with additional info or a test project containing the bug. This would also benefit bugs on the tracker by combining all discussion in one place instead of creating multiple posts whenever they need to ask or tell Epic something, and would eliminate the posts asking how long a fix will take as updates are posted to the thread. If it’s too difficult to set up an automated system on AnswerHub then maybe create a new section here on the forums, or add a new section to the Issues page for new reports where the user can add comments (and enable comments for fully tracked bugs too).

I understand why this system was created and believe it can work well for both Epic staff and the end users, but open discussion is an essential part of that system for us end users and needs to be implemented in some way.

Perhaps put a link to the form under resources - support/issues.
The only way I know of getting to it (though I haven’t looked that hard) is to go to these forums and find a thread that links to it.

I see no meaningful reply from epic on this other than stubborn a “this is the way it is for the good of us, not you”
Many have suggested AT LEAST an automatic answer hub thread opened for these bugs, with correspondence also automatically being added to the thread

We want to SEE the bugs, we want to TALK about the bugs, we want to SEE THE RESULTS, THE WORK AROUNDS, MORE INFORMATION

Since this new system has been implemented, i’ve stopped reporting bugs, and ive also stopped using answer hub, except to do the above mentioned.

What I HAVE been doing, it submitting crash reports for every little crash, but that feels just as meaningless, but requires no effort, and at least I do see crash submission fixes when enough of us submit the same crash

The corporate game is the bean counting game. And that never does well for the community as a whole. I’m glad your bug reports appear to be more meaningful. I’m just aware, that the meaningful bugs are not actually reported because anyone having a hard time does NOT want to shoot off a bug report in the dark without the ability for other members to chime in with extra details or a work around when epic says wont fix. ect.

I’m disappointed in Epic.
Six months later and not a single meaningful reply from an Epic employee actually addressing any of the points raised by the people in this thread.

Making the system so hostile that no one can be bothered to actually report bugs doesn’t help anyone.

That’s why I still use Answerhub. I fill the the bug form, copy everything into notepad and use the same info to post on Answerhub bug report session. There’re usually people with the same problem that found workarounds.

1 Like

-snipped spam-

I like that things are changing. Change is good. I would love to see this radical change though

All Launcher Problems are redirected to Fortnite Help.
GG boys

This feels like a step back from the Answers site, because that site is still the top hit on Google, and searching in the bug tracker seems very difficult.

It feels now as if more information is hidden than before, and information access was already a problem with Unreal…

We should be able to make more than a single attachment to a bug report.

Can’t you attach a .zip with everything inside? If you can’t, that’s awful.

Is it a big bug that I find ray tracing can’t
make foliages drop shadow in vegetation systems?

@Amanda.Bott Can you tell me why it is MY job to do QA?

Not sure it’s your job…but, if it doesn’t take too long, might as well…

teak

Did he say QA didn’t check it? Maybe they did, it’s good practice to ask person reporting the.
It’s often difficult to reproduce the using the same project in company.

It is nice looking and useful form but isnt there too many fields? Devs will get discouraged from the amount of effort they have to put to send info about bug

Thanks for the feedback, @anonymous_user_1c400f9b. What fields do you feel are not useful?

I do not think so. In my opinion this is a very good move. This function will be useful

Regards, Showbox