Unreal Engine 5 Freezes when saving packages or saving anything

Suddenly last night I started to get this issue when trying to save updates to my map or any material instance changes. Sometimes it will go up to 75% then freeze, sometimes it will not get past 0 and be stuck on saving Packages. This is a few examples.

I tried clearing my cache and saved in project but no joy. Any ideas?

Greetings @KHM3dia

Can you provide your system specs/info for me and any ways youā€™ve found of replicating the issue and/or having it not happen? (Other UE versions, different projects, etc)

Hi my system specs are : AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Asus Strix ROG X570F, 64GB RAM, Nvidia 3080.

Seems that the issue happens so far when I try to make changes in my level and save or if I do some material instance changes and save. It either freezes at 70% or right at 0%.
Sometimes it will work fine other times it will freeze 30sec later. Happens so far only in 5.3 preview and only first ever time I encountered this.

Hello,

Iā€™ve got exactly the same issue , did you find a solution ?
I am trying out a couple of things , Iā€™ll let you know !
Thanks

Do you have this issue while using other versions of Unreal Engine or with other projects? Also, if itā€™s only on that specific project are you running any type of plugins?

By the way I am working on a version control environment , is it the case for you aswell @KHM3dia ?
And I am on the 5.2.1 version.

Not me, standalone version of 5.3.

Anyone find a solution? Happening to me for the last 3 days now. All of yesterday. I was able to save last night and this morning but now its freezing again. I literally donā€™t have anything in the scene besides my character and its clothes. My specs are 96gbs of ram, i9, rtx3090.

Bumping this. Having the same issues. On 5.1, any project I try and save will go to 89% saved and then freeze. It doesnā€™t crash so I have to force quit it

Anyone found solution yet?

I have the same issue when saving changes to the material.
Engine version 5.3
Freezes at 0%

Tried to upgrade all the drivers nvidia/win - no changes :frowning:

1 Like

Just chiming in to say Iā€™ve got the same issue. Saving a particular material freezes the editor. Saving Packages gets stuck at 0%

The status of UCB-956 incident has been moved from ā€˜Needs Triageā€™ to ā€˜Closedā€™. Resolution Reason: ā€˜Fixedā€™

1 Like

Likewise. Though mine is a Material instance, both that instance, and a child of that instance will cause the editor to get stuck trying to save either of these files.

Other post

same boat, posted here but if you need more ammo im having the same issue.

Same problem. We tested the project on 2 other computers (with a 4080 and not a 3090) and had no problem. Checking on the web, there seems to be a correlation between this bug and whether you have a 3080 or a 3090.

After digging, I believe the problem is coming from the Texture Streaming.

1. It silent crashes if you try building the texture.
    Building Texture Streaming Data in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

2. The Material Texture Scales viewmode show incomplete textures

3. The console command BuildMaterialTextureStreamingData silent crash

It might be link to that

but I have not tested to port it in 5.3

1 Like

On our side, we solved the problem by forcing an update of the Master Material used.
We were then able to see that the ā€œOptimization Viewmodes / Material Texture Scaleā€ view was not buggy (= objects were not in black).
The save function worked because Build Texture Streaming was working.

Hope that can fix your problem too.

1 Like

This solved to issue for us. Cheers!

Had same issues after unreal crashed. Whenever I tried to change normal map on a instanced material it got stuck on saving package. No matter the normal texture, no matter the material.

What fixed it is I shut down Unreal (the failure that it is) and deleted master material files and copied them from backup I had (everything done in windows explorer ofc (the absolute garbage that it is)).

Basically it seems that Unreal damaged master material files.

Edit:

Happened again. Basicaly I am importing and setting up nanite meshes and materials for days. Dragging, dropping, moving between folders in unreal etc.

Anyway this time I decided the other method, to open master material, unplug node, save master material, replug node, save. This fixed the instanced material that was causing issue.
By the way the not saving issue with this instanced material was 100% repeatable, I could ctrl+alt+del, drag new normal map into this instanced material, save and it would sit there at 0%. However I have no idea overall what is causing that issue.

Edit 2: Ill add also that this happens ALOT in 5.3, no idea if its because I enabled nanite or its 5.3 or experimental tesselation (that is not used in these materials). But I noticed that often problematic material instances will be world grid white in their preview. After master material trick they properly generate icon.

Edut 3: I also had this happen again, this is a major issue right now. Anyway this time, material instance worked after engine restart. Did not need any tricks. So go figure it.

1 Like

Wow, so it is happening everywhere. I thought only me. It is happening to me a lot. Changing the material and it stuck when saving. I have to force exit the engine, and try again. But it keeps happening so I guess I cannot change or move forward for the project. Anyone solve this issue?