Unreal Engine 5.5 Preview

Hi, it seems MegaLights do not work on spawned light components via the “Add Component” node (Add Spotlight Component, Add Point Light Component, etc). I did A/B testing enabling/disabling MegaLights and saw zero FPS difference with a scene full of light actors with spawned light components. Can this be fixed before 5.5 full release? Thanks!

Too bad the path tracer still doesn’t support nanite tessellation. Hopefully with 5.6!

It works fine for me. There must be something else going on with your setup. Are you sure that hardware raytracing is enabled and that your GPU supports it, along with SM6? Megalights requires them. Also, are you using a post process volume to flip it on and off? Make sure it’s set to unbound to include the entire scene. Lastly, make sure that the graphics preset level is high enough. Probably has to be on high or epic to be enabled.

Here’s the constructor script I tested with that randomizes some values:

10x10x6 grid of lights: 85fps with megalights enabled, 23fps with it disabled.

I’m still waiting for UE versions above 5.2 to actually support imported animations.

And I’m not saying that to be funny either, this is still broken in 5.5 and is a very serious problem, also extremely frustrating that this hasn’t been resolved yet:

Rigged characters are bouncing and jittering around all over the place like popcorn when FBX animations imported into UE5.4 or 5.5 from an external application are applied to them.

The problem was somewhat manageable in 5.3 as bad as it was, but then got even worse in 5.4 where it didn’t matter if animations were imported without problems in previous versions, the moment you upgrade to 5.4 or 5.5 they still break. There is no workaround anymore.

And before someone says: Well it’s just preview so wait it out and see what happens!

The Preview versions of 5.2 and before were not doing this, which means that in the case of 5.5 prev, it’s most likely the same problem carried over from 5.3 and 5.4.

There are the kinds of usual issues with Unreal that you can manage by finding another way around something, but this kind of issue is detrimental to the software itself, since animation is EVERYTHING in a game engine. If that’s not working right, then the whole thing falls apart and becomes totally useless.

3 Likes

thanks for the fix (link to the github repository doesn’t work tho)

for UE team, here’s a insight snapshot (red is with the default camera behavior where multiple frames spike because of the HitProxy readback, green is with the change applied where only one frame is affected by the slow readback)

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a preview, it’s going to be buggy.

Same here, did you resolve this?

I found out that the reason it wasn’t working was because key input capturing for X11 apps wasn’t enabled in Plasma, and thus that was an issue when using Wayland. Not everyone will know this, and Wayland is the default on Linux, so I’m hoping Epic irons out support alongside working towards HDR support on the Linux client.

Hi @EddieChristian this content will be released few weeks after the oficial UE5.5 release

I wish we can get the full 5.5 release by now. I just don’t feel like waiting for so long already. And I know the full release is till next month on November. But I want to use the megalights and nanite skeletal mesh already. And while it’s fully 100% stabled. you know? :weary:

Thanks :slight_smile: But I do wish they would give us one example, So we could actually test things.

:point_up: I guess UE5 is preview then. There’s yet to be a stable release. Skeletal mesh (uv tearing) export, VR, animation import, landscapes, world comp, lumen and nanite, Chaos has never been stable, webrtc has leaked memory for pixel streaming across 3 UE5 versions! …. at some point something has always been an issue and it’s been its core suffering at the hands of experimental features.

2 Likes

I could not agree more with Uno1982.
UE5 has so much potential but while every release has a multitude of entirely new and very promising experimental features, most never reach a stable state, all the while adding more regression issues to existing features which mostly go ignored across multiple releases.
Which is why unfortunately after two years of trying to upgrade our VR-based pipeline to UE5 we are still stuck on 4.27.

5 Likes

Its not broken for everyone, so you probably need to be more specific.

Fbx animation import just fine from me (3ds max to unreal).

Did you not see the video?

As far as fbx cutting UV seams its been documented since 4.27 and has been an issue since.
Skeletal mesh importer cuts mesh over UV seams - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Shadows broken in VR - (which I’ve branched a shaders directory from main and upkept every hotfix regression)
UE5.4 (and 5.4.1) shadows are broken in VR (VR Template, default settings) - General / Issues and Bug Reporting - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Pixel Streaming Memory Leaks - (Which I committed a PR for and it regressed after stomping from a fortnite merge.)
memory leaks in pixel streaming(5.21) - Programming & Scripting / Multiplayer & Networking - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)
UE 5.2.1 Pixel Streaming performance problem - Development / Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Enhanced Input Local Multiplayer issues
5.1 local multiplayer not working - Development / Getting Started & Setup - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Level Blueprint variable panel request (5+ years and counting)
[Question] About Level Blueprint variable - Development / Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

At the end of they day there are 1.9k PRs open against the unreal engine repo. There are just as many bug reports / tickets covering CORE features and issues… yet instead of saying hey we fixed something that used to work in UE4 and broke in UE5 (VR instanced stereo, online subsystems interface actually working with steam, OpenXR, steam input, Enhanced input system and local player functionality / context assignment, FBX stability, Physics performance and stability, a functional and reliable replication and NETGUID seamless travel behavior, paper2d and 2D workflow support) … we get substrate and megalights and a ton of other film and non core related experimental features and developers still needing to rely on AdvancedSessions for a “use lobbies bool” that should have been added to the standard session node years ago. We are still working with a 2D workflow that has been considered experimental/beta since 4.3 in 2014. I “personally” don’t really care too much about BP support because for me it’s easy to just expand via bp libraries or subsystems to help the community and fix things or add PRs back to plugins like Advanced Sessions. However epic hails BPs as its scripting language and 99% of unreal devs (many of which I support) start out in BP and it still cannot be used to the capacity for server travel or joining a “lobby session” or many other rather simple core features… and guess what!!! We have UEFN and verse now!!! … When in my opinion BPs aren’t even kept to the standard they should be (destroyed data assets and structs anyone?) At some point you just gotta start asking why and giving some tough love feedback.
uno1982/UE4.27_OnlineSubsystemSteamFix: Fix to issues with UE4.27.2 binary engine module (github.com)

Please don’t take anything here the wrong way as again… I LOVE this engine and I’m actively attempting to document fix or provide paths to take to work around most of these things. It’s just exhausting taking 2 steps back for every step forward.

7 Likes

I have no problems with plugins. So, if a new controller needs a plugin, so be it. It works.

I guess the fact that Unity has focused heavily on 2D offers a lot of benefits in that respect and has the edige. The stuff I want to do with sprites, Paper2D/ZD does what I need.

I started as a Unity Dev and jumped to UE about 7 years ago pretty much as an experiment and VR apps up and running inside 2 weeks. Unity has its place and it seems to me, given I still help out with a lot of Unity content, that it has gone severely downhill over the years. it is buggy and UE flipped the C++ speeds vs Unity C# argument around. I use the exact same setup for both and the performance for UE C++ is about twice or more as fast as the C# and It used to be completely the opposite.

I pretty much use both daily and not a lot of folks can say that.

1 Like

Again I think you missed the point. The controller “device-id” needs to be added to a plugin that is only supported by legacy input not EIS and the application has to be patched for every device outside of xinput. I also don’t have issues with plugins. I literally write them for multiple engines.

I use unreal primarily for 3D, Unity for 2D but doing more and more in Godot every week. Using the right tool for the job is just common sense.

Having the ability to separate yourself and your use case from “everyone elses” takes a bit of patience. I’d say every “engineer” or senior level developer that’s been doing this for over 5 years (that’s about how long I stuck to a single engine) has some experience outside of unreal and with multiple languages. By year 3 in my first career I was full stack application dev III and even then it wasn’t until I was an industrial automation engineer I realized software engineering and understanding robotics and IIOT are two different worlds (heavy on the low level languages) SCADA, PLCs, Robotics Controllers…
I definitely don’t want to give away my age or sit here throwing creds around like that devalues anyone else experience but given you slung 7 years experience at me I figure it’s something you value. I have kids older than that and was 27 when my first was born ….During your career you’ll have an opportunity to grow and use a lot of different tools so like any I’ve had the chance of getting my head around I’ll definitely defend each for their strengths and push for improvements on their weaknesses. It’s kind of like being a parent. When you care it’s hard to just sit there. You want to help guide, give feedback and support. That’s why I’ll go back to my original statement of defending something you love purely on the grounds that you love it is a double edge sword if you want it to grow and be better. Sometimes it is inexperience and those inexperienced can be also helped or guided and eventually add to the family to continue to push the engine forward. The OP that you responded to for instance could have used guidance on some things but was absolutely right on others and your feedback came off as blindly defensive of the engine and unsupportive of the “need” of the original OP. I’m not going to beat around the bush here I’ll frankly say it. For someone with so many years experience your empathy and personal skills come off a bit harsh. I only say that because you took the time to actually respond to something that once done articulating gave the impression you were above it and the OP was just an idiot. Unreal is great it can do everything, and the OP was out of pocket even reaching out to the community. Ironically you still found it a good spot to slip in and correct the OP.

Best Unreal Engine AI plugins + ChatGPT Unreal Engine Plugins (inworld.ai)

Yeah bud sorry … alot of us are just making due with what is there and are adding to the existing plugin for each project we tackle. If you would like AI and great 2D tools then I’d say go check out the Unite talk here. Some really good stuff packed in here.
Say hello to new 2D workflows and AI enhancements | Unite 2024 (youtube.com)

1 Like

As it happens, I found your reply to the preview announcement when interested in what UE5.5 offered, not what it didn’t. Given my experience starts before Unreal (the game, not the engine) was even released, I’d say I have a pretty good vision of the industry and thought I’d point out a few opinions on what is and is not lacking. In no way I am saying the Engine is perfect, no such thing, but I know what I like and don’t like.

What actually appeared in your original post was, what appeared, an agressive attack on people here rather than a simple ask for help or request for features, IMO and again your reply here appears to also be exactly that.

So, perhaps, before attacking others for commenting on what you said, perhaps consider how you may have worded that.

for example, in the case of the comment on 2D/ZD, instead of saying that UE doesn’t really do 2D, say,

“While the Unreal Engine has some 2D features, It would be great if we could see features such as …”

it’s far more gentle and will receive more positive responses.

I don’t see where I’ve attacked anyone here … not even you. You corrected the OP with your opinion and I corrected your opinion with the same energy initially… but actually gave probably too much effort since I can see your taking my feedback on your opinion as a personal attack or something… Again I’m sorry. But I do think you have me confused with the OP as my first post was actually to help bring light to a bug that is very long running that I was hoping a PR that is sitting in source would be approved to fix.

However if anyone here was quoted “including you” and felt attacked I’m sorry. I truely am. Every post here has been pointing out issues. I’m not blaming “any particular person” as I understand the polictics and the work involved.

I see that need you had to validate yourself again.

Just a tip from one experienced guy to another. Source is available to seat holders long before preview announcements are made :slight_smile:
I’ve been tracking issues and helping the community as much as I can for quite some time and usually trying to get Infront of deep rooted issues before a binary build is cut to launcher.

Again I’m sorry If I offended you and you or others perceived my defense of the OP as an attack. I simply felt there were 3 areas in the OP’s post that desirved a little more than your opinion of AI- “No thanks” and “EIS is fine” and “2D does everything it needs to”

The above is great advice … I actually mentioned having empathy towards others in my last reply. I’d only add keep in mind who’s actually saying what if/when you allow your emotions to drive your articulation… as my statement was this.

1 Like

I was debating one last reply so here goes.

First, I am certainly not trying to validate myself. It is a fact. A Statement Needs no validation, not from me, my colleagues or anyone else for that matter. Whatever anyone else says, that does not change and tomorrow is just one more day of experience.

With respect to AI, I do help out many people improve their Game Engine Skills and Development skills in general. Around 90% of the time When they start with “I used ChatGPT or this AI engine or that AI engine in Game Engine X and it told me to do this and it doesn’t work” they follow up with “so can you help me fix it?” usually strengthens my cynicism about AI-based tools such as ChatGPT. It’s what it is.

A key point about AI tools that is the company I work for has a blanket ban for all use of AI tools. There are a number of reasons and privacy being the number one reason. You’ve probably seen or read about the legal actions taken against AI Engines harvesting details regardless of copyright so this is actually a serious concern. Integrating tools that may expose information that you don’t have control over so you have to ask, is incorporating AI features as default into tools sensible given they could lose business long-term?

So, I offered an opinion (a number of opionions) and I always say opinions are subjective so we can agree to differ here. If it was taken out of context and offended anyone, sorry and yes, the 2D stuff. But I am entitled to this view, they are entitled to their view. Perhaps I should have taken more time formulating my reply. For everyone I work with, The engine is more than adequate for the needs and always room for improvement. The Unreal Engine is not perfect. Live coding is a complete mess as a perfect example, but if you know how to use it, it works after a fashion. It is particularly frustrating in larger C++ projects. Half the time I run the code from command-line to test so I don’t have to keep closing and opening the engine.

To further the discussion of 2D - This is actually interesting. For what I need 2D for, UE does exactly what I need and so perhaps my opinion was tainted by this. Using the engine for what I do is total and complete overkill. A colleague was like “Why even bother with 2D in Unreal? it’s like using a sledgehammer to push in a thumb tack” and he actually has a point. 2D in UE is a toy to have fun with and if I had to do any serious 2D work, probably I’d use Godot or Unity instead. I guess one of the strongest points about using UE for 2D is blueprint.

Anyway, hopefully we can draw a line under this.

1 Like