Unreal Engine 5.5 Preview

I was good before your last reply as I gained understanding that based on your responses you had me confused … it was more and more obvious as you outlined the discussion and quoted things I never said. As far as your experience and validation goes… When it is beneath you it will be. Eventually you’ll get to a point where you’ll realize that the only person you have to prove anything to is yourself and anyone else is a waisted effort. What i’ve learned that isn’t waisted is (paying tides) so to speak… If your blessed with something and your good at it… You get better from approaching other people’s problems a lot faster than if you focus solely on yourself. You’ll tackle alot more and gain that exact thing “experience” … the ability to both prove your experience to yourself and by default allowing others to benefit while judging your “actions”.

As far as AI in that context I understand. My previous company was like yours … the whole “Cars can’t drive on these roads paved by Horses” mentality. Most Tech companies (Like my current) that want to continue to be on the cutting edge and offer Github Co-Pilot or tools to make engineers more efficient will spin up their own private LLM or go with enterprise offerings by the larger players “AWS, Meta, Google”. I’m not at an art studio while we do have designers … AI isn’t isolated to copyright theft and taking away designer jobs no differently than the internet exist solely to pirate software/games and music. I try to keep an cautious open mind as you stated earlier you had an interest in VR when the masses are still claiming it’s a fad. I also dove heavy into this space so we have something in common :slight_smile:

For everyone else here looking for 5.5 preview update or issues. I’ll take the moment to self reflect and apologize that so much of this forum has been filled with this dialog.

Upon looking back at these post I’m sorry for your scroll finger or mouse wheel.

I wish you well :slight_smile:

1 Like

VSMs causing serious issues on meshes(look at the black spots on sphere). These go away after switching to CSM.

Also, was looking back at some UE4 materials and base instruction cost was way lower and pretty much looked the same. This is just a UE5 problem in general.

Yeah the unfortunate truth is they expect developers to dig in and start turning off all these “film and virtual production” features individually it appears as they toss more in to appease the Disney’s and Weather Channels using the engine now. With every release I have to go back through each scalability setting with a fine tooth comb and do like you where I test between CMS and VSM, Lumen cvars, forward vs deferred for each project I work on vs the target I plan to hit and balance it with the performance I want.
I really dislike this focus the industry is in with temporal upscalers and post process samplers with methods to capture velocities of every material so it can be smoothed out in post. Its a blurry (TAA) or smeared artifact producing mess and the benefits of a PP AA solution (performance) is starting to be quickly outweighed when it’s approaching twice the cost of MSAA and other superior quality AA methods. I’d go so far as to say TSR isn’t even a “game feature” and is primarily focused on supporting “real-time” film rendering with lumen at something closer to 24 fps so they don’t have to wait on pathtrace renders. Its just being slammed into the engine as “default” to show it off.
Unfortunately the floor isn’t very low anymore and the engine defaults are approaching targeting a RTX 1080 for 75fps. I talked about this in the thread below where my 2080 was hitting 120fps in 5.1 vs 75/80 in 5.5. There is still forward rendering which is very fast and automatically turns off VSM, substrate, Lumen and gives you MSAA which is amazing for lower spec platform targets. But yeah if you want decent lighting AND to hit a steamdeck or switch on deferred… Well… Buckle up and whip out the cvar viewer plugin and profiler.
UNREAL ENGINE 5.4 EXTREMELY BAD PERFORMANCE - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

4 Likes

We need far better indirect lighting for forward.

But TAA is extremely cursed since it would be an easy fix for the engine programmers to implement two frame/two sample hybrid post AA/TAA (no accumulation buffer were ghosting happens). This would be SO much cheaper than TSR and actually help jagged edges.

TSR looks bad in motion and cost insane. Many other engines have lightmap alternative lightings far cheaper than Lumen but Lumen will always cost the same in a static or dynamic environment.

OMG this! lol … If I had a dollar for every topic all over the internet screaming this. Most ppl drop TSR and TAA and go with a custom AA method via source mods or just go with DLSS as its the lesser of the evils. But yes… we need actual engine native solutions that aren’t 4x as expensive as previous methods or clearly outlines the intent of use and doesn’t just slap it into every single material function (TAA) to work in that rendering pass.

Currently if you want to see some of the best that “Unreal Engine” has to offer from a performance and quality standpoint I’d say go check out Throne and Liberty. It’s a testament to UE4 [I miss it :frowning: ] stability performance and networking and runs butter smooth with 100s of characters on screen with some of the largest vantage points I’ve seen.

2 Likes

doesn’t just slap it into every single material function (TAA) to work in that rendering pass.

Well you got 169+ devs who want a more TAA independency in the engine. You should probably vote for it to make it an even number :wink:

(edit, didn’t see your name on the votes?)

And thanks for the reference, I’ll check it out.

Haha … yeah 1 of those votes are already mine :wink:

1 Like

Basic Skeletal Mesh Component Set doesnt update in 5.5 preview. I got a really basic setup in the pic whenever I go to refresh the variable the “Set Skeletal Mesh Asset” doesn’t update only on compile which makes no sense. This only in 5.5 preview.

See no mesh update even on empty.

Time for an Update :slight_smile: And Where is FAB???

Unreal Engine 5.5 Preview is a game-changer, elevating creativity to new heights! With enhanced features like the Lumen global illumination system and Nanite virtualized geometry, developers can easily craft stunningly realistic worlds. The intuitive interface empowers creators, while powerful performance optimizations ensure smooth gameplay. Dive into the future of game development and experience unparalleled realism and efficiency. Get ready to unleash your imagination like never before!

Looks like bots are in now.

Lumen and nanite have been in the engine for years now.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that’s a dream with in a dream. Tim Sweeney’s ongoing Apple feud is obviously effecting things here. It isn’t the technical challenge they want you to imagine. I wish I could release what we have in house :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah I wish that was over and everybody would be friends again :smiley:

Good Day, I’m not sure where to post this. I would like to find out if you guys would consider having a option in your game engine for blender users like myself to be able to select a option for blender controls and navigation please, please, please. The default controls are all over the place.